Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahaha! at least you got my fav ridin pony mowers pegged! hehehehe I don't look much like mr. ultra straight though..I look ,more..like this....jiss a lil scruffy.. getting ready with my cobjob installed ratsun wood rack to go scrounge up some sixteen footers...
Nice. Love the assistant.

I take the hedge clippers to it once a year in the spring and go around and spread it on the bushes and stuff. The birds grab it and go fly away and build their nests with it. Funny as heck! Been doing that for decades now. Before I started doing that it was multiple year's long, a full chest warmer.

Two Christmas seasons ago I was in wallyworld during the big duck dynasty schwag push. I was standing in front of a big cardboard display, some moms and kids hanging around, a wallyworld "associate" walks by, I go "Miss, oh miss! I am here for the autograph signing, where do I set up"? Stares..jaws dropping...bwahahahaha, for 30 seconds there had them folks going good, then I started laughing. Hoot and a half!
Funny stuff! I bet the birds love that.

My Uncle used to have a big white beard, and was a bit over weight. So one time in the supermarket, this kid is giving his mother a hard time, and he looks over at the Mom and says "Is he being naughty or nice". The kid snapped to attention and behaved! My Uncle later cracked up about it.

I miss Uncle Hank, my old hunting partner.

Interesting, you got a wider mower but now need to walk behind it. Getting a little soggy in "old" age like me LOL?
Your not talking about me being soggy? I'm in shape, and round is a shape:surprised3:
You've got to be kidding about the mower, it has a sulky/jungle wheels(a watchamajiggy you ride on) behind it.
Of course I didn't get something less fun, unless it made me more money.
I said "I sold the Hondas and the Exmark".
I sold the Exmark because I bought a little bigger and newer one, I thought about using it, but since my 52" sold so fast, why not list the 60" too, well it sold(had it a week darn:envy:). It looks similar to the 52, but they are very different machines, this model is at least 2k more.20150313_163023.jpg
Then I had to use the Honda which worked well, because I did a bunch of work on the grading at my house this spring, since the zero turns are not gentle on new grass.
Then I scored this(below), guess what happened to the honda:envy:. In all the crap of doing all that, I came out with a newer rider with the same cut width(wish it was a 60", I'm not complaining though:)), but only 430hrs, and $750 cash after all expenses.

Lots of great upgrades this last yr, hope this year is as good. Praise God:bowdown: as somebody is looking out for me:).20150620_204550.jpg

about 12 cubic feet firewood - nearly 1/10th of a cord...

worked up some of that free, scrounged oak - wannaB- firewwod I 'tow tugged' in the other day. was a perfect day for some firewood making... sunny, crisp n cool! this and 25 or so chunks I left out in the need to split pile... some of the neighbors must surely think I am a bit nuts... :rolleyes: well, some think someone is bbqing all the time... :laughing: lol :yes:! but I don't cut out front and just leave a mess...

before:

P1010005.JPG

from doing:

P2040007.JPG

after:

P2040005.JPG

Your not talking about me being soggy? I'm in shape, and round is a shape:surprised3:
You've got to be kidding about the mower, it has a sulky/jungle wheels(a watchamajiggy you ride on) behind it.
Of course I didn't get something less fun, unless it made me more money.
I said "I sold the Hondas and the Exmark".
I sold the Exmark because I bought a little bigger and newer one, I thought about using it, but since my 52" sold so fast, why not list the 60" too, well it sold(had it a week darn:envy:). It looks similar to the 52, but they are very different machines, this model is at least 2k more.View attachment 483755
Then I had to use the Honda which worked well, because I did a bunch of work on the grading at my house this spring, since the zero turns are not gentle on new grass.
Then I scored this(below), guess what happened to the honda:envy:. In all the crap of doing all that, I came out with a newer rider with the same cut width(wish it was a 60", I'm not complaining though:)), but only 430hrs, and $750 cash after all expenses.

Lots of great upgrades this last yr, hope this year is as good. Praise God:bowdown: as somebody is looking out for me:).View attachment 483754

what year is that X Mark? looks like late 90's... 60" 25 hp Kohler?... looks to be in great shape. I know all about this machine... no need to ask me why! lol ;).... tell us about it, etc...

