Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drink a lot of water in the summer especially but need something with a little taste as well.

I know what you mean. I get sick of drinking water after a while. Just read my last post again, sorry for coming across as a know it all/jerk. You probably know by now that's not true, I know very little lol.

I kind of despise Gatorade. It's just sugar water with some sodium and potassium. Supposedly it may help with prolonged physical activity but most people don't need to be drinking it. My kids hate the day I started to read about what we're putting into our bodies. Now they're not allowed a lot of sugary things. Anyways, good luck with the cutting. Have to get back into my basement and put my power rack together. Bought it for $100!

All this warm weather is making me twitchy. I need the snow to melt and to find a good scrounge. I took the saw down today just to remember what she looked like. I have not run a saw since September. Then with the change of the seasons I have the urge to buy another saw to compliment my 50cc MS271. I still haven't figured out how to convince the wife that I "need" a new saw.

I'd be more than twitchy if I went 6 months without running a saw. That's much too long for me. :)

I've been lucky that I'm helping on that hillside clear cut we've been doing. I've been running saws every weekend lately. More than just scrounging some wood it gives me the chance to run projects I've built over the winter. Not to mention it's the only form of excersize I get during the winter.

All this warm weather is making me twitchy. I need the snow to melt and to find a good scrounge. I took the saw down today just to remember what she looked like. I have not run a saw since September. Then with the change of the seasons I have the urge to buy another saw to compliment my 50cc MS271. I still haven't figured out how to convince the wife that I "need" a new saw.
Some times it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. There's a fine line though.

My new saw is due to arrive on Thursday. Purchased an old Husqvarna 285. My current 3 saw plan is my Jonsered 2159, Husky 365 and the new 285. The 365 is a clunker but still manages to bury the 20" bar so I keep it around. Would like to replace it with a 372 so I have 60, 70 85 cc 3 saw plan.

Did you build the power rack you sent me?

Nah, I was planning to then saw a power rack on CL. It's a TDS rack sold/built by New York Barbell. Did a quick online research to see user response/reviews and all seemed good. Supposed to handle up to 1k lbs which I will never reach lol. Should keep me strong for many years of firewood scrounging.

If you are doing extreme workouts, water alone is not sufficient. While I do not like all the extra junk in gatorade, it does work. If I need to use it, I cut it 50% with water. When I ride (the bike) I generally use the Hammer products HEED & Perpetuem (50/50).

With water alone you will lack energy and you will cramp. Not one of the people I ride with fill their bottles with just water.

If you are doing extreme workouts, water alone is not sufficient. While I do not like all the extra junk in gatorade, it does work. If I need to use it, I cut it 50% with water. When I ride (the bike) I generally use the Hammer products HEED & Perpetuem (50/50).

With water alone you will lack energy and you will cramp. Not one of the people I ride with fill their bottles with just water.

Maybe. I'll probably be called out again for derailing this thread but oh well. I've been lead to believe cramps are caused by dehydration. Turns out that's not really the case.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/dehydration-doesnt-cause-muscle-cramps

About needing Gatorade/sports drinks for intense exercise:

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Myth-buster-Sports-drinks-vs-water-3954196.php

There's more studies that show they're not really needed. They are really convenient though.

I will have to look into the Hammer products. I just ordered protein powered for my wife and it came with a free tub of a hydration powder with electrolytes, salt and minerals. I may give it a try it when I get a good scrounge and will need to work my butt off. The product is called "Balanced Hydration" by Nutri Force.

you don't "need" a new saw you have to "have" a new saw. tell her it's an AS requirement. :crazy:

During the summer when its really hot all we drink is ice water all day, nobody has flipped over and died yet. All that other crap has too much sugar in it.

Amen

Ambull, maybe you should start a nutritional thread.

No thanks. I'm not a scientist, just a finance guy. I'll never be able to speak in scientific terms, if that makes sense. I apologize to everyone that comes to this thread to read about scrounging and instead have to sift through diet/nutrition crap.

No sugar in the Hammer products. You will get dizzy if U run low on salt, and cramps if your run low on electrolytes.

HEED gives you electrolytes, Perpetuem also gives you some protein. Be careful, while the protein will give you extended energy, you have to make sure you hydrate enough to flush it through your system. That is why I use 50/50. Also, protein will go "bad" if it gets too warm, electrolytes alone (HEED) will not.

Chis, I believe you, I knew you guys were slacking (Ha, Ha, Ha). In reality, you likely take breaks to eat, which give you what you need. Water alone will not.

Often, on an intense bike ride, you just drink, so you need the electrolytes in the bottle.

Some times it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. There's a fine line though.

My new saw is due to arrive on Thursday. Purchased an old Husqvarna 285. My current 3 saw plan is my Jonsered 2159, Husky 365 and the new 285. The 365 is a clunker but still manages to bury the 20" bar so I keep it around. Would like to replace it with a 372 so I have 60, 70 85 cc 3 saw plan.

You'll like that 285 when you get a chance to run it. Good torquey saw. Nice bark to it also. Sort of a junior 2100.

You'll like that 285 when you get a chance to run it. Good torquey saw. Nice bark to it also. Sort of a junior 2100.
Yes, I know. The only difference is a bigger cylinder and piston to make it a 2100. They both share that same sound at idle that sounds like a CR500 ping. I have a 2100 too but its technically my fathers and it needs work so Im not counting it. I REALLY would like to own a 298XP, as far as I can tell its a 2100 but a higher reving saw, and lighter... The 285 will get a 8 pin rim and a 24" bar for now. I wont get into anything bigger than that in most cases. If it pulls the 8 pin rim like a boss I might try a 9 pin rim. Eventually I want to get an Alaskan mill and rip some lumber to build my wife a lean-to for horses.

I got to run a 2100 at the Georgia GTG and liked it *a lot*. I can see the cult status with it as a classic muscle saw. It didn't seem all that heavy in the hands and had as much power as most guys or situations would ever need.

Have not run a 285 or 288 yet though.

Latest posts

Back