Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here
We got our first frost at my house today so hopefully that finishes the mosquitos. Was up at the cabin yesterday and the big aspens are still green but the hardwoods are approaching 90% color and the ash have been dropping leaves for a couple weeks already.

Pending healthy kids (my friend's son has been sick the last couple of days) we are taking 2 families up to the cabin tomorrow through Monday. Leaving the girls at the cabin Sunday and the guys will head up to the hunting cabin for the second day. Do a little firewood hauling while we are scouting deer trails for a couple of additional stand sites.

We've got about 50% Fall foliage colour and most of the Ash trees have dropped their leaves.
I've had a four fires in the stove so far and it's keeping the chill out nicely.

Cut up some more big branch wood today, trying out my new superbar! Chain is a cobjob from two different chains spliced together but it worked after I evened up some of the cutters. Bonus pic is my new fiskars! Ye aulde corona is whipped, rope finally went today, both blades dull. Looked at replacement parts costs, no way, it was sneaking up on the new fiskars so I went and got one at big orange.View attachment 451262 View attachment 451263
I bought the same Fiskars pole saw you have when I moved in here ten years back and it's been one of my handiest tree trimming tools and worth the cost.

Lol!!!

I thought the having a hockey stick within reach at all times was just a stereotype!

Geez , didn't you see in the pic that the chute for the rear bagger was open , I needed it to unclog the long wet grass ,,,, Honest LOL
I used my Fiskars pole saw to take down a birch tree on a customers front lawn , took off all the branches then used it at full extension and a step ladder to cut the top that I could reach which made short enough to drop in a very tight zone .
I did cut up some slabwood today from some scrounged spruce that I milled up this summer , it burns fine :)

Piled the 7 loads, not a real good pic but it is 12 feet across.

018.jpg

this is the next scrounge pile, gonna guess it will be about 10 - 12 pickup loads, cant see real good cause of the weeds, This pile is 6 feet tall 12 feet wide and around 20 feet long. Culls are mixed with hard maple, red oak, ash, cherry005.jpg and mostly poplar

I didn't get much done this weekend. Rainy and had a wedding last night. Today I had to help my wife recover from too many rum and rum drinks. Did pull the garden. I have a 5 gallon bucket of various hot, banana, and bell peppers. Anyone have a good ideas for making the peppers last a long time?

Weather permitting I am cleaning the chimney and splitting some wood this weekend.

Got peppers?
4ddd9a066d31bffb9a944ca18ac04a66.jpg

I didn't get much done this weekend. Rainy and had a wedding last night. Today I had to help my wife recover from too many rum and rum drinks. Did pull the garden. I have a 5 gallon bucket of various hot, banana, and bell peppers. Anyone have a good ideas for making the peppers last a long time?

Weather permitting I am cleaning the chimney and splitting some wood this weekend.

Got peppers?
4ddd9a066d31bffb9a944ca18ac04a66.jpg

Nice haul, we've been eating peppers for months now, any possible variation that exists, and I ain't sick of them yet. Except for real hot ones that I just can't eat, but moderate to sweet, I love 'em! A lot of them got cleaned, de-seeded, chopped up and frozen. Still getting materz but they slowed down a lot. Put in some cruciferous stuff, and four more flats to plant, a lot of that will go to the cluckeraptors.

I think I need to freeze some. I have been eating peppers for months as well. Zog how do you freeze them? Just freezer bag and into the freezer?
Yep. GF does it, cuts em open, takes out the excess seeds (save for the chickens), cuts em up, into freezer bags. Similar with extra squash.

I think I need to freeze some. I have been eating peppers for months as well. Zog how do you freeze them? Just freezer bag and into the freezer?
NA i just clean them and dice onto a cookie sheet and freeze. then i put them in zip-lock freezer bags. keeps them loose so you can take out what you need this winter.
from the food scroungers channel.:laughing:
headin down to the treestand in a bit to watch dawn arrive.

Bought myself a moisture meter to test some wood. I know everyone says to let oak season for a year or more, my father has always said three months is plenty. Well I tested some white and red oak that was alive and thriving when I cut it down this past April. I bucked it into rounds and stacked it along my driveway at that time, just split the rounds and stacked it two weeks ago. Test an average of 15% on the meter (a few 12s, and handful of 17s)- I think that's pretty good. Now it has been a very dry summer, but the wood wasn't in a wide open area or even fully exposed to sun. I burned some this past week and it was just fine, Thoughts?

Bought myself a moisture meter to test some wood. I know everyone says to let oak season for a year or more, my father has always said three months is plenty. Well I tested some white and red oak that was alive and thriving when I cut it down this past April. I bucked it into rounds and stacked it along my driveway at that time, just split the rounds and stacked it two weeks ago. Test an average of 15% on the meter (a few 12s, and handful of 17s)- I think that's pretty good. Now it has been a very dry summer, but the wood wasn't in a wide open area or even fully exposed to sun. I burned some this past week and it was just fine, Thoughts?
Did you take it on the ends or did you split them open? If you took them on the ends it won't be a correct reading.

I used to keep my 021, but I traded that off as part of my 372xp deal. I will most likely keep my 555 back there.

I am a Poulan man, and I keep a Craftsman 2.2 top handle (Poulan Micro series) with a 14" bar on it. Lightweight and very capable saw, runs like a top and takes up next to no space in the truck.

Latest posts

Back