Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power company tree service finally showed up after sitting on the work order for a full year. I now have 8 cords of this stuff laid out around my right of ways. Should keep me busy for a while. Thankfully some of it even has a solid core!
View attachment 448025 View attachment 448026
I should mention they chipped all of the brush and small limbs which alone made the wait worthwhile.

I think Chucker and I are going to do a little bird hunting and wood cutting in late October. Going to try and snag benp into coming too. You could join us.
!! yes sir !! bird seasons opens tomorrow morning and too many danged leaves on the trees to get a clear shot with the old eye ball's... oct. is the time to put the bird flushing to a new rush!!

!! yes sir !! bird seasons opens tomorrow morning and too many danged leaves on the trees to get a clear shot with the old eye ball's... oct. is the time to put the bird flushing to a new rush!!
What bird type Chucker...not familiar with you folks birds...if you can bust'em in the trees?

We do some damn good turkey hunting here in the spring time every yr...got some fine beards, spurs from many yrs of callin 'em and busting 'em. Love to have you guys from the north down here for some turkey decoy/ Tom huntin...its gets your blood boilin. Diaphragm or slate callin, we can get it done. I enjoy turkey huntin as much if not more than deer huntin...hell, deer huntin here is pick which one ya want, lol. I always bust two or three slickheads at the beginning of hunting season just to fill the freezers, then horn huntin is on...plenty of time to bust the does with muzzleloader, archery, gun season...then hunt the horns during the rut. Usually mid, 2nd week of Nov here...but the temps play a part as well. Cold spells are kinda hard to predict, but it's horn huntin on then. The second rut, the does that didn't get bred the first go 'round about 30 days after, just as good as the first pre-rut, rut.

67 out there right now , 80's tomorrow but I think it's the last of it , 70's starting Sunday :(
I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow in the "Sellin" woodpile and if the rain decides not to show up I'll go go out scouting for dead tops in the scrounging zone :)
From the look of things Jerry and I will have several years of wood from this large area of land even though it's been clearcut in areas and a forest fire whipped though another section .
Some of it might be a bit of work to get and not premium wood but it's free , I enjoy going out there to get it and I enjoy every bit of going out to get it :)
I had one of my customers ask me if I wanted a couple of spruce logs in late August , I told him yes but it would be September before I'd be ready to shoot out to his place to pick them up and thanked him , a week or so later he was at the shop for an oilchange , we were talking about the new upgrades to the house , sez he's installing a heatpump and taking out the woodstove , I asked what was he gonna do for power outage backup ?
He said "20kw genny and a month's worth of propane" then he asked if I wanted 2 cord of dry hardwood all cut and split ...... :) Oh , BTW , did I say ..... :)
I also scrounged up a 4 wheel trailer this week like Cantoo and Sawyer Rob :)
Busy week at the shop this week , bought a new to me Ben Pearson exhaust bender , it bends schedule 40 pipe like a joke :)
I saved some of the test bend stuff to make my version of one of these with the scraps I have on hand .

500_bhwload.jpg

67 out there right now , 80's tomorrow but I think it's the last of it , 70's starting Sunday :(
I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow in the "Sellin" woodpile and if the rain decides not to show up I'll go go out scouting for dead tops in the scrounging zone :)
From the look of things Jerry and I will have several years of wood from this large area of land even though it's been clearcut in areas and a forest fire whipped though another section .
Some of it might be a bit of work to get and not premium wood but it's free , I enjoy going out there to get it and I enjoy every bit of going out to get it :)
I had one of my customers ask me if I wanted a couple of spruce logs in late August , I told him yes but it would be September before I'd be ready to shoot out to his place to pick them up and thanked him , a week or so later he was at the shop for an oilchange , we were talking about the new upgrades to the house , sez he's installing a heatpump and taking out the woodstove , I asked what was he gonna do for power outage backup ?
He said "20kw genny and a month's worth of propane" then he asked if I wanted 2 cord of dry hardwood all cut and split ...... :) Oh , BTW , did I say ..... :)
I also scrounged up a 4 wheel trailer this week like Cantoo and Sawyer Rob :)
Busy week at the shop this week , bought a new to me Ben Pearson exhaust bender , it bends schedule 40 pipe like a joke :)
I saved some of the test bend stuff to make my version of one of these with the scraps I have on hand .

500_bhwload.jpg
Nice.

Finally had a week here when the temps, at least in the am, seem like fall. But I've been doing a new tile floor in the kitchen/dining room all week with my friend Harold. Been so busy, I can't even think straight. Finally finished up today, all except for the big clean up. The previous floor did not cooperate with the removal plans, so we ended up taking it down to the beams. It was a lot of work, but the wife seems to really like it, so ...

I notice a few of the Sugar Maples around here are just starting to show some color. I think the dry summer will make for an early turn of the leaves, and the garden seems to be fading early also, although is did decent this year (no time to even water it lately).

Haven't fired up a saw in a week, just cleaning up, splitting up some orphans that were lying around.
I have five dead ones that have to come down, don't care to drop them. I like them already on the ground.
Hey bull, the maita 6400 with the 16" bar is one of my fav saws, can't bog that one. Of course I always take a bigger and smaller saw, just in case I run across a big boy or pinch a bar.
Still have about 5 cord W.Pine to work on, not much hardwood for the Polar Vortex comming.
Still have some honey dos to take care of.
CUL, FREDM

P1020937.JPG
This is the 3rd truckload like this. It's pine, but all I have to do is drive about 5 miles to get it - it's all bucked and I don't have to deal with any of the branches. Even had a small bit of oak in the last load. The guy cutting has a line of about a dozen more trees to take down, each larger than the last. This one was around 20" DBH. He's glad to be rid of it and I'm happy to help a guy out like that because that's how I am. :yes:

Hey bull, the maita 6400 with the 16" bar is one of my fav saws, can't bog that one. Of course I always take a bigger and smaller saw, just in case I run across a big boy or pinch a bar.

Thats the key of course, always take your bigger saw and your smaller saw just in case. Three saws is just enough in my book!

View attachment 448210 I got back to the wood lot today for the first time in a few months. The cool morning air is good for lifting heavy rounds! I should be able to fill my trailer 3-4 times this week.

Geez, those rounds look pretty beefy! Makes my old hernia scar ache just looking at them! :muscle:

Back