Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up some more big branch wood today, trying out my new superbar! Chain is a cobjob from two different chains spliced together but it worked after I evened up some of the cutters. Bonus pic is my new fiskars! Ye aulde corona is whipped, rope finally went today, both blades dull. Looked at replacement parts costs, no way, it was sneaking up on the new fiskars so I went and got one at big orange.IMG_20151002_144506.jpg IMG_20151002_185611.jpg

It had to happen sooner or later. I lit the second match of the season, fired up the Smoke Dragon again.
Nasty weather, cold and wet, house was getting cold, more Pine up in smoke.
Good news, Billy the logger, stopped by last nite, He said make a place, gonna dump two cord of wood next thursday.
Dump is the key word here, back up the truck, raise the bed and dump, two cord on the ground, CUL, bye.
Gotta luv that guy.
Now if Zogger can call off the Polar Vortex this winter, I may have enough without ripping up the deck or chopping up the kitchen table.
I have a line on three trees that are down but will require some effort and some mileage to get. Two Maples and a Ash, Still have a lot of Pine and uglies before I get into the good wood.
Looks like the huricane is turning east and I had six saws at the ready and twenty gallons of gas to mix.
I'm having a cash flow problem, bought a 1600 watt gen. to keep the furnace blower running and a few lights and TV, and the Hot Water heater craps out, 1100 bux out of pocket. Easy come easy go, oh well, we will survive.

Dancan the mind reader.
I have before me a page that was copied of a device called Motor Snorkel. A kit you install on your engine to burn Nat gas or Propane. Checked out the website, kits run from $99 to $199 USD. You bolt it to the air intake, remove it to run gasoline.
Saw something on Utube, using a piece of tubing and using the regulator from your gas grill to squirt propane into the intake of the engine.
You could also cook wood and use the wood gas to run a genny.
Or sit there , wringing your hands waiting for the power co. to restore the electricity. I've been around too long to just sit on my hands and not do something.
BD next week, be 81 and thanks for all the well wishes, only thing I want is another BD.
I don't even want another chainsaw, got eleven runners, six fueled ,sharpened and ready to go and another dozen project saws.

Happy Early 81'st Wudpirat !!!!
80's , they say that's like the 60's of yesterday so I guess you've got a ways to go yet :cheers:

Still drizzle , cold and damp but I mowed mine and the neighbours lawn , starting the mower was a challenge LOL
Even had an audience .

IMG_20151003_162723.jpg

Wasn't scared of the mower at all .

It had to happen sooner or later. I lit the second match of the season, fired up the Smoke Dragon again.
Nasty weather, cold and wet, house was getting cold, more Pine up in smoke.
Good news, Billy the logger, stopped by last nite, He said make a place, gonna dump two cord of wood next thursday.
Dump is the key word here, back up the truck, raise the bed and dump, two cord on the ground, CUL, bye.
Gotta luv that guy.
Now if Zogger can call off the Polar Vortex this winter, I may have enough without ripping up the deck or chopping up the kitchen table.
I have a line on three trees that are down but will require some effort and some mileage to get. Two Maples and a Ash, Still have a lot of Pine and uglies before I get into the good wood.
Looks like the huricane is turning east and I had six saws at the ready and twenty gallons of gas to mix.
I'm having a cash flow problem, bought a 1600 watt gen. to keep the furnace blower running and a few lights and TV, and the Hot Water heater craps out, 1100 bux out of pocket. Easy come easy go, oh well, we will survive.
m
IMG_20151003_162733.jpg

Just a couple of more feet and ,,,,, me and the hockey stick would have called him supper LOL

The crows and swallows do that around here when I mow. Looking for bugs kicked up. The crows hop on the ground, the swallows follow me around flying right behind the mower or bushhog, pretty funny really.

This is one of the two dead Ash trees I took down today. Even though they were on a very steep grade above a house, and had to be roped & tied so they would not descend into the house, taking them down was the easy part. Getting the logs diagonally down the hill w/o loosing control was the tough part.

Could not get any heavy equipment up there, used the hand rope come along and a couple of additional ropes, wrapped around trees, to control the decent.

Very time consuming, but it worked.

Amazing what fools like me will do!

Attachments

• Wood10-3-15 001.jpg
    Wood10-3-15 001.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • Wood10-3-15 002.jpg
    Wood10-3-15 002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Wood10-3-15 003.jpg
    Wood10-3-15 003.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 55
This is one of the two dead Ash trees I took down today. Even though they were on a very steep grade above a house, and had to be roped & tied so they would not descend into the house, taking them down was the easy part. Getting the logs diagonally down the hill w/o loosing control was the tough part.

Could not get any heavy equipment up there, used the hand rope come along and a couple of additional ropes, wrapped around trees, to control the decent.

Very time consuming, but it worked.

Amazing what fools like me will do!

Lot of work! At least it was downhill!

Lot of work! At least it was downhill!

Too much downhill, and wet too boot. I went down one time with a running saw (but kept it safe) and the big problem was not letting them get away from you. It was steep enough so they would go right down sideways & through the house.

The good news, I have permission the bow hunt there! Lots of sign.

Latest posts

Back