Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the suggestions for trees. I have quite a few good ideas of what I am going to do.

For those of you that run grapples, what are things that you like and do not like. I am working on a design and will potentially be building it. I haven't quite figured out how much id use it.

Here is a picture of my base
Cool. If you have auxiliary hydraulics, put a top clamp on it.

Do you have silver maples growing in the wild? I have only encountered them as yard trees.

I had to read this twice. Sorry, I instantly thought how can you have 1 and not have 1000 of its offspring. The nickname swamp maple is well earned. Our soggy river bottoms are frequently covered with them, and big ones. It is easy to be an oak snob here and completely ignore silver maple. My brother cut down part of a triple stem last week and bucked it. He said come and get it. I had to think twice before I even accepted free wood and much of the bucked pieces are way to big for a person to lift, will use his tractor to lift them. I am still concerned if I should mix it in different locations in my shed to facilitate blending with my white oak. I have never had a cord of it at one time before. Frankly, I often muse and admire you guys who heat in a colder climate with wood of much lower heat value. Of course if you split with a fish you can generate your own heat. LOL

I had to read this twice. Sorry, I instantly thought how can you have 1 and not have 1000 of its offspring. The nickname swamp maple is well earned. Our soggy river bottoms are frequently covered with them, and big ones. It is easy to be an oak snob here and completely ignore silver maple. My brother cut down part of a triple stem last week and bucked it. He said come and get it. I had to think twice before I even accepted free wood and much of the bucked pieces are way to big for a person to lift, will use his tractor to lift them. I am still concerned if I should mix it in different locations in my shed to facilitate blending with my white oak. I have never had a cord of it at one time before. Frankly, I often muse and admire you guys who heat in a colder climate with wood of much lower heat value. Of course if you split with a fish you can generate your own heat. LOL
Lol fish axe. I remember that.

I like silver maple because is seasons overnight and throws off a nice flame. Great for fire pit wood too.

And dead ash trunks is always where I find the most morels along with around cottonwoods

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
When I had my property on the river people would just stop their cars and start walking onto my property, then they would turn tail and get right back in their cars after a couple shot's :crazy2:. I was only shooting the river bank, but it was in their general direction. Yes, ash trees will cue you into where the morals are. The more the better the chances. Also seem to find more where the stands are dying of natural causes early.

I was looking for a new spot in my woods for a tree stand. Found the spot, started looking around, Ash Ash, Ash. Going to be a depressing place to hunt in the next few years.
It's to bad more people won't let folks cut on their property, but I get it with all the liability and all.
I just lost one of my spots at the school, they don't want anyone getting hurt, code for we don't want to get sued.
Did you get the garage job all taken care of, the branch only or the whole tree.
You should load up the saws and head out my way tomorrow. I had limbs falling in my yard today. I can't imagine what others have down out here.
I was outside talking to the neighbor and heard a large(I'd guess 12"+) limb break off a good ways from us across the rd.
We got at least 8" of heavy wet snow and it is still snowing.
They cancelled school already were my wife teaches.

i see people selling all oak and/or people requesting all oak. i try and mix some ash and or maple in with the oak to stretch it.
EDIT: i don't sell the hickory or black locust for obvious reasons.:rolleyes:
Which do you prefer the BL or hickory.
I like the black locust as what I typically get is tall poles with very few branches and dead standing. It's the easiest to work with and I can throw it in the wood stove when I get home. I could have got plenty of hickory 2 summers ago, but it was farther than I could drive for it at the time.

Are we confusing Silver Maple with Red Maple (Swamp Maple) ??? They are both on the softer side of the Maple family, especially compared to Norway Maple or Sugar Maple. I think Silver is a little softer and grows faster/larger, and often has multiple trunks (if you will).

Silver Maple leaves have very distinctive deep teeth, Red Maple has relatively shallow teeth, and generally just turns Red in the fall. I have heated a lot with Red Maple, is is very abundant around here. Does not last as long as the harder Maples, but it will put out good heat, and has less drying time.

When I had my property on the river people would just stop their cars and start walking onto my property, then they would turn tail and get right back in their cars after a couple shot's :crazy2:. I was only shooting the river bank, but it was in their general direction. Yes, ash trees will cue you into where the morals are. The more the better the chances. Also seem to find more where the stands are dying of natural causes early.
down here in missouri we just go out on the river and almost all of the islands are some sort of public hunting area :dancing:

Are we confusing Silver Maple with Red Maple (Swamp Maple) ??? They are both on the softer side of the Maple family, especially compared to Norway Maple or Sugar Maple. I think Silver is a little softer and grows faster/larger, and often has multiple trunks (if you will).

Silver Maple leaves have very distinctive deep teeth, Red Maple has relatively shallow teeth, and generally just turns Red in the fall. I have heated a lot with Red Maple, is is very abundant around here. Does not last as long as the harder Maples, but it will put out good heat, and has less drying time.

Round here we definatly have silver maple and cant sat that i have ever really seen red/swamp maple but then agin i get a lot of yard trees not river bottom trees

Silver maples.... I can't wait to get this one down.

4227f4c0b08afdaffda821f1d39d6ef5.jpg

Back