Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, yes. Rental yards won't even rent out posthole augers because of all the frost in the ground. They seem shocked when I tell them there is no frost.

Frost laws on the roads came on last week here in surrounding counties. Super early. That usually doesn't happen until march.

Sent from a field

I've been trying to sneak a barn in. It's pretty far along, I need to fix my fence back up before I can run the cows in. Winter building is hit and miss.

Well geezz , I'm sorry you guys , it was a pic of a six of the most beautiful scantily clad mermaids you ever saw playing harps and a dozen of their most beautiful topless mermaid triplets in a wood fired hot tub waiving us in to their cottage by the ocean with live edged picnic tables overflowing with smoked salmon , lobstahs , oysters , caviar and scallops , rib-eye steaks , roast chicken and BBQ'ed ribs , tubs of beers , rums , whiskeys and vodka of all nationalities , gallons of Maple syrup , prosciutto and other hams , Montreal smoked meat , sausages and a mountain of cheeses from all continents , roasted garlic , fried onions , gallons of beef , pork , chicken and turkey gravy and stuffin , a truckload of homemade bread and rolls that just smelled out of this world and me throwing scrounged up dry spruce in that wood fired heater with a grin that a thousand dollar bill couldn't wipe off my face ....
I almost forgot , there's a small table at the top left with a salad , grits , water and a Vegemite sandwich ...... Sorry .
What? No bacon?
images

Unfortunately, yes. Rental yards won't even rent out posthole augers because of all the frost in the ground. They seem shocked when I tell them there is no frost.

Frost laws on the roads came on last week here in surrounding counties. Super early. That usually doesn't happen until march.

Sent from a field
What is a Frost law ?

I understand AK has permafrost but thats different

What is a Frost law ?

I understand AK has permafrost but thats different

MI allows trucks to weigh up to 160,000 pounds. So during the spring when the frost is coming out of the ground those weights are reduced to limit the impact on the roads. We call them "frost laws"

Sent from a field

MI allows trucks to weigh up to 160,000 pounds. So during the spring when the frost is coming out of the ground those weights are reduced to limit the impact on the roads. We call them "frost laws"

Sent from a field
Some call it half load season.

I don't think I ever tire of listening to this!
They are quite funny. If you look around on youtube, there are a bunch of them and they all get me laughing, and mad all at the same timeo_O.
IKR!!!
Hell, it ain't all glory below the old Mason Dixon line...but hard wood is everywhere.
Just saw a guy burn about 6 cords of ash & hedge outdoors in his field for giggles...couldn't sell it for $50 a load...DELIVERED!!!!!:crazy2:
So he grabs a case of Colt 45's & bottle of Jägermeister and starts one hella va bonfire!:cheers::drinking::eek::barbecue:
That's a sad story, I'd like to try some hedge, both cutting it and burning it.
New chainsaw buddy I just met sent me this last week, I thought it was a knee slapper :blob2::laugh::laughing:.
IMG_69341.png

Im certainly over it. Ive got a barn to build and I cant even dig the post holes...
Yes it's a year like no other I've ever seen here in Mi, I don't like it either :(.
How big are you building, do you have a barn build thread :).
I want to do one too, hope to do something in the spring.
Looks like we might be returning to our regularly scheduled winter this weekend. Here's hoping!
We had snow flurries here that turned into light snow this morning. The ground was getting covered, but then it all melted as the ground is still way to warm.
I may go outside and rip a few small box elders of the side of my drive. They will grow back so quick if I cut them off so I just figure I could rip them up roots and all while the ground is soft.
They do come on often in January as it's quite normal to get a January thaw, but for weeks, this is very abnormal.
Some call it half load season.
I've never heard that on this side of the pond before. It does make some sense even thought it's only 25-35% of the load depending on the county you are in. What really sucks is doing 35 MPH for a ways down a road that other people don't even know has limits. I have been called some very interesting names as well as being told I was number one for obeying the laws. If your caught over weight or speeding on those routes the road commission/DOT or locally DOT trained cops don't have much mercy on you, even when their signs are often not visible for one reason or another :(.
It's all part of operating a truck on the rds here :envy:.

I did a 20 X 24 post & beam for my hunting cabin, all posts & beam cut from Ash trees with the chainsaw, and I did a thread on it quite a while back.
That's very cool, and I remember it. I want to do a dormer on the front of my place that way, but I'd probably end up covering it all up to make it an air lock of sorts to get into the house which would be sort of a waste as I'd like it all exposed.
24x32.

No build thread yet because I haven't actually started. I have the batter boards up and lines run to layout the posts.... But those were put up in standing water!
It sure has been an odd yr.
Im glad it's cooled down a bit, but it's going to take a while for it to get froze back up. I did rip out two 5-6" box elders today root ball and all as well as a cherry about the same size. I'll probably cut thoseup with the 201 rear handle when I get a minute as I've only made one cut with it so far.
We built a 32x48 with a 10' lean to at my buddies last summer. I can't remember if I posted pictures here or in the GMT.
Sorry if I did already, but it is a nice building. 20161004_135518.jpg
I managed to run a saw a little, here's my better side cutting one of the poles, please don't call osha on me guys(pretty sure I had my safety glasses on ;)).IMG_26861.jpg

He's back!

What's up! I'm stuck in the middle east. It was a really short notice deployment so I had a ton of things to take care of. I really miss cutting and burning firewood. The good news is I'm saving a ton of money and plan on going all out with firewood cutting when I return. I'm about to buy the BBK for the Makita.

Yeah, very few trees around here. Very little grass for that matter. I've been wondering what the hell the sheep eat. It hasn't been that long but I totally forgot the chainsaw models I have until I saw my signature line. I have to go to one of those saw GTG thingies when I get back for some firewood cutting therapy.

Latest posts

Back