Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worry, was just thinking about Philbert asking if it was free hand.
Yes sir! Alone in the wilderness, Mr Proenneke was an amazing man for sure! Great movie, he lived a great life.
I've got all three DVDs of his on my hard drive. Only watched the first one, but what a great thing to be up there at that time in history and living off the land. Must have been lonely at times though. I wouldn't miss some people or city life and such, but be hard thinking of Family and not being nearby at times.

I scrounged some Sugar Maple and Black Elm last night. Hydro had cut some down along our back roads near my place to install new poles. I saw that they made a mess of a larger Red Oak so I went to talk to the guy's house that the cut trees were near and asked him what was up. He said that they asked him if he wanted it dropped or not and he said no. t would have dropped it because there are only about 5 branches at the top left on it now plus it's North of his property and provides no shade or wind block. Anyways, he beat me back to the downed maples and elms when I got back. Oh well, I got 1/3 trailer full.

I've got all three DVDs of his on my hard drive. Only watched the first one, but what a great thing to be up there at that time in history and living off the land. Must have been lonely at times though. I wouldn't miss some people or city life and such, but be hard thinking of Family and not being nearby at times.

he got there in 1967. some say '68. he stayed very busy... dint seem to be alone. he was there not so much to skip out on society, but to live a more natural, simpler life. he had many, many visitors... from around the globe. john Denver was often dropping by when he was still kicking... and many of his friends came to see him annually. he lived alone, but was noted for his friendliness and overall hospitality. of course, he had much to write about and many letters to read and reply to. and Babe was a frequent visitor and the forest service, too. although they soon became too frquent. i really liked that he had Gold Creek within walk of his cabin. gold was on 35 an oz or so then... he could have cleaned up today... the outhouse was not for him, but for guests... well, wonder if that held true during the deep cold of winter? :cold: I know where and how I would be taking care of my library time... given it was windy howling outside and -60F! not even an issue there... lol ;)

need I say more!! ? :cool:

P1010020.JPG P1010024.JPG

this lil Echo CS-271 is one firebreathing, rip snorting sawing beast! believe it! see pix! I had the new scrounge to cut up, some big stuff in that for a lil saw... and some older chunks I wanted to downsize and trim to prep to split. and I cut all this with the lil 271! really like this lil saw. running it is like using a ported work saw with a degree or two of timing upped in it. with a muff mod to boot! it screams! and puts out the torque, too... real strong, smooth steady cutting power - spits out nice kerf chips. my stihls I can run ok with foam ear plugs in... this baby I had to add ear muffs, too. kicks a** and takes names! I went thru 1 1/2 tanks fuel, maybe one tank bar lube... and I sharpened the chain first before use and before 2nd tank full. I had hit some metal up at the farm... quick kiss, but I noted the loss of cutting ability... it was down to about 85%!. resharpened back up to snuff. for work like this I would sharped first with each tank refill. just makes a nice difference. the older wood chunks were harder as dryer than the newer scrounge. but the wood clearly knew who was in charge. ck out all those big fresh round's faces. all cuts done with the 271. a small saw, but I am here to tell you... in the leagues with my 019T and my 026 would respect it, as well. all in all, one very nice cutting saw. 'we' went thru those chunks like a hot knife thru butta'... :yes:

Too hot for cutting here yesterday at 87* , you Southerners can have all that heat .
I did decide to hop on the 1020 and do a bit of splorin for future areas to scrounge up some firewood :)

IMG_20160716_135938.jpg

Glad I brought a saw with me :)

IMG_20160716_141042.jpg

IMG_20160716_141726.jpg

IMG_20160716_142016.jpg

IMG_20160716_142059.jpg

Who needs an ATV LOL

IMG_20160716_142041.jpg

I did find a kit bag in the marsh , filled it up with more than 2 dozen faded empty cans that were heaped around a small firepit and brought them home
Plenty of leaners to be had .

IMG_20160716_142752.jpg

IMG_20160716_142906.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman :)

need I say more!! ? :cool:

View attachment 513823 View attachment 513824

this lil Echo CS-271 is one firebreathing, rip snorting sawing beast! believe it! see pix! I had the new scrounge to cut up, some big stuff in that for a lil saw... and some older chunks I wanted to downsize and trim to prep to split. and I cut all this with the lil 271! really like this lil saw. running it is like using a ported work saw with a degree or two of timing upped in it. with a muff mod to boot! it screams! and puts out the torque, too... real strong, smooth steady cutting power - spits out nice kerf chips. my stihls I can run ok with foam ear plugs in... this baby I had to add ear muffs, too. kicks a** and takes names! I went thru 1 1/2 tanks fuel, maybe one tank bar lube... and I sharpened the chain first before use and before 2nd tank full. I had hit some metal up at the farm... quick kiss, but I noted the loss of cutting ability... it was down to about 85%!. resharpened back up to snuff. for work like this I would sharped first with each tank refill. just makes a nice difference. the older wood chunks were harder as dryer than the newer scrounge. but the wood clearly knew who was in charge. ck out all those big fresh round's faces. all cuts done with the 271. a small saw, but I am here to tell you... in the leagues with my 019T and my 026 would respect it, as well. all in all, one very nice cutting saw. 'we' went thru those chunks like a hot knife thru butta'... :yes:
What kind of Oak is it? I'm somewhat familiar with most North American species, but I only come across two or three species here in Ontario....... Red, White and sometimes Pin.

