Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually bought an MS170 today because it was on sale from $179 down to $159, so that was a little over 10%. I know that's the cheapest I ever paid for a new saw, even going back in to the 70's. I'll have to see if any of my old owners manuals have the price we paid for a Super EZ, I bet they were $159 or more. Ratz, I just remembered, I bought a Wild Thing for $99 once, Joe.

Along with the yardsale Ryobi I also scrounged up a nice 2 1/4 lbs Wetterlings ax fo 5$, I got it hafted Sunday evening , shaved down the haft to my liking this evening .

da-tk_dg6t2YyF2Gekee4H7N0U4AUEj0y1QRES0XuD-N1Umh0NZ2px2L4QpUD-W9oBReOLbkHIvz-f5LB8X2bemSGZ_f90HcpAMonxJiIv4UIL97eP0MaQLWtO-lwWPYTYbTyUenPcJFwKbJJ53WcJ3uaIyrkFngTt6Im1iwDz7xiguNNzL_53H5oUdzGgpNUNOZd9_GhLtFUkLvjL_vf-fr2bXoLqCo3HFLRlc7wNcO2MDH8yYlOkBFAXseDjI0YQzicqRZ4xH8ceF6DsrmKRWHSS28ZLzWdq3KftaWRt3DNZuc2ys_GDVuKpvLXlS3nIyntENULgxGvSbCc8CSyNdAQ2cbqk1RuSCStuzbNzEKNNODaMbuuadqfJLduC2OloCke5g9uyN-nwzkRe99h9Ce7VdYNmJj_pXZqMx7f6sZqUhHk1-Sbm18PDDTZEq6piEG0jJhJO8sdICNPtOQV69GccXA0q6toi-ayzS0rEK_dcGjc6zhMFyGeyMN7tl0g4LAW5KK71CcjfbNW5OyjDSw55mYUkNV2VbphyUPEI96lSFiwA_z5SpE2C5vDQhCRGtwbQWDGaM057opMEmOdQYmzF2GOYAW9XYNRdq8bflbwgmokEgv1cf-bZ2hGSf6pZBM3B-NfJMOQp_0bo7jlODqYgxrTa4DRz157TL-4bM=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

gGQmS4OIyVUHCraL34x2eleQCXoZanoi5_XgqUd8KdYmeBMO-7ufMwJPeD8nlbtmRgJUVLbyW5vKUKVIhRniSTG2UYoHn7bcDWBZrfYLOJWxQGa9iOT8sS6OJk9eooTKo4daZ5uuhHulaVwEdiG71xFRwLK2_ctSE2KtBXuKwV9s2nfJA8SBoKzLY8e6-pGBmDHnU0A_nGJH1-aD1VOOWkmflh5E4rMN-bFlJgrh_JbfOtqzignQTt-oySsjh5sV3cBOxl59VVT3TgC3KAjRdtvQ8jTKdHooUkvvZfZHuovzAqu9EtkdUdHenJmLSQm8y_-5JETCGHI9fY5WoIlCU_Z01iUB1PUpPxoXs-KButELmkM_Bi5ju14Km78qoEbDPk5AUo_1ctsrzW7ppXmF7K1ERmefD9kR3QXPdIybnbOhSDTu2uNGmurHTUZQpbLHbHHRkoxi3YXdMsA_0flDfv2Wme5oTnw1sak9bVO07e2P60VlDMx1wM1rNM_pR8UCBUzImLhbahBWhip9VlraSNi6Xm2xbYkvjq_igtcvlEJw9u3gXeQbe2zMGoNd25_tkFP_Qytf4Wewdlo-ajDmmfez6nAniuedRcDv-rJzLjK_rGdT2MaGnnygz0LMHWknlY8rM3-RYnCAIk-FlWf1T2H5_scaB1_GOWFFju6WQh0=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Ready for a coat of linseed oil :)

Haven't been on in a couple weeks. Soccer, tee ball, and fishing with the kids have kept me busy. I did find some time to cut, split and stack some more wood from the massive red oak I cut for the Craigslist guy. Plus this load I got from a buddy.
IMG_20170513_155004755.jpg

Right now the wood is stacked 5 rows deep across the back of the garage where this picture was taken and I tore down the old roof to the right to build a new one to have room to stack more wood. Right now I'm stacking along the fence near the field. I didn't think I would run out of room for wood, but I did and I still have more rounds to split and more wood to cut.

Haven't been on in a couple weeks. Soccer, tee ball, and fishing with the kids have kept me busy. I did find some time to cut, split and stack some more wood from the massive red oak I cut for the Craigslist guy. Plus this load I got from a buddy.
View attachment 580052

Right now the wood is stacked 5 rows deep across the back of the garage where this picture was taken and I tore down the old roof to the right to build a new one to have room to stack more wood. Right now I'm stacking along the fence near the field. I didn't think I would run out of room for wood, but I did and I still have more rounds to split and more wood to cut.
If you were close enough I'm just the kinda guy to let you store the excess on my place til ya had room for it:dizzy::laugh:

Supposed to rain for most of the weekend which isn't the most conducive to scrounging.

I have been planning to make this a true scrounging weekend too. I have a bunch of smaller hardwood blowdowns to harvest. Planning to drag them in with the wheeler and then cut to length right in my yard. I have lots of 3/8 low profile safety chain laying around so I don't worry about cutting gritty wood.

I also checked a tops pile that I really did a number to in 2015 and although the birch is junk, amazingly most of the maple is still good. Was too busy to get out there last year and didn't expect much to be any good by now.

The Wood Nazi is back in action! Scrounged this dead elm within spitting distance of home. Called a neighboring farmer and asked if he wanted that dead tree removed before planting (soon!). Yep. Cut to 8' lengths and was delivered to my backyard via big john deere. We cleaned up all the brush and he was more than happy. So am I!IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1291.PNG IMG_1293.PNG IMG_1294.PNG

Good morning James.
It's hard to fathom how much ash is going to be turning into topsoil here in our area. It's quite sad that people don't have access to cut it. You can drive down almost every road and see ash down on the shoulders or just off the road, and sometimes even in the road o_O.
It doesn't seem right that we are all about saving the planet and let all those BTU's go to waste, what a farce, global warming:crazy2:.
Keep scrounging guys, were the ones saving the planet :yes::cheers:.

Couldn't agree more chipper1. I see it going to waste in places I'd get all kinds of tickets if I stopped

Back