Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a nice pic, it was prettier with the ole eyeballs. Haven't cut or scrounged in a long time, yesterday was the first day I could heft a bag of dogfood or mineral in quite awhile..anywho, moon over the primo oak heartwood stack this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20150403_200953.jpg
    IMG_20150403_200953.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 35
apparently wood on the side of the road is not the property owners, or there's a time limit. There was a pile of nice hard maple that the power crew took down last fall. I sign was immediately put up "do not take". Well the tree company was there today with a roll off, loading all the wood in and hauling it away. That sign kept me from inquiring about the wood, now it's gone. S.O.B

I had my knee scoped last week. I had a few hours this morning to burn and the wood rack in the garage was empty. So I thought the wife isn't home nobody will know. Off to cutting n splitting. I filled the face cord rack in 1 hour. I clean myself up and head to physical therapy. The first words out of the lady's mouth was " I hope your not dumb enough to cut wood already?" I said absolutely not. I'm not a fool. She then asks why my hat is covered in saw dust chips:dumb::angry::dumb2:

Some of the highways around here contract out the tree trimming and removals. Tree companies bid it and includes removing the firewood or logs and the chips. Take it and I would bet you get charged with theft. This is for trees that are on the road property, they don't trim the trees on private property. The measure from the center of the road to determine ownership of the trees.

Some of the highways around here contract out the tree trimming and removals. Tree companies bid it and includes removing the firewood or logs and the chips. Take it and I would bet you get charged with theft. This is for trees that are on the road property, they don't trim the trees on private property. The measure from the center of the road to determine ownership of the trees.
If the tree company left wood on the property I go ask the property owner for permission to have it. I have had several give it to me and that is where the majority of my scrounged wood comes from. If the tree company wants the wood they should take it, not leave it for a day or days. IMO its forfeited to the property owner if left and the only permission I need is the proeprty owners. The electric company has right of way to the property to maintain it fit for use however the property owner is not obligated to surrender the wood to the town/county/contractor that is maintaining the right of way. I would have to resort back to the fine print in the contract with the power company but believe the property owner would win if contended.

The property owner clearly had a sign up to not take the wood. It lasted all winter, maybe the d.o.t had issues with it over the winter and now that the snow is leaving the wood was able to be removed. I would love to know what they do with it when removed.

I was meaning highways and not power line right of ways. Power lines crossing private property are completely different. I would be sure it's in the fine print who gets the wood.
As for the highways, it would be the same as you cutting wood on your property and leaving it for a few weeks and someone came by and picked it up. Just because you left it sitting there it doesn't mean it's a free for all.
The County, Province, Township or whoever own the land and if you take it I would assume you would or could be charged with theft. Really no different than taking it out of their patrol yard. I think it all comes down to liability, nobody wants to get sued in this sue happy world. I think there would be a lot more giving acts if there wasn't a danger of being sued.
At work we used to have a free firewood area and had it for years until our insurance agent seen it during a routine walk thru. Bang, that was the end of the free firewood area, now we have a company provide us with dumpsters and the wood is taken away to be ground into mulch which they are happy to sell us. At least when we were giving it away it was being used by local people and everyone was happy, now it gets trucked 50 miles away which wastes even more fuel.

Why does AS force photos to layout lengthwise for the last few weeks?
mine have been doing the same. i have mine in the computer and when i want to upload one i just rotate it clock wise. and it seems to work. don't know about doing it from a phone.

I was meaning highways and not power line right of ways. Power lines crossing private property are completely different. I would be sure it's in the fine print who gets the wood.
As for the highways, it would be the same as you cutting wood on your property and leaving it for a few weeks and someone came by and picked it up. Just because you left it sitting there it doesn't mean it's a free for all.
The County, Province, Township or whoever own the land and if you take it I would assume you would or could be charged with theft. Really no different than taking it out of their patrol yard. I think it all comes down to liability, nobody wants to get sued in this sue happy world. I think there would be a lot more giving acts if there wasn't a danger of being sued.
At work we used to have a free firewood area and had it for years until our insurance agent seen it during a routine walk thru. Bang, that was the end of the free firewood area, now we have a company provide us with dumpsters and the wood is taken away to be ground into mulch which they are happy to sell us. At least when we were giving it away it was being used by local people and everyone was happy, now it gets trucked 50 miles away which wastes even more fuel.

I cant disagree with you but can only speak from my experience and so far each time the county left wood on the side of the road (power line or road right of way cuttings) I've always gone and asked the land owner if I can have it. In all cases so far the land owner was contacted by the cutters and they agreed to leave it for the land owner to clean up. What I've come to realize is the guys clearing the power line right of way are contracted to remove the waste material and nearly 90% of the time the wood is chipped and hauled away in the bucket truck. Only the logs that are too large to chip are left to rot by the contract cutters. The local county guys will offer to come back and take it but do so for self consumption. The contract cutters rarely have interest in taking trees in log form because they are contracted to cut like the entire county's power lines within 6 weeks. They dont have time to **** with firewood logs and the trucks they are driving are bucket/chip trucks. The county is a little different because they will swing by and pick up the wood with a grapple and box truck. When they do the workers take the wood home and in both cases all the land owners were asked if they want the firewood.

Lots of snow still!

My neighbor is mowing his lawn here... why I'm not sure because it's all wet and nothing has started to grow yet. For a normal winter we would still have snow right now, but we barely got anything.... go figure too, I bought a sled.

I've been a bit slack lately , too much snow in the woods and the tractor was buried , since today turned out to be a fair weather day I went to check up on the tractor , when I got there the 4+ foot of snow had shrunk down to about 3' so I decided to make a run for it LOL
I was just just gonna take a drive up the road with the van but since I had the tractor I figured I'd go for a few leaners if I could see some and get to them .
Found a few maples along this tree line .

IMG_20150403_135925.jpg

IMG_20150403_142950.jpg

This one looked good from the road but when I got close up I decided to pass on it , been there too long :(

I did manage to drag out a few tops today :)

IMG_20150403_151917.jpg

IMG_20150403_160513.jpg

It did make for a small load with the Zogger wood and the sun came out so it was a real nice afternoon out there :)

IMG_20150403_160518.jpg

I checked but no PI or ticks to be seen ;)

Oh, the Acadian flag in your aviator is interesting.

They had a big deal where I grew up in Maine last year, I think it was some milestone? I'm not too sure. I was back there about a month ago and alot of places had big yellow stars on them. My Mom said it was from the summer Acadian festival.

Do you know French? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiac That was my first language.

Hey VF , I had a daughter go to that event in Maine and she had a great time :)
Cost me plenty and Clint never sent me a thank-you card for sending him my tourist monies LOL
Chiac , while to some might be cool , as I get older , me not so much , I would liken it to Mexican mixed in with English and calling that a language , Shyte comes to mind as a good name for it ....
Yup , we got plenty of snow , enough to export to LA LOL

Marshy, these guys aren't County guys these are tree companies that are contracting to do the trimming and removals on Provincials and County highways. They sell the chips and firewood.
Lots of our Provincial highways are contracting out all the work now, maintenance, grass cutting, snow plowing, pot hole fixing. Cheaper than having full time employees I guess.
This is one big company that does it.
http://www.millergroup.ca/transportation_infrastructure/highway_maintenance.html

Back