Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, I forgot about that one. Did you go with the 346 P&C.
That should be a piece of cake after working on the little mac.
From what I have seen, they are just like a 353 when cutting. The only major difference is the air filter access.
I love the 353, a little better lower end torque(if that can be said for a 50cc saw lol) than the 346.
I also like the 450 rancher which is a tad less on power than what yours should be, and only has one bar nut(worked just fine for me though).
Let us know how it goes. I have a 353 I may do also as I bought it scored, we'll see.
Well I bought a 45mm Chinese P and C set (marketed by Huztl but branded Farmertec) because it was priced to move but will probably use that piston in the OE 45MM cylinder if we can salvage it. The Chinese cylinder ports are really shoddy and need significant clean up so I will probably keep that one as a spare and we will port it so it flows decently.

FWIW, fellow AS'er Mattyo did a test of a bunch of different cylinders and the Hyway one came out on top even over the OE 346. If you want that 353 to rip I would go in that direction.

Well I bought a 45mm Chinese P and C set (marketed by Huztl but branded Farmertec) because it was priced to move but will probably use that piston in the OE 45MM cylinder if we can salvage it. The Chinese cylinder ports are really shoddy and need significant clean up so I will probably keep that one as a spare and we will port it so it flows decently.

FWIW, fellow AS'er Mattyo did a test of a bunch of different cylinders and the Hyway one came out on top even over the OE 346. If you want that 353 to rip I would go in that direction.

Thanks svk.
I planned on getting one, but want the larger one, they are only $30-40 and are not a bad deal.
I think I may just send my saw to someone who has everything set up to do it, and have the P&C sent there as well.
Mine has other issues as well so for the amount of hassle, I could be doing other things.
It would also be on the 346 platform(353) so I feel that makes it more sellable down the rd if I find something else to play with:).
Talking about it is making me get a little more anxious to do it, especially since the cost of the saw was paid last summer and the rest is a relatively small amount. I also have a brand new 18" B&C all ready to go for it. Besides I only have a few 50cc saws right now so you know I "need" another LOL.
Maybe I will get it ready to ship today, but first I need to get my butt outside and finish the intake on the suburban:yes:.

Thanks svk.
I planned on getting one, but want the larger one, they are only $30-40 and are not a bad deal.
I think I may just send my saw to someone who has everything set up to do it, and have the P&C sent there as well.
Mine has other issues as well so for the amount of hassle, I could be doing other things.
If I have 200-250 total into a nice ported saw and I don't have to do anything but ship it, that's not to bad to me.
It would also be on the 346 platform(353) so I feel that makes it more sellable down the rd if I find something else to play with:).
Talking about it is making me get a little more anxious to do it, especially since the cost of the saw was paid last summer and the rest is a relatively small amount. I also have a brand new 18" B&C all ready to go for it. Besides I only have a few 50cc saws right now so you know I "need" another LOL.
Maybe I will get it ready to ship today, but first I need to get my butt outside and finish the intake on the suburban:yes:.
I'll continue this via PM, dont want to let saw porting take over what is normally a calm thread. :happy::happy::happy:

Steve: I have a couple of Mac-10s, but the starters are on the other side.
Mike is correct, they are beasts, lots of power and noise, they will shiver your timbers, lots of vibs.
I can only run mine about 30 min and the hand goes numb. besides I have gentler saw to run.
The 455 rancher and the Makita 6400s are easier on the old body.
Wet, cold, raw today, may have to use another match to get the chill out of the house.
Hope the WX gets better, I have tons of wood to split and more on the way, the scrounge comes to me.
Dancan: I luv the pics of the pine splittings, I could smell the pine sap from here. When I get it fresh, I cut a stripe
down the bark with the saw and as it dries the bark peels off. Also kills the bugs, beetles etc.
Also keeps Ms House Wren busy as she picks up a free meal.
It's a win,win, I get the wood free , the birds get free bugs and I get to heat the house free.

If it's free, It's for me.

Ugly Coyote Logging, Blow downs and wind falls preferred, Put it on the ground, I'll take it.
Just too old and fat to climb.

What Matt's test does not answer is if the AM parts have the consistency of OEM, or did he just get lucky?
That is typically a matter of what the supplier demands from the place of origin.
They give us what we tell them we want.
It's our own people who have sold us out on the Chinese scooters and Honda clone motors, and now the Asian saws and parts(not saying all the products are bad, they are not). The new county line splitters with "Kohler" motors, Chinese clone motors. They will run for a long time and probably out last some of the more expensive alternatives out there, but they certainly are not a GX series Honda motor.
So if you get the parts from the same people he did you should have good consistency, although it is not an oem quality kit. For those who are unaware the 346 kits have dropped in price substantially in the recent past, and that has helped make them a more viable option and takes out the guess work of the consistency.
I am calm svk, and only stating the facts:).

I have been in full scrounge mode for a while now. One reason I haven't posted much. The other reason is fishing season started, and the brook trout have been awful hungry this spring. I'm usually pretty tired after cuttin' wood all day. 10 cord don't come too easy when it's just me doin' it. It don't get done just staring at the trees. lol

Yes, brook trout. Nothin' better than a pan fried brookie, in real butter, and a mess of fresh picked fiddleheads.
Fiddle heads too! Oh man. Quit teasing!!!

I hear the morels are about 45 miles south of us. I'm going to try and get out soon to see if I can find any.

Took my scrounge boat out on its first fishing trip today. After both bearing caps flew off. I guess the last guy bought ones that were slightly small. Actually found some at an echo dealer for a buck apiece and borrowed a hammer to install. That cs 620 is quite a good looking piece of equipment. Made it to the lake and my son caught a nice lake trout. Only fish of the day and my dumb bum left it on the stringer and learned how to take a rope out of a prop over 42 degree water. No fish. Lol but had much needed dad son time with oldest boy.

>and my son caught a nice lake trout

oh boy!!!! :)

> stringer - rope - prop - No fish.

oh no!!! :cry:

Back