Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a month ago I noticed a slight clunking when going from forward to reverse in my tractor. It's a hydrostatic type tractor using a shuttle shift. Seemed to be clutch related, I abuse the crap out of my tractor and right away assumed it was the clutch. Figured I would baby it for the winter for snow removal then split it and fix in the spring. The clunking keep coming and going away. Then it seemed like it might be the rear grapple but I couldn't find anything wrong there either. Today I took the rear grapple off and installed my front mount power angle blade. Mounted it, connected the hoses and cycled the blade a few times to make sure hoses were connected right. I could hear and feel a clunk when I angled it back and forth. Sure sounded like it came from rear end. Then the light went on in my head. Jumped out and checked the rear tire rim and sure enough 4 bolts had fallen out and the 2 remaining studs were loose. Can't believe that wasn't the 1st thing I checked. When I told my wife she gave me crap and said " what is it you always tell everyone" "check the easy things 1st". Have to head to the Kubota dealer tomorrow and get new ones. I sure hope it is the issue. Bottom line fellas when you get old don't forget to check your nuts.
View attachment 549340
Well. . . that's not good. Looks like were gonna have to make you fillout a Tractor pre and post use check list. . . lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

About a month ago I noticed a slight clunking when going from forward to reverse in my tractor. It's a hydrostatic type tractor using a shuttle shift. Seemed to be clutch related, I abuse the crap out of my tractor and right away assumed it was the clutch. Figured I would baby it for the winter for snow removal then split it and fix in the spring. The clunking keep coming and going away. Then it seemed like it might be the rear grapple but I couldn't find anything wrong there either. Today I took the rear grapple off and installed my front mount power angle blade. Mounted it, connected the hoses and cycled the blade a few times to make sure hoses were connected right. I could hear and feel a clunk when I angled it back and forth. Sure sounded like it came from rear end. Then the light went on in my head. Jumped out and checked the rear tire rim and sure enough 4 bolts had fallen out and the 2 remaining studs were loose. Can't believe that wasn't the 1st thing I checked. When I told my wife she gave me crap and said " what is it you always tell everyone" "check the easy things 1st". Have to head to the Kubota dealer tomorrow and get new ones. I sure hope it is the issue. Bottom line fellas when you get old don't forget to check your nuts.
View attachment 549340
Lucky!

I had lug bolts on my truck work loose one time and thought my bearings were bad. Pulled the hubcap off and three broken studs and bolts fell out.

View attachment 549340

The only time I had the wheels of my Kubota was to swap out the R4's with turf tires. Took them off again yesterday to install spacers so I can chain up the tires and was surprised to notice how loose the 4 bolts and 2 nuts were. One side I could tell there was movement between the wheel and the axle.

holy crap Zog. you got more snow than we do here. 17* here now and dropping. good scrounging weather tomorrow morning.
Everything is loaded but the saws .
Keeping them warm till morning lol
I may not start till 9 let it warm up some will have pics tomorrow night

The worse part is that this has happened before, the bolts were loose when I bought the tractor years ago. My wife is a bus driver and she said the same thing " should have done your circle check". This is the 1st time the tractor has been in the shop in awhile so I was going over other stuff too and still never checked the rim nuts. Think I might lock tite them this time. Says to be torqued to 160 lbs.

Linus is 60 lbs of solid muscle, fast as heck, and you don't want to play wrestle with him (he sways his head back and forth like a furious Alligator). But the has very short hair, does not shed, and is pretty much bald underneath.

Usually a very good natured dog, but when he got a hold of that Raccoon, he showed what he is capable of doing! It was almost scary!

Attachments

• Linus3-24-16-3of3.JPG
    Linus3-24-16-3of3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Linus is 60 lbs of solid muscle, fast as heck, and you don't want to play wrestle with him (he sways his head back and forth like a furious Alligator). But the has very short hair, does not shed, and is pretty much bald underneath.

Usually a very good natured dog, but when he got a hold of that Raccoon, he showed what he is capable of doing! It was almost scary!
That's a good looking dog sir. They sure can flip a switch if the need arises.IMG_20161211_132109.jpgmine are usually like this we have 3 small dogs in the house also that there perfectly fine with. My male on the right brought me a fox one night let him out he bolted for the wind break all I heard was yip yip yelp and he came out swingin that fox like a rope toy. We had chickens and Guinea at the time so didn't really upset me when he dropped it at my feet.

