Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jokingly told the wife I wanted 1 for Xmas and sure enought thsts what I got. Use it all the time. Just don't grab the white paint can in winter when it's snowing.

lol nice!! My firewood stack looks pathetic. Stuff sticking out everywhere. Almost want to cover it to hide that eye sore. Kinda looks like a blind guy cut it.

My view on the firewood stacks:
1. Is it off the ground?
2. Is it stacked in some semblance of order and not a pile?

If then answer to question 1 and 2 are yes then I am good to go.

I care, my stacks sit for 4 to 6 years, the straighter the wood, the straighter the stack, the longer it stays up.
How does the cross cut length of the wood affect the straightness of the piece being cut or the straightness of your stack? Crooked wood is tough to stack and just need to be worked into the stack, no getting around that. I cant think of any reason slightly shorter chunks would effect the stack unless you are more than 6" shorter than the average length but even then a stray piece here or there stacks right in... I can eye withing 2-3 inches and thats good enough for me. It a large time investment already, I couldnt imagine how much extra time it would take to be so picky.

I had this idea some years ago and tried to get oregon interested in it, but then I found out, very soon after that, that Stihl had already invented it. I *still* think it is spiffy neato cool.

Okay that's awesome. All you would need after that is a set of special eye protection that magnifies the laser so you can see it in full sunlight.

The problem with that laser is if you tip the saw slightly left or right the laser reference changes and will make your pieces longer or shorter, then your back to the same issue. I fail to see how this is any better than my calibrated eye.

Okay, mount the laser on the upright portion of the bar. Then tape/glue one of those small levelers on the chainsaw body.

The problem with that laser is if you tip the saw slightly left or right the laser reference changes and will make your pieces longer or shorter, then your back to the same issue. I fail to see how this is any better than my calibrated eye.

If you look at the vid, they set the saw down flat on the log, then drag the bar into the cut (to make a slight cut mark). they set little cut marks, with the saw flat, precisely to eliminate getting off. then you go back and finish bucking the log at your marks. Even without doing it that way, I don't see tipping it as much of a problem unless you do that all the time. Easier to see and feel perpendicular than distance length, as we have built in "up" being bipedal.

How it might be better is that some guys can eyeball better than others, same as any other skill. I can see say a commercial cutter wanting very exact uniform wood using one, or making the "new guy" on a crew use it until he gets the eyeball way down.

Although my idea was to have the works embedded inside the bar, but their idea is cool because you can mount it to most any bar I guess.

I'm an old woodworker, I can eyeball pretty fair as well, (plus aim good..tom clark match trick toot toot my horn!!!) but I'd still like one if they were cheap enough.

There has been quite a few listings from tree companies lately for free firewood on caigslist. I saw one down the street and called. They had 8 houses they hit today. Mostly elderly in that neighborhood and they wanted it gone. I went down before it got dark and loaded a trailer full. Kinda sucks there was a lot of pine. I found some maple I think.
06e423fd8bd5ffae74464503a6afe584.jpg

Something else to share... I made higher removable sides for my wagon to haul more firewood in. Turned out good. Used some free pallets that I salvaged.
f44081cc5028ad7b2e975cba0c4c985f.jpg

I know we have 2 days of warm weather coming and I wish it would hold off a little longer. We have a SOLID snow pack right now and I want it to stay that way for another week or two. I have some Ash trees on my property that I could be taking down and using my sled. It pulls so easily right now but if that pack gets soft or opens to ground it will be mud. I should have thought about this earlier but I just had the thought that I could easilly be moving it to my barn with little effort. The wife and kids are headed to her mothers for the weekend and few days next week so I could really make some progress on firewood if the snow pack holds out.

Latest posts

Back