Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a plan for all that lumber, your starting to get some inventory it looks like.

Right now I'm thinking some work benches, but I'm welcome to ideas and may sell some if anyone wants it (but tough to do till it drys).

I can also always run the 2" pieces through a band saw and make two 3/4" boards!

Right now I'm thinking some work benches, but I'm welcome to ideas and may sell some if anyone wants it (but tough to do till it drys).

I can also always run the 2" pieces through a band saw and make two 3/4" boards!
No real ideas. The white oak we milled up will be for perlins for my wood shed.
Then the red oak we milled up will be the slats. I will leave the spaces that shrink up for airflow. I need to shoot the post with the transit real quick and figure out the grade and buy a few green boards. If I had some big black locust I'd mill those up for the skirt boards.

As a side story probably 75 percent of the wood I've ever was cut with my dad's 65. I still regret giving it up even though it was plumb wore out.

This one came with a 24" bar which will spend more time on my 2186 and 562 while the 65 will wear a 16"or 20" bar normally.
That's hilarious svk.
I was going to ask you what you were going to do with that big ole bar since I knew uou would but a 16" on it lol.

Happy birthday buddy:cheers:.

View attachment 523611 This is my new favorite saw. Throws noodles better than my Italian neighbor, and is ridiculous when cutting cookies. All I have are rounds so I can't wait to get a log where I can really lean on it without chasing the wood around. Couldn't help but notice the pencil sized exhaust hole.....
When I was done playing, I cut some skids with the new crapsman and stacked the rest of the "done been split" pile. As soon as it drops a few degrees, I'm going to get back on the splitter but right now I'm going to the beach!

One of the best noodlers I have ever seen was a 460. It was ridiculous.

Happy birthday Steve!!!!!

I helped my cousin scrounge up a firewood saw, as he bought a house with a wood furnace this summer. It's a runner, but needs the clutch, drum, and bearing replaced, as the previous owner 'forgot' to put the e clip on when he last ran it, and decided it wasn't worth fixing.

2016-09-06 07.39.54.jpg 2016-09-06 07.39.46.jpg 2016-09-06 07.39.49.jpg
$275 for the PH, and I'm helping him order a clutch and a 20" bar for it. Should be a runner.

He has never run anything stronger than a 290 Farm Boss before this. He went to pick up the saw last night, and texted me that it's a beast. I think I just created another case of CAD in the family.

Forgot to take pictures but this weekend we scouted out the next trees to come down at my place.

One will be the largest diameter aspen I have ever cut. It is near my spring well so it has had ample moisture. It is still healthy but could decimate my sauna building if it came down in the wrong wind. It is kind of a rectangular shaped base about 22-24" wide and about 20" thick DBH so I actually have a reason to use my larger bars.

Another one will be the largest aspen by total size I have ever cut. About 20" DBH and extremely tall. Again will need to be dropped away from the sauna.

Three more aspen (16-18" DBH) that have lots of fungus growths so I know the lower core is rotten and another 14 incher leaning over the road that the wind has partially uprooted will also come down this fall.

Good thing I have all of my CAD saws to help me tackle all of these. ;)

Still alive and recuperating.
After two weeks in Yale NH , I came home with a new heart valve and a Pacemaker.
Gonna be on lite duty for at est a month. Still on the ten pound limit.
Staying with my daughter. No internet at her house.
I'l check in when I can.
CUL FREDM Oxford, CT

After two weeks in Yale NH , I came home with a new heart valve and a Pacemaker.
I'l check in when I can.
CUL FREDM Oxford, CT
Speedy recovery. May your time with family be enjoyable.

I'l check in when I can.
CUL FREDM Oxford, CT
May god bless you with a speedy recovery.

Well , I was disappointed about that payed to scrounge job not panning out but , this "Cut for the wood" job less than a mile from home just got the go ahead :)

IMG_20160907_191549.jpg

Going in about 40' deep were the treeline starts for a house and back yard and polly a septic field after the homeowner gets it flagged by Sunday .
No monster trees but there'll polly be 2 cord of birch and maple with atleast 5 cord of mainly spruce with a few pine and fir .
Jerry and I drug one of the tractors down , we'll have the other one down before we start :)

IMG_20160907_191553.jpg

I'l check in when I can.
CUL FREDM Oxford, CT
Hope and pray for a speedy and full recovery, and the new parts work better than the old ones, take care.

Latest posts

Back