This has to be one of the better threads here on AS, IMO. I don't visit very often, but I'm impressed each time I do so. Hopefully in the future, I'll contribute some pictures of some of my scrounges.

KUDOS to the regular contributors to this thread.
looking at your user image makes me wonder when is the launch date and how many agronauts does it carry.

looking at your user image makes me wonder when is the launch date and how many agronauts does it carry.

That's a 4020 John Deere, pretty decent size tractor. Dad was pulling a 20 ft bush hog a few years back, rolled over a big log, the log squirted out from under the rear tires, rear tires grabbed, front reared up and it came to rest like you see in the pic.

He was very fortunate to not get hurt.

what year is that X Mark? looks like late 90's... 60" 25 hp Kohler?... looks to be in great shape. I know all about this machine... no need to ask me why! lol ;).... tell us about it, etc...
Like it says in my signature, "I may be slow, but I'm not stupid" I won't ask why, I can read;)

The x-series is a 2012 with about 1141hrs and a 60" deck.
The Lazer Z (rider) is a late 90's with a 52" deck and 426hrs it will be for sale this spring more than likely. I wish it was the 60 because the deck does not overhang enough to trim super close, with the walk behind style a 52" deck will overhang the tires by a lot, not so much on the 52".
Not sure the engine size of either, but I don't think they are 25hp, could be wrong though as I haven't been yet this week, oh woops forgot I was once lol.

don't forget the nice Zogger wood in the brush piles.looks like some nice size limb wood in there.
Got some, still lots left, I want to focus on the big stuff first:D

That looks like that tree will need 2-3 cups of coffee to properly assess what to do. You dont want any of the rounds to roll over that hill. It looks like a steep bugger. Is there a road running behind and down the hill from where you will be cutting?
Managed on 1 cup as I ran out of my hazelnut creamer:(

How do you drive by a nice previously dead standing 32-36" ash stem laying beside a driveway, you don't :sweet:

Ok guys this was a nice find, now to execute the bucking, splitting, loading, unloading, and taking pictures of it for you all:chainsaw::chop::cry:(thats me sweating because I'm haveing to do something "like work":laugh:.
It's right on the top of a pretty steep little hill. I was thinking of making most ove my top bucking cuts just as it is and the rope over the top to my truck and roll it onto the other side to finish my cuts. I will probably need to get the big branch and maybe even the big crotch where it connects to the stem on the left side before I can roll it though. I am going to try to get there tomorrow to asses the site better, and for the first load. View attachment 483546

Ok guys I got to scrounging on the big ash, I was only able to spend a total of a couple hrs there last night.
I was able to get all the small stuff(12-20) and a little of the "zogger" wood. Most of the other easy pickings had been taken by others.
It still looks like a total of two+ cords there no problem although this load was a little under a cord. I also found a couple bonus logs just over the hill behind the garage, a couple pieces under the tree down the hill, and I will cut at least one more full cut off the stump which will put it between 2.5-3 cords total:clap:

I did as I had previously thought I would and made all my bucking cuts on the main stem and just left it where it was at. I tried to leave enough holding wood to roll the stem without it breaking. Pictures of that will have to wait til tonight or tomorrow as I was running late for a birthday party, I can say the 25" bar on the 441 with small dogs didn't come anywhere near going through it:).
There was a bunch of metal at the first branch, luckily I saw it and made all my bucking cuts with the exception of the one closest to the metal, I will do that one after I noodle all the other pieces to save the chain just in case as it's one of those free ones that was brand new:). After writing that I think I will just put a different chain on so as not to waste a new on on wire:crazy:, I have a bar that will make it easier to do the plunge cuts as well so I will just change it all out, thanks for the help guys LOL.

I needed one more large piece to fill the back of the trailer and help balance the load on the trailer(just a little half ton Suburban) so against my better judgement I cut the piece off at the second branch from the bottom side just left of the one with the wire. Just as I had suspected the whole stem moved a 1/2" twords me :crazy2:
Once I moved it up the hill a bit I noodled it in half sort of, and loaded it up:), the wood looked beautiful, I could see an end table or 5 LOL.

