Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the rain quit before it got cold so no close to the house firewood. Set a house in Collingwood today and just got home awhile ago. Loggers are cutting just down the road from me. Local cash crop farmer has them do all his farms on a pretty regular basis. I know I could get all the wood I want for next to nothing from them as they usually just let the tops rot. One of those deals that would be great but I already have my hands full right close to home so best not to ask as I would just work myself to death for firewood that I can't seem to sell. There sure is a big pile of logs there and they have been hauling them away steady too.
Seems like everyone is doing firewood this year. I think a lot of logging is happening because people want to cut the ash before it's too late. Whatever the reason, I had a hard time selling last year so this year I'm going to scrounge for myself and go fishing!

Yeah, was 4 degrees and windy on Monday. I had to go out to the chicken pen and reach bare-handed into their bucket to re-situate the deicer. The walk back to the house HURT. Then it was 50 degrees yesterday, and rained buckets. Now we're back to 30, but sunny and no wind. I wish ma nature would make up her mind.

I had one from the firepit go down the neck of my shirt. Still have the scar on my stomach and it burned a hole through the shirt too. Luckily it was only a pea sized ember!

A sober man would have just hopped up and let it fall on through. LOL. Don't ask me how I know that.

I had plans to go to the bush today but wimped out on the cutting wood part. Went back to the bush and back bladed the trail so I could get to the bush. Took the rear blade off and put the rear grapple back on. I was pretty much frozen at that point so I decided it was still going to be too cold tomorrow so I loaded the log trailer onto my car hauler and will go to work in the morning and do some more welding improvements on it. I might go to the bush Sunday just to keep my man card. - 11 C (12 F) overnight tonight.

It's already up to -10. Heat wave!

A tropical heat wave? Gotta toss in the grumpy old men reference. I love the 20-30 below weather, but right near -40ºF? Dannnngg....I suppose the only difference is you're snot freezes a micro second sooner, just something about that frozen face feel, and then walking into a toasty house with a fire going. Some people don't know what they're missin..

Latest posts

Back