Too hot for cutting here yesterday at 87* , you Southerners can have all that heat .
I did decide to hop on the 1020 and do a bit of splorin for future areas to scrounge up some firewood :)

IMG_20160716_135938.jpg

IMG_20160716_141042.jpg

IMG_20160716_141726.jpg

IMG_20160716_142016.jpg

IMG_20160716_142059.jpg

Who needs an ATV LOL

IMG_20160716_142041.jpg

I did find a kit bag in the marsh , filled it up with more than 2 dozen faded empty cans that were heaped around a small firepit and brought them home

IMG_20160716_142752.jpg

IMG_20160716_142906.jpg

Nice pics as usual of the "
Dancan Wilderness"
Looks like a fun time exploring.
I found three more Red Oaks that Hydro has marked to cut so I just need to know when they're dropping them to get scrounging at it.

had some issues with my lil Echo... but short version, all sorted out and working better than ever! what a beast! more than up for the task today!
View attachment 513822

Nice looking saw, it looks brand new. Good wood to. I guess you don't need a lot of fire wood down there.

Been stayin very busy! Cut & split a little on Friday, then finished working on my brother's TS400 and got that back to him, he was ecstatic!

Saturday Dropped 2 Pine and a Spruce for my Step Son. They had to be tied so it took some time (near power lines & leaning the wrong way). All 3 trees cut to length & split (he has an outdoor burn pit).

Today I delivered 3 trailer loads of wood (1/2 cord each), the first deliveries of this year that were not to my daughter. Then I scrounged 6 more pallets to stack wood on, and started playing with my Clamshell Saw build (converting the 029 to a 390). The difference in piston size is enormous. Got the new piston on, but now all the filthy parts have to be cleaned up, YUK!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_200809179_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160717_200809179_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160717_200740043_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160717_200740043_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160717_200758059_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160717_200758059_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20160717_235128549.jpg
    IMG_20160717_235128549.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
Hey guys.

I was on a canoe trip for the past week and out of cell service. Did some real firewood scrounging out there but not much for pics. Weather was mostly crappy but we slayed the fish when we could get out. We had three awesome meals of fish cooked in various methods.

It was a Murphy's law type of trip. We destroyed 4 new rain suits on our way in, broke or lost three rods and two reels, and I forgot to pack my sleeping bag, sweatshirt, and swimsuit. But we had many good times too.

Here's a cedar log I scrounged from a forest fire area that had started burning from the inside out when the fire came through.
image.jpeg

? so you forgot your sleeping bag, did you make a sleeping cover out of some of that cedar fiber ? good for shedding rain as well ! out there in the bush for a week will make you remember real quick what you forgot? lol good for you and time with friends steve.. do it more often as you can! summer is closing fast!BTW. ever try boiled walleye with old bay and melted real butter on them? kind of a poor mans lobster.. UM-um good!

? so you forgot your sleeping bag, did you make a sleeping cover out of some of that cedar fiber ? good for shedding rain as well ! out there in the bush for a week will make you remember real quick what you forgot? lol good for you and time with friends steve.. do it more often as you can! summer is closing fast!BTW. ever try boiled walleye with old bay and melted real butter on them? kind of a poor mans lobster.. UM-um good!
We did poor mans lobster twice! Sprinkle with lemon pepper and dip in garlic butter. Also learned that bass meat actually holds together better than walleye when poached!

My smart and resourceful wife was able to zip the kids sleeping bags together and make due. We did end up spending one night laying directly on the sleeping pads with one bag covering both of us when one of the bags got wet and didn't dry before bedtime.

IMG_20160716_135938.jpg

IMG_20160716_141042.jpg

IMG_20160716_141726.jpg

IMG_20160716_142016.jpg

IMG_20160716_142059.jpg

Who needs an ATV LOL

IMG_20160716_142041.jpg

IMG_20160716_142752.jpg

IMG_20160716_142906.jpg

like that M-F 1020... first view pix is great... wonderful wooded scene and sun... looks like a perfect afternoon... thx for the show! :)

Nice job with the echo there BL. Getting new oiler put in my 019 now. It's been a go getter ever since I bought it new 15 years or so now don't remember what year I got it. Hope to get the new 201 TC M tronic soon anyway great job with your echo.

thanks Thornton! appreciate the pat on back! :) good saws those 019Ts. got one myself and acquired it in '97. still runs pretty good. real good, in fact. really like my 019T.

What kind of Oak is it? I'm somewhat familiar with most North American species, but I only come across two or three species here in Ontario....... Red, White and sometimes Pin.

I think the oaks in my neighborhood are referred to as water oaks aka pin oak. I see there are some 600 types, so u can be sure other than half dozen or so... well, not too vested in a list like that. lol.

http://www.thetreegeek.com/trees/water-oak/

also:
http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/Display_Onetree.aspx?tid=83

Latest posts

Back