Now to the real sketchy part, the only thing holding the tree from rolling down the hill is the part of his hinge wood that pulled out of the hinge when it was felled:surprised3: I'm thinking about doing some plunge cuts on the ends for a 4x4 to fit into, then hooking a tow strap to both ends, and hooking the middle of the strap to the front of my truck. It will be like a big rolling pin and I should be able to control the shifting of both ends/steer it with my Suburban.
The only down side to this is the down side of the hill. I don't think it would drag me down it, but boy that would be a ride. I don't have enough room to set up a longer rope to pull it with because he doesn't want me on his yard, I would also loose the ability to steer the log if needed.

Any thoughts let me have them, as I won't be heading that way for a while.
Thanks
20160205_084554.jpg 20160204_163610.jpg 20160204_163857.jpg 20160204_175711.jpg 20160204_171334.jpg

Got some, still lots left, I want to focus on the big stuff first:D

Managed on 1 cup as I ran out of my hazelnut creamer:(

Ok guys I got to scrounging on the big ash, I was only able to spend a total of a couple hrs there last night.
I was able to get all the small stuff(12-20) and a little of the "zogger" wood. Most of the other easy pickings had been taken by others.
It still looks like a total of two+ cords there no problem although this load was a little under a cord. I also found a couple bonus logs just over the hill behind the garage, a couple pieces under the tree down the hill, and I will cut at least one more full cut off the stump which will put it between 2.5-3 cords total:clap:

I did as I had previously thought I would and made all my bucking cuts on the main stem and just left it where it was at. I tried to leave enough holding wood to roll the stem without it breaking. Pictures of that will have to wait til tonight or tomorrow as I was running late for a birthday party, I can say the 25" bar on the 441 with small dogs didn't come anywhere near going through it:).
There was a bunch of metal at the first branch, luckily I saw it and made all my bucking cuts with the exception of the one closest to the metal, I will do that one after I noodle all the other pieces to save the chain just in case as it's one of those free ones that was brand new:). After writing that I think I will just put a different chain on so as not to waste a new on on wire:crazy:, I have a bar that will make it easier to do the plunge cuts as well so I will just change it all out, thanks for the help guys LOL.

I needed one more large piece to fill the back of the trailer and help balance the load on the trailer(just a little half ton Suburban) so against my better judgement I cut the piece off at the second branch from the bottom side just left of the one with the wire. Just as I had suspected the whole stem moved a 1/2" twords me :crazy2:
Once I moved it up the hill a bit I noodled it in half sort of, and loaded it up:), the wood looked beautiful, I could see an end table or 5 LOL.

Now to the real sketchy part, the only thing holding the tree from rolling down the hill is the part of his hinge wood that pulled out of the hinge when it was felled:surprised3: I'm thinking about doing some plunge cuts on the ends for a 4x4 to fit into, then hooking a tow strap to both ends, and hooking the middle of the strap to the front of my truck. It will be like a big rolling pin and I should be able to control the shifting of both ends/steer it with my Suburban.
The only down side to this is the down side of the hill. I don't think it would drag me down it, but boy that would be a ride. I don't have enough room to set up a longer rope to pull it with because he doesn't want me on his yard, I would also loose the ability to steer the log if needed.

Any thoughts let me have them, as I won't be heading that way for a while.
Thanks

I wouldn't mess with all that weight at once on that hill. I'd sledge in some blocks from the downhill side to help stabilize, then just use a sacrificial chain and finish you bucking cuts one at a time, working back to the hinge holding fibers. Try one, maybe it will flop then you can just pull it to the street. Or heck, if it bucks, flop it over right there and hand split into quarters, whatever size is comfortable, then a kids sled down hill, something like that.

