Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get much done this weekend. Rainy and had a wedding last night. Today I had to help my wife recover from too many rum and rum drinks. Did pull the garden. I have a 5 gallon bucket of various hot, banana, and bell peppers. Anyone have a good ideas for making the peppers last a long time?

Weather permitting I am cleaning the chimney and splitting some wood this weekend.
Have any tomatoes? Can some salsa. You could also pickle the peppers.

Dancan: Can't do the penny trick. blower keeps the firebox cool, also suplies air to wash window and combustion.
Manual says not to burn without blower. I have using a fan stuck into the blower intake, waiting for replacement blower.

As for a MM reading, I say below 20% will burn, lower is better. I'm burning Pine @ around 12% and a year old.
Oak over 20% is still too wet, not enough heat from the wood being burnt. waste of good wood.
Hopefully, Billy will deliver the two cord promised today, Spun a bearing on the prossesor and couldn't deliver yesterday.

Mike: Your rigging of that tree really got my interest. Suprising what you can do with a couple bull ropes , snatchblock, ropepuller and an ATV/truck. Can't remember how many trees I've looked at and in my mind, dropped it. A rope here, a redirect there and a notch here and angle on the back cut.
In real life that never happens. the last dead Oak set back before I could get a wedge into the back cut, a gust of wind did me in. It got hung and had to fence post it. Always lots of fun.
I don't climb, so all my work is at ground level. Wood is heavy, be careful, dead trees are the worst. The tops will break off and get you.
Work safe and wear your PPE. Cheap insurance.

Bought myself a moisture meter to test some wood. I know everyone says to let oak season for a year or more, my father has always said three months is plenty. Well I tested some white and red oak that was alive and thriving when I cut it down this past April. I bucked it into rounds and stacked it along my driveway at that time, just split the rounds and stacked it two weeks ago. Test an average of 15% on the meter (a few 12s, and handful of 17s)- I think that's pretty good. Now it has been a very dry summer, but the wood wasn't in a wide open area or even fully exposed to sun. I burned some this past week and it was just fine, Thoughts?
You are good to burn them.

Only got one load home this weekend. Little brother got 3. It's been awhile since I cut down any real trees, and the stumps prove it. Don't be to harsh on me now.

Attachments

• 20151003_142202.jpg
    20151003_142202.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 20151003_142654.jpg
    20151003_142654.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20151003_142626.jpg
    20151003_142626.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 20151003_142612.jpg
    20151003_142612.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
Well , it just looks like to me that you'd better find another bunch of trees to practice on and you know they say , "Practice , practice , practice" , after you get a few more cords home , you'll get your saw legs back , if not , go practice some more till you run out of storage room LOL

With stumps, every situation requires something different. If you are selling logs, you follow through more, but if there are houses, power lines, etc, it is sometimes better to leave a thicker hinges , ditto with rotted wood (looks like one of your hinges was not solid either).

IMO, not fair to call it if you were not there, and if everything goes down as planned, that is what matters.

Long day today. Drove up to the cabin (alone, no one available) to bring some of the roofing shingles up. My friend Harold and I were scheduled to go up on Wed/Thurs, so I wanted to get stuff up there w/o over loading, but I get home and the message says he will be going up tomorrow! Oh well, fast turn around, I still got lots more stuff I have to bring up. One trip would just over load my setup, and you don't want try to climb the 2 mi mtn right of way over loaded.

Unloaded the shingles and saw the porkys were chewing on the plywood next to the door frame, so I stained a layer around the cabin to discourage them.

Took my shotgun and went for a walk trying to flush some grouse, but no luck, but fixed my tree stand (the wind had moved it) and climbed my lifeguard tower to take in the view (it is on top of a big rock).

Then I broke out 044#1 and cut up a dead Ash tree that was not too far from my driveway. The cutting seemed like it took only 30 seconds, but getting the rounds out of the woods took longer. So I decide to pick it up with the trailer and the Escape, but when I try to turn around at the end of the driveway, there is not enough room. I disconnect the trailer, turn the Escape around, then had to pull the trailer up hill. Several times it would just not move, and I just said to myself it has to move, and some how it did (thankfully). Then of course, I was in a hurry to back it up and unload the wood, and I broke a tail light!

All and all the day went well and I can't complain, and the next time I post (Thurs/Fri) we should have a roof on the cabin!

Enjoy the pics. (That is Rte 10 bridge and Cannonsville Reservoir, that last in the NYC system, the end of the Catskill Aqueduct).

Attachments

• Cabin10-5-15 003.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 003.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Cabin10-5-15 002.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 002.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 66
  • Cabin10-5-15 007.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 007.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 70
  • Cabin10-5-15 008.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 008.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Cabin10-5-15 012.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 012.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
  • Cabin10-5-15 013.jpg
    Cabin10-5-15 013.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 57
Long day today. Drove up to the cabin (alone, no one available) to bring some of the roofing shingles up. My friend Harold and I were scheduled to go up on Wed/Thurs, so I wanted to get stuff up there w/o over loading, but I get home and the message says he will be going up tomorrow! Oh well, fast turn around, I still got lots more stuff I have to bring up. One trip would just over load my setup, and you don't want try to climb the 2 mi mtn right of way over loaded.

Unloaded the shingles and saw the porkys were chewing on the plywood next to the door frame, so I stained a layer around the cabin to discourage them.

Took my shotgun and went for a walk trying to flush some grouse, but no luck, but fixed my tree stand (the wind had moved it) and climbed my lifeguard tower to take in the view (it is on top of a big rock).

Then I broke out 044#1 and cut up a dead Ash tree that was not too far from my driveway. The cutting seemed like it took only 30 seconds, but getting the rounds out of the woods took longer. So I decide to pick it up with the trailer and the Escape, but when I try to turn around at the end of the driveway, there is not enough room. I disconnect the trailer, turn the Escape around, then had to pull the trailer up hill. Several times it would just not move, and I just said to myself it has to move, and some how it did (thankfully). Then of course, I was in a hurry to back it up and unload the wood, and I broke a tail light!

All and all the day went well and I can't complain, and the next time I post (Thurs/Fri) we should have a roof on the cabin!

Enjoy the pics. (That is Rte 10 bridge and Cannonsville Reservoir, that last in the NYC system, the end of the Catskill Aqueduct).
Sounds like a fun day. The cabin is really starting to come together.

Long story but my day off today ended up being somewhat of a CF. We did get to walk some of our good deer hunting trails this morning (which need clearing work btw).

Ash are already leafless and maples are losing leaves quickly. Even in the last two days the aspen have yellowed dramatically.

image.jpg image.jpg

Swans
image.jpg

Giving the dog a workout with a tennis ball.
image.jpg

Love the deep Crimson of the red oaks.
image.jpg image.jpg

Mike , I live 15 mins from here , and my hunting/fishing camp (400 acres ) is probably only about 7? miles from your place . Give me a hollar sometime .

Long story but my day off today ended up being somewhat of a CF. We did get to walk some of our good deer hunting trails this morning (which need clearing work btw).

Ash are already leafless and maples are losing leaves quickly. Even in the last two days the aspen have yellowed dramatically.

View attachment 451901 View attachment 451902

Swans
View attachment 451903

View attachment 451904

View attachment 451905 View attachment 451906

That there is just beautiful.

View attachment 451901 View attachment 451902

Swans
View attachment 451903

View attachment 451904

View attachment 451905 View attachment 451906
nice pics svk. can we move there? :rolleyes: :laughing:

Latest posts

Back