Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of the powersplit international videos of their double buggy splitter. They always seem to film in Winter and those rounds don't behave like any I have ever experienced. More like pre-bundled (albeit tightly) firewood that falls apart at the mere suggestion of impact therapy. I know they have good machines but unless the manufacturer resides in a locale that doesn't see the sun for months on end, videos of splitting frozen bundled firewood leave a lingering doubt as to the machines capabilities.

Might have to put splitting frozen wood on the bucket list.

View attachment 600429 MY WIFE split her first round She really got mad at the one that wouldn't give but moved on and split a few more before we had to quit ( school nite)

Looks like she was hitting them pretty close to the middle too. Make sure she keeps her feet well away but otherwise it looks like she's got a new job! :chop:

I need some more pics of your wood stack from the previous page too. Looks like a huge amount of wood there if the stack is as wide long as it appears.

View attachment 600429 MY WIFE split her first round She really got mad at the one that wouldn't give but moved on and split a few more before we had to quit ( school nite)

That is a great shot, and I love them Fiskars, but please buy her a good set of boots before that thing lands in the wrong place (sooner or later it will happen, and sneakers are NO protection).

Other than that, so great that you have a helper!

No difference.

As for ppe, after my recent incident with the shorty handled x-shin splitter 17, I can tell you what happens if you don't have ppe. I'm now a fan of shin pads too.
What were you doing with that x-shin splitter Neil, that's funny x shin splitter :laugh:, well sort of :eek:.
It seems as you were not using the proper tool for the job.
I've never even come close to hitting myself with a splitter when using the proper one for the job, and using it properly.
If you finish the swing at your knees when splitting a round on the ground standing on end there is no way to hit yourself, unless it bounces off the round and hits you in the head :surprised3:. The proper tool and the proper technique go a long way in the area of safety.
I'm sure to wear my boots if I plan on swinging at rounds on the ground that are not standing on end(you can split small rounds this way, but it is dangerous and I don't recommend it), but I normally just stand those up quickly too. All that being said I wear my boots more than any other shoes I have, they protect my feet in so many ways I miss them when I don't have them on :yes:.

I teach my kids to bend knees and keep arms straight on the downstroke. Not quite a squat or even enough to be uncomfortable. What this does is puts your hands closer to the ground and farther away from you so if you miss or the axe glances off, it hits the ground. I have no idea if this is right and proper technique, but it works for us.

I teach my kids to bend knees and keep arms straight on the downstroke. Not quite a squat or even enough to be uncomfortable. What this does is puts your hands closer to the ground and farther away from you so if you miss or the axe glances off, it hits the ground. I have no idea if this is right and proper technique, but it works for us.
This is what I'm trying to teach also

Latest posts

Back