Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear Brett has a genie and a lamp, so be ready for the loader just in case he rubs that thing and says abracadabra.
well that didn't come out quite right :lol:, but you know what I mean.
Does your wife know you left the good morning thread Phil:lol:.

Terry told me in a phone conversation(this month) do not run stihl ultra at anything richer than 40:1. He said the saws will have a lot of build up if you do. Even though that is what he recommends 40:1 for most saws, he said this is probably overkill, but it works for him.
Which Terry are you referring to?

I just bought two pints of Stihl ultra because I could't find the good Husky oil anywhere.

Great tips guys.
I just buy the 2.5 gal bottles(when I buy them) and use most of it in a 2 gallon can, no perfection here. I've never had a problem with a saw unless I ran it at 40:none LOL, I did that to my old 346ne:(.

Terry told me in a phone conversation(this month) do not run stihl ultra at anything richer than 40:1. He said the saws will have a lot of build up if you do. Even though that is what he recommends 40:1 for most saws, he said this is probably overkill, but it works for him.

I have a feeling I will be switch from stihl ultra to amsoil. More protection and more oil for the $.

@Wood Nazi You snob!

I'd never turn down free wood unless it was punky or one of those stinky species.

>or one of those stinky species

:omg:

I know just what you mean, svk! I got some of those kind living down the street from me in the tan house... lol ;)

I have a feeling I will be switch from stihl ultra to amsoil. More protection and more oil for the $.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start an oil thread, though I do read them all.

Amsoil Sabre is probably the most controversial oil on this site, some love it and some hate it. I honestly have been swayed right and left so much that I now set perfectly in the middle with WTF look on my face. LOL

Added: I do totally disagree with the 100:1 ratio.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start an oil thread, though I do read them all.

Amsoil Sabre is probably the most controversial oil on this site, some love it and some hate it. I honestly have been swayed right and left so much that I now set perfectly in the middle with WTF look on my face. LOL

Added: I do totally disagree with the 100:1 ratio.

Haha 100:1 is madness, I dont care what the bottle says. But amsoil saber at 40:1 should be good. Although the oil threads make me shake my head and think WTF as well.

Haha 100:1 is madness, I dont care what the bottle says. But amsoil saber at 40:1 should be good. Although the oil threads make me shake my head and think WTF as well.

I have been using Amsoil motor oil in my cars and trucks for several years and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Which Terry are you referring to?

I just bought two pints of Stihl ultra because I could't find the good Husky oil anywhere.
Sorry meant Randy, haven't talked to Terry in a while.
If I say which Randy I might be in the band :guitar:;).
You should be fine as long as you don't go richer than 40:1.

Sorry meant Randy, haven't talked to Terry in a while.
If I say which Randy I might be in the band :guitar:;).
You should be fine as long as you don't go richer than 40:1.
LOL.

Now I am sitting on 2 pints of Stihl oil doubting my purchase. Maybe I will burn it in my outboard. :omg::rare2:

In seriousness I will burn it but I am surprised to hear it has problems richer than 40:1. But these guys spend way more time researching than I do so I'll take their word.

I've got no issues with any Randy east of the Mississippi.

I'm the same about the oil threads, I read them to get any new information not to duck purses being swung.

I've ran Saber 32:1 for a while with no issues, in both the modded saws and stock 510.

I used to use stihl one shots but both value and flexibility have made me buy a litre of super and a very large syringe to measure it out. My modest scrounging meant I gallon of fuel lasted too long, now I have the flexibility to make just a litre or 3.

we like stabilizers here... quite effective! you got ethanol free gasoline (petrol) there? we can get it. not cheap, but good stuff!

LOL.

Now I am sitting on 2 pints of Stihl oil doubting my purchase. Maybe I will burn it in my outboard. :omg::rare2:

In seriousness I will burn it but I am surprised to hear it has problems richer than 40:1. But these guys spend way more time researching than I do so I'll take their word.

I've got no issues with any Randy east of the Mississippi.
No biggie SVK.
Lets be real guys.
There are very few in this thread that use a saw enough to be very concerned about any of this.
The build-up only comes after much use, not a few tanks a month, but a few tanks a day.
I believe the same with any issues on saws running 50:1.
We run a greater risk of accidentally straight gassing a saw before we will ever see a problem from running 40:1 stihl ultra or running 50:1 :crazy2:.
Lets not get to excited, many guys have run 50:1 for many yrs 5 days a week and no problems. I'm sure the same can be said for the stihl ultra at 40:1, but I don't know of those.

I usually do a gallon or .8 gallon at once then mix up a new batch and throw the rest in if it is getting down there or has sat for a bit. If it has sat more than a season it goes in the truck.
This should be more of a concern than what I was talking about above.
The amount of time a fuel sits is of great concern if running ethanol.
As the ethanol separates the mix does not adhere to the ethanol molecules (this is my understanding anyway) then you are running straight ethanol, not good.
I only mix 2 gallons at a time and use it in less than a month. If this was not the case I would mix a gallon at a time.
If that didn't get used in a month I would buy ethanol free fuel and mix a gallon and make sure it was used within 3 months.
If that wasn't being used I would just by the pre-mixed cans.
Hope this helps someone.

ETHANOL WILL GIVE YOU PROBLEMS IN SMALL ENGINES NOT RUN ON A NORMAL BASIS.
THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, BUT FACT, YES I'M YELLING LOL.

I have no issues with him either.
I don't know how much research he has done, but plenty of experience, I trust experience.

There have been other things said in private conversations with me personally and others with similar experience that lead me to believe that 50:1 is fine, but they run 40:1 because they always have.

I used to use stihl one shots but both value and flexibility have made me buy a litre of super and a very large syringe to measure it out. My modest scrounging meant I gallon of fuel lasted too long, now I have the flexibility to make just a litre or 3.

And flexibility is where a graduated oil measuring device comes in real handy!!!

Awesome avatar pic btw!!!!

I usually do a gallon or .8 gallon at once then mix up a new batch and throw the rest in if it is getting down there or has sat for a bit. If it has sat more than a season it goes in the truck.

I usually do a new batch of 1.5 gallons of 110 a month or so. It will still give you the same "Wooo yeah" expression when you stick your nose in it as when new.

All of the 4 wheelers smell good anyways. They get the residual.

Back