Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 501775 View attachment 501776

Dropped this pine that the wind blew the top out of. Nice and straight and sat up nicely on piles of dry wood that we had sitting there. Thats a 30 inch bar on my 441.
Nice looking pine there koomie.
How do you process those narrow(to me) chunks.
Do your stoves take smaller pieces of wood.

IMG_20140722_104713303.jpg
They are fun to drop in the Far North too. Next felling job is gums about the same DBH but way taller. Drop, mill, season, kiln, run into flooring and decking, and firewood the rest of the trees. Should keep me busy for farking ages. Need something bigger than the dolmar 7900 and 32" bar though. Let a mint husky 2100 slip through my fingers last year. Kicking myself about it now.

I used one of those when it was new in the late 70's I think. Decent little saw. I don't remember it not having any dawg? Add it to the Mac and the working collection grows.
Cool! I was kinda wondering what happened to the dawg as well. I'm working on another saw of the same make and model and it to is missing the dawg. Hmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

View attachment 501790
They are fun to drop in the Far North too. Next felling job is gums about the same DBH but way taller. Drop, mill, season, kiln, run into flooring and decking, and firewood the rest of the trees. Should keep me busy for farking ages. Need something bigger than the dolmar 7900 and 32" bar though. Let a mint husky 2100 slip through my fingers last year. Kicking myself about it now.
That pine makes the dolmar look like a kids toy. But we all know they are bad machines for power to weight ratios.
Looks like you dropped it to the high side into the back of the pasture. Do you have any more pictures of it.

Each ring is approximately 14 inches long. We use a diesel powered splitter.
[photo="medium"]815[/photo]
Nice.
You guys sure have a lot of heavy duty equipment there. Is that the norm, or are you guys the exceptions. Is this for your use or resale.
I see the pictures with the heavy duty trailers, and I know that gum is some heavy stuff, just wonder is most the stuff people cut that heavy, or do many burn the softwoods too.

That pine makes the dolmar look like a kids toy. But we all know they are bad machines for power to weight ratios.
Looks like you dropped it to the high side into the back of the pasture. Do you have any more pictures of it.
Dolly is great saw. But the need for something bigger is not going away anytime soon. A pity I haven't enough money yet for a big saw. If I had the money, there's lots of gear I need to buy or make up to complete the big wood harvest and process jigsaw puzzle. One day, I hope. Pine was dropped to the left. Was my first time using a bottle Jack for lift. Pics on my laptop. Will post next time I'm able. Didn't do a perfect job with the cuts though, but should be good for a laugh when you see it. I now use two x 10t bottle jacks and 8t of winch cable pull if I need to persuade some trees off their lean and wedges alone won't do it. Especially the red gums bc the fibres are brittle and I can't seem to swing them with much success. Only once have I managed to get a good amount of swing on one and that took ages and was dicey.

I used one of those when it was new in the late 70's I think. Decent little saw. I don't remember it not having any dawg? Add it to the Mac and the working collection grows.
Lots of saws from where I'm from don't have dawgs. I guess when you are only cutting aspen and pine you don't really need them?

Dolly is great saw. But the need for something bigger is not going away anytime soon. A pity I haven't enough money yet for a big saw. If I had the money, there's lots of gear I need to buy or make up to complete the big wood harvest and process jigsaw puzzle. One day, I hope. Pine was dropped to the left. Was my first time using a bottle Jack for lift. Pics on my laptop. Will post next time I'm able. Didn't do a perfect job with the cuts though, but should be good for a laugh when you see it. I now use two x 10t bottle jacks and 8t of winch cable pull if I need to persuade some trees off their lean and wedges alone won't do it. Especially the red gums bc the fibres are brittle and I can't seem to swing them with much success. Only once have I managed to get a good amount of swing on one and that took ages and was dicey.
Great info.
Looking forward to the pictures, doubt I will laugh to much as I don't normally work with trees over 30" and most of the ones I have were felled by someone else and I was just the lucky one who cleaned up the aftermath.
So when you are setting up for the jack do you use wedges to hold the tree on the hinge and from setting back or do you not cut that far into it as to allow it to sit back. Seems with pine being brittle you could pop the hinge wood if trying to "persuade some trees off their lean" as i have seen this happen before on smaller trees and the tree ends up going right where they didn't want it to :omg::dumb:. Always nice to get a big bull rope in the tree up high or a cable to give some assistance in those cases, and it sounds as though the red gums would be even more susceptible to breaking the hinge. We have a lot of dead ash trees and these can be very bad if they are to rotten as you don't even get in to set up the hinge and they are already falling. I have a group of smaller ones(7-10") to remove next week along with two larger ones(12-14"). They are all still solid and the hinges will hold well, but a couple have very bad leans and will need a lot of help to over come it. I will be using my tractor to persuade some to go where I want and the skidding winch to direct others. I'll get some pictures of the before and after, but there may not be any action shots as it will be a time sensitive job with the power company dropping lines so we can work as some are bare wires and they will drop the service to the house as well.

Well I managed to scrounge a little wood from my golf course scrounge spot last night after a mowing job.
I also made another contact for some maple off a construction site. When we left I was looking at the pile, not to big of one, and said I wonder how many trees it is or if it was just one bigger one and my boy responds saying it was definitely more than one I saw at least two hinges in the pile. Interesting the things kids pick up:). Then as we pulled out we saw two stumps:D.
Have a good day everyone.20160506_091804.jpg

My next scrounge. No that's not me up there! It's a young arborist we hired to take this tree down at my father in laws place. He is doing a fantastic job rigging and lowering pieces down and swinging limbs from over the roof. Once it's on the ground, it's all mine. I unfortunately got my hands on his 562 running full skip on a 24" bar...sigh...I think I'm in love!image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg This is the aftermath. Arborist left it pretty tidy and chipped all the brush. This is a 30" dbh tree if you're on a step ladder! The rest is up to me and my boys. Leaning heavy on the boys cause my man cold turned out to be pneumonia and I've been out of commission since Tuesday.
I better get back in shape quick, cause my farmer buddy called last night and he has another load for me!

Latest posts

Back