Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a looksee after the whopper storm last night and this morning early, but no big trees down. Almost flooded the fields though. At around six we had a windgust that I was thinking when it started, oh crap not another tornado..the cabin shook, but then it died down to just big wind and rain. Still spooky though, I have ptsd, post tornado stress disorder after getting hit twice here already... be that as it may, a few flood pics, and a good link for news/pics of storms across the south, still headed towards the carolinas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3461180/Deep-South-lashed-severe-storms-high-winds.html

Attachments

• IMG_20160224_101122.jpg
    IMG_20160224_101122.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20160224_101336.jpg
    IMG_20160224_101336.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20160224_101529.jpg
    IMG_20160224_101529.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 46
Went for a looksee after the whopper storm last night and this morning early, but no big trees down. Almost flooded the fields though. At around six we had a windgust that I was thinking when it started, oh crap not another tornado..the cabin shook, but then it died down to just big wind and rain. Still spooky though, I have ptsd, post tornado stress disorder after getting hit twice here already... be that as it may, a few flood pics, and a good link for news/pics of storms across the south, still headed towards the carolinas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3461180/Deep-South-lashed-severe-storms-high-winds.html
More importantly, did all of the "cluckeraptors" weather the storm safely?

I heard from a friend in Natchez that it was pretty bad there too.

More importantly, did all of the "cluckeraptors" weather the storm safely?

I heard from a friend in Natchez that it was pretty bad there too.

Ya, they are ok. Their coop/WS loft apartment is built like the cabin, old heartpine (was the original barn, I am guessing built around the same time frame). Dang great wood! You got to hit a nail real dang square to get it in without bending.

The assault quackers are digging it, their ditch floods out great and they go floating/swimming around in it.

Not scrounging anytime soon....we are about 4 foot high and flowing.

b479c36f0ebc8a3e37f12bb755d2e916.jpg

3b5fcfc4da2944679948ba7cb8e5397b.jpg

Sadly I drive past mile after mile of forest around here that is in desperate need of some work but no one want u on their land even if u r were a Forester and it was all volunteer work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We have ash trees laying everywhere around here. It's sad, and they will be worthless if nothing is done right away, and many are already punky.
Within the next 5 yrs we will have very few ash trees left and most will be on the ground rotting:(.
People know they are dying and won't let you on their property here either:sucks:

EAB is 100 miles south of my cabin now. I'm assuming it will be there soon as we do not get sustained -40 temps (the temp which eab larva dies) enough to prevent the spread.

We only have black ash as a native species but there are also other species in towns. I'm curious what is going to grow in swampland once the ash die.

I have my eyes on a few ash burls that will be coming home once the trees die.

Did someone say ALL OAK!!! OK, so these were all previously posted, but I can't cut now, too busy!

This is all drying for next year! (at 2 locations)

Attachments

• 40inOak12-26-15 015.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 015.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Wood12-5-15 002.jpg
    Wood12-5-15 002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 006.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 006.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 54
  • CherryTree1-30-16 004.jpg
    CherryTree1-30-16 004.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
Everybody wants all oak but i sell a mix of oak ash maple hard and silver hickory hackberry elm black locust and occasionally walnut because no one will pay the price for pure oak loads unless it is to the guy wiht the s10 who is delivering a seasoned with the leaves on cord cut split and delivered on demand did i mention it is a seasoned cord :dumb:
i see people selling all oak and/or people requesting all oak. i try and mix some ash and or maple in with the oak to stretch it.
EDIT: i don't sell the hickory or black locust for obvious reasons.:rolleyes:

We have ash trees laying everywhere around here. It's sad, and they will be worthless if nothing is done right away, and many are already punky.
Within the next 5 yrs we will have very few ash trees left and most will be on the ground rotting:(.
People know they are dying and won't let you on their property here either:sucks:
I was looking for a new spot in my woods for a tree stand. Found the spot, started looking around, Ash Ash, Ash. Going to be a depressing place to hunt in the next few years.

Some of the last loads I sold last year were all White Oak, that is also hard to beat!
that's about all i have been cutting on my latest across the street scrounge. like i posted earlier the loggers took all the big stuff. love that white oak.

Thanks for all of the suggestions for trees. I have quite a few good ideas of what I am going to do.

For those of you that run grapples, what are things that you like and do not like. I am working on a design and will potentially be building it. I haven't quite figured out how much id use it.

Here is a picture of my base

Attachments

• Bottom Of Grapple.JPG
    Bottom Of Grapple.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 20
Back