Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now I need to decide. Maybe you guys can help:

Do I spend 20 bucks on a piston to use one of the nicer Husky 51cc jugs I have on hand or spend $55 on a new 55cc Hyway p+c?

I have 5 jugs. Two of the 55 cc jugs are hammered on the exhaust port from being operated with a loose muffler and I think the third is pretty scored. Both 51 cc jugs are decent IIRC.

I'm only a recoil and a clutch cover away from having enough parts to build two saws from the pile of 51/55 parts I have. Oh and the spare muffler is up in MN somewhere.
Not sure, that's one I've looked into, but haven't done it so I don't remember.
@GoBigBlue1984 or @motor head are two guys who would know.

Do I spend 20 bucks on a piston to use one of the nicer Husky 51cc jugs I have on hand or spend $55 on a new 55cc Hyway p+c?

I have 5 jugs. Two of the 55 cc jugs are hammered on the exhaust port from being operated with a loose muffler and I think the third is pretty scored. Both 51 cc jugs are decent IIRC.

I'm only a recoil and a clutch cover away from having enough parts to build two saws from the pile of 51/55 parts I have. Oh and the spare muffler is up in MN somewhere.
I need the intake hose carb and air cleaner and a piston to complete my 51/55 mashup saw.

no it's only oak. :( not locust or hickory.

I just hope @dancan doesn't try to make a seat out of one of his spruce sticks :omg:

I'd do neither and just get a Stihl :innocent:

sidehills suck firewooding......

They do. Lugging wood on a slope is horrible, as @nighthunter found. About this time last year I had a day where I took three cubes down to the trailer in a wheelbarrow. A couple of months after knee surgery. Fair to say the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

27th Nov3.jpg

Yours too?? I bought one. CS 303T, as an emergency fill in for my Stihl 193T. I have not managed to get any use out of it. Fires right up in the morning, runs/cuts well (when it warms up which takes a quit a bit of cutting before it finally leans out). Shut it down to pile brush, pick it up and can't even get a "pop" out of it. Multiple trips back to dealer who can find no problem with it.

No, I have an SRM222 trimmer for the garden. No point using the big Shindaiwa for it as I try to keep the garden in somewhat of a decent shape.

I've bought it new because Echo and Shindaiwa here are always running promotions on their Made in China offerings and needed something light for the garden.
Besides the fact most of the steel on it is already rusting, I've had big issues with the standard trimmer heads these small cheap units come with. This year Yamabiko probably got tired of my constant nagging "It's still under warranty and the trimmer head exploded again" and they have been handing out Made in Japan Sugihara trimmer heads as warranty replacements. It's probably worth more than the rest of the trimmer itself.
It has also become harder and harder to start when cold, which I blame on the cheap crappy ZAMA carburetor suffering from even more premature aging than me.

I've decided to keep this thing until it blows up or stops working. Apart from carburetors (China copies are less than the genuine membrane kit), spare parts are prohibitively expensive, as is typical with Echo and Shindaiwa. The ignition module alone is over one third of what Yamabiko is selling these small trimmers for now. So I won't fix it and just buy something else.

The Del saw noodles Oak well. If I could file a chain it would really be impressive.

Have you tried to get it replaced with another one maybe just a lemon.

I'm about ready to try that. I'll give it one more shot cutting cookies tomorrow. If it does it again it goes back to the dealer.

They do. Lugging wood on a slope is horrible, as @nighthunter found. About this time last year I had a day where I took three cubes down to the trailer in a wheelbarrow. A couple of months after knee surgery. Fair to say the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

its probably the most horrid work to push or pull a full wheelbarrow up or down a hill especially in rough ground

I'm about ready to try that. I'll give it one more shot cutting cookies tomorrow. If it does it again it goes back to the dealer.
Have you pulled the limiters and retuned it. It seems a lot of the echo saws are tuned stupid lean out of the box especially the cheaper ones.

Any 1 want a load of beech firewood delivered
Delivery to America is around 5 thousand dollars
Delivery to Australia is around 7 thousand dollars
Delivery to the UK is 400 pounds
(PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PRICE LISTED ABOVE DOESN'T INCLUDE FIREWOOD OR TRAILER )15123887035351913103448.jpg 1512388730899-604230019.jpg

Yes, 303T top handle.
From what I've read most times it's the carb, they are solid performing saws. A bit low on power as many of the echo saws are, but opening the muffler and resetting the carb goes a long way on them as James was saying, they are pretty plugged up to meet the epa requirements.
I've been told on the 192t that there is a small screen that get's plugged on the carb and will act the same way.

I need the intake hose carb and air cleaner and a piston to complete my 51/55 mashup saw.
If you are interested I can hook you up once I complete my build. I am going to need another complete parts saw anyhow to finish my second build should I decide to undertake it.

Are these parts hard to find? I really like my 51. Maybe I should get another if I can find it
The only thing hard to find on these saws is the 55 closed port cylinder and the proper piston for the closed port cylinder. Otherwise they are readily available and fairly reasonable.

I have a complete saw, a saw missing recoil and clutch, a bare case with crank, an 18" bar, and 3 spare cylinders in various conditions. I think I have 55 bucks invested into the whole works.

Latest posts

Back