Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ambullo1:
Did you get that HD Makita 6421? I can't remember everythng.
After three years pestering the rental manager, I scored.
Cost me 250 with an extra chain (junk), pretty decent shape for a rental.
I had planed to install my spare OEM 7900 P&C but it blew 170# and piston looked great, I figured leave it alone until it needs it. My 6401 didn't look much better and I bought it new.
New air cleaner, rim sprocket and grease the clutch bearing and it was ready.
I had to do some fancy fiddling to remove the epoxied H needle in the carb.
I also opened the muffler and removed the cat. blasted thing got so hot it started to melt the plastic.
I think my grandson Mike will end up with it, I do have a Makita 6401 and a Dolmar 7900, don't really need another.
His baby Stihl can't cut the mustard on some of the wood he brings me,has to borrow my saw to get it done.
Bottom line, Dolmar/Makitas are great saws. In fact Black Jac Shellac, the famos northwoods lumberjack used a Sachs-Dolmar 125cc with a four foot bar to clearcut the Sahara Forest. Some dude in Palestine needed a lot of wood to build a temple.

Hey Ambullo1:
Did you get that HD Makita 6421? I can't remember everythng.
After three years pestering the rental manager, I scored.
Cost me 250 with an extra chain (junk), pretty decent shape for a rental.
I had planed to install my spare OEM 7900 P&C but it blew 170# and piston looked great, I figured leave it alone until it needs it. My 6401 didn't look much better and I bought it new.
New air cleaner, rim sprocket and grease the clutch bearing and it was ready.
I had to do some fancy fiddling to remove the epoxied H needle in the carb.
I also opened the muffler and removed the cat. blasted thing got so hot it started to melt the plastic.
I think my grandson Mike will end up with it, I do have a Makita 6401 and a Dolmar 7900, don't really need another.
His baby Stihl can't cut the mustard on some of the wood he brings me,has to borrow my saw to get it done.
Bottom line, Dolmar/Makitas are great saws. In fact Black Jac Shellac, the famos northwoods lumberjack used a Sachs-Dolmar 125cc with a four foot bar to clearcut the Sahara Forest. Some dude in Palestine needed a lot of wood to build a temple.

Yes sir, I got it. I was actually thinking about messaging you since I read one of your older posts that mentioned a Makita.

There's actually 27 Home Depots near my house and job so I called every one of them. It looks to be in great shape which is surprising after taking 2-3 years of abuse from homeowners like myself.

I was thinking about the 79cc top end but I'll save that for later. Going from a 33cc Homelite to a 64cc already so figured I should get used to the additional power plus longer bar before going nuts.

Where do you pick up new air cleaners? Is it just a off the shelf variety that can be bought in any chainsaw shop? Probably don't need one right now since HD put a new one on plus a new plug. Rim sprocket, is there a huge difference vs the spur (I think that's the name for it)?

Removal of cat, want to do that. Haha, just made a Dr Seuss rhyme! Have to figure out how to remove the crimp first.

Only thing I really wish is a way to make this Makita look like a Dolmar. Man, those Dolmars are some sexy looking saws.

Well, I got out the 066 to cut up the big stuff today. Man did it fly compared to cutting my usual dead dry oak firewood stuff. Just about through the first cut & found a rock embedded in the tree. Another unexpected surprise. At a casual glance it didn't mess up the chain too bad. Got out another chain & made the rest of the cuts. Used the 026 to nibble around the rock & got a big lever in the cut & opened it up some. Then I got the edge of the front end loader in it & popped it apart.

t3.jpg

Yes sir, I got it. I was actually thinking about messaging you since I read one of your older posts that mentioned a Makita.

There's actually 27 Home Depots near my house and job so I called every one of them. It looks to be in great shape which is surprising after taking 2-3 years of abuse from homeowners like myself.

I was thinking about the 79cc top end but I'll save that for later. Going from a 33cc Homelite to a 64cc already so figured I should get used to the additional power plus longer bar before going nuts.

Where do you pick up new air cleaners? Is it just a off the shelf variety that can be bought in any chainsaw shop? Probably don't need one right now since HD put a new one on plus a new plug. Rim sprocket, is there a huge difference vs the spur (I think that's the name for it)?

Removal of cat, want to do that. Haha, just made a Dr Seuss rhyme! Have to figure out how to remove the crimp first.

Only thing I really wish is a way to make this Makita look like a Dolmar. Man, those Dolmars are some sexy looking saws.

As long as they have the klingon warspikes, doesn't matter what color they are, still bada**

As long as they have the klingon warspikes, doesn't matter what color they are, still bada**

The mechanic is done with it. Hopefully I can pick it up tonight!!! May get some non-e gas or just use 93 octane with the Stihl full synthetic mix and go bat sh*% crazy on Friday. I have the whole day to cut and scrounge. Plus no wife around for to-do list reminders.

Enjoy, always nice to have a new (to U) saw!

Will do. I think I may pick up some adjustable saw horses as a log holder. Plus I want to use them as a ghetto squat rack.

I'm surprised you figured out I got a new saw. I know you have a little trouble with reading comprehension. Just kidding. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back