That's a good looking dog sir. They sure can flip a switch if the need arises.View attachment 549445mine are usually like this we have 3 small dogs in the house also that there perfectly fine with. My male on the right brought me a fox one night let him out he bolted for the wind break all I heard was yip yip yelp and he came out swingin that fox like a rope toy. We had chickens and Guinea at the time so didn't really upset me when he dropped it at my feet.
Only thing my little dogs will catch is a squeaky toy

Only thing my little dogs will catch is a squeaky toy
IMG_20160718_083338.jpgThis is the fox slayer he's Pit/Canecorso mix. About 65-70 pounds. The mutant pomapoo we have will go head first down a ground hog hole and pull them out by there face.

Attachments

• IMG_20160815_080626.jpg
    IMG_20160815_080626.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 8

I am not a dog person. . .what kinda dog is that? A giant Shitzu? He looks is very handsome. . .almost stately in that picture.
When we were kids we had a brittney spaniel. . .that dog would not only eat the cats turds he would eat his own. . . we would look out in the yard and there was good ole kirby scarfing down his own BM.

Sorry, but I felt that tidbit of information would bring added value to the Arboristsite.
I can honestly say I never liked that dog....

I am not a dog person. . .what kinda dog is that? A giant Shitzu? He looks is very handsome. . .almost stately in that picture.
When we were kids we had a brittney spaniel. . .that dog would not only eat the cats turds he would eat his own. . . we would look out in the yard and there was good ole kirby scarfing down his own BM.

Sorry, but I felt that tidbit of information would bring added value to the Arboristsite.

Our neigbors had a dog that would do that. I always joked that he was a "self cleaning" dog. And I mean he would literally wolf down his own turds the minute they hit the ground. It was gross to think about but pretty comical to watch a few times.

We had him DNA tested, and the results were a little surprising.

He is primarily Boxer & Pit (no surprise there), but he also has Australian Shepard (where is the hair), Great Dane, and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!

He is very handsome (with his golden eyes), very muscular, and very sleek. He is good natured, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Lucy (50 lbs) is the dominant one. Sometime Lucy will come over for you to pet her, then Linus will come over and squeeze in between. Lucy, unfazed, will run off a get a toy and start playing with it. Linus will then want the toy, which Lucy let's him take, then she will come back to resume being pet!

Attachments

• L&L1-5-16.JPG
    L&L1-5-16.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
We had him DNA tested, and the results were a little surprising.

He is primarily Boxer & Pit (no surprise there), but he also has Australian Shepard (where is the hair), Great Dane, and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!

He is very handsome (with his golden eyes), very muscular, and very sleek. He is good natured, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Lucy (50 lbs) is the dominant one. Sometime Lucy will come over for you to pet her, then Linus will come over and squeeze in between. Lucy, unfazed, will run off a get a toy and start playing with it. Linus will then want the toy, which Lucy let's him take, then she will come back to resume being pet!
That is pretty funny that she has him figured out.

Didn't know they did DNA tests for dogs. I recently did one through ancestry.com and my main bloodlines were mostly not much of a surprise but one was significantly less than expected and the trace bloodlines were totally unexpected.

Lucy's DNA results were also a bit surprising. She is Pit, Newfoundland and Bull Terrier. (We thought she had Boston Terrier).

You would think Lucy got nothing from the Newfoundland but her color (she certainly did not get the size or fur), but she loves to swim, and steers with her tail. These characteristics were no doubt inherited from that breed. (They use Newfoundlands for water rescue).

Linus likely inherited his running speed and his great nose from the Duck Tolling Retriever, they use them for ski rescue, but he did not inherit their warm coat. Their nose is so good they find buried skiers no problem!

I've always been a little skeptical of the DNA testing for dogs - a few years back someone did a test where they sent samples to 3 different laboratories and got 3 different analyses. Might be more accurate now, but we're keeping the dog anyway, and she has been spayed, so not sure how important it is to have a named breed or mix.

People ask and I tell them she's an 'I Don't Know', or a 'Good Dog'. People like to guess, so afterwards I go on-line and look up all these species that I never heard of to compare photos.

A family friend is involved in dog rescue and fostering - every dog she has is listed as a 'Sweet Girl' or a 'Sweet Boy'. Might be new breeds?

Philbert

Latest posts

Back