The x-series is a 2012 with about 1141hrs and a 60" deck.
The Lazer Z (rider) is a late 90's with a 52" deck and 426hrs it will be for sale this spring more than likely. I wish it was the 60 because the deck does not overhang enough to trim super close, with the walk behind style a 52" deck will overhang the tires by a lot, not so much on the 52".
Not sure the engine size of either, but I don't think they are 25hp, could be wrong though as I haven't been yet this week, oh woops forgot I was once lol.

well, I do like it. yours does look to be in great condtion. especially for almost 500 hrs. I have just a bit more time on my clock. I have had mine since 1997 - still running strong. I think they did have a 20 hp Kohler engine option, too. real nice machines. I use mine to country-club mow the compound areas up at the farm. the blade clutch runs hot and if mowing on hot summer's day... turn it off and then try to restart and engage clutch its prone to slip... then wears. and a R & R is pricey! :eek: i rigged mine up so i don't have to shut it down if i need to get off the machine to open a gate or something... mine has not been back to shop since i bot it new, done all maint. in-house. ;) in case you do not have the owner's manual... here is a pointer or two:

- to shut it down, put it inside or in shade, let it idle for a few mins, then turn fuel to OFF. this prevents 'knock'. and if shut off hot, it will knock! hard!!

- depending upon use, i keep battery minder on mine.

- if exiting my machine, i generally will park it in the shade...mostly for clutch to cool.

- be sure to block rear wheels well if u raise it up like on ramps to clean underneath or change blades... even if parking brake applied!

- mulching deck will load up in wetter spring grasses, well, out in country... so i often stop and clean it out from under deck... if u hear singing blade tips sloshing thru the 'salad' ;)

great machines... well designed and built... especially the older units. as to decks etc. the new ones all decked out, run in $15K range.... i think they got 72" now, 35-40 hp and fuel injected, too...

trailer up ur tractor, get to site, cable it up... and have a go at it, if that is convenient for you... in dealing with heavy chunks i screw in lag bolts and chain it and tow tug it in. mite be an idea, albiet scale of ops different. 1/2" or 5/8ths 6" lag... chained on end in any event... truck or tractor and you could vector it back onto more solid ground... maybe use 2 vehicles, 2 drivers... 2 chains. in any event, be careful! looks like a logging accident waiting to happen, your job is to defy the odds!! ;) the suspense is killing us, well... me at least... so plse be sure to tell us how and some 'film at 11!'.... too. good pix, i almost feel as if i am standing there. :)

ps: we know you can do it!

That's a 4020 John Deere, pretty decent size tractor. Dad was pulling a 20 ft bush hog a few years back, rolled over a big log, the log squirted out from under the rear tires, rear tires grabbed, front reared up and it came to rest like you see in the pic.

He was very fortunate to not get hurt.

very fortunate! glad to hear it was a walk-away... so how did you all get it back down on the ground? any probs with fluids like the diesel and eng oil?...

I wouldn't mess with all that weight at once on that hill. I'd sledge in some blocks from the downhill side to help stabilize, then just use a sacrificial chain and finish you bucking cuts one at a time, working back to the hinge holding fibers. Try one, maybe it will flop then you can just pull it to the street. Or heck, if it bucks, flop it over right there and hand split into quarters, whatever size is comfortable, then a kids sled down hill, something like that.
Thanks for the reply zogger.
Even though a picture is worth a thousand words, even 4ooo of those "word's" doesn't make up for being there.
I feel that it's an all or nothing situation, I take it all on top of the hill or nothing because as soon as I make another cut it will be going down the hill.
As I was looking over my pictures I see there is a tree in his yard I could anchor the log to with a bull rope so as to prevent it from rolling down the hill any farther. It would be a great safety net to have and would also make me feel more comfortable pulling it onto the top side of the hill(or trying). I still like the idea of one pull and finish the bucking on top then noodle it all up and onto the trailer.
If I try to sledge in some blocks(if I'm following you) they would need to be about 3' tall, except the end that is already on the ground which I already did wedge. That end can not roll because of the wood caught on the stump, but if I take another piece of that end it could shift down the hill or allow the wood holding to come off the stump which would be bad, but cool to watch if I didn't have to clean up the pieces:picture:
I have thought about shoring it up under it a little and skidding it sideways an a couple 4x4's.
Not super concerned as it will get done and I will do the best to stay safe and out of the way of it regardless.
Where's @cantoo with a big ole crane, guess it wouldn't be much of a scrounge at that point.

As far as the chain, it's only needed on that one bucking cut all the others are already cut and the wire is either cut or not where I already cut:chainsaw:
I tried to set the pieces up so that even that cut would avoid it by a few inches, then I can split that one by hand, do you thing the Fiskars would do it @svk.

Back