Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a point @Conquistador3. The top end pro saws run as strong stock as many of the other saws of similar cc do when ported. They of course can get more power from a builder too but many of them are already closer to the high edge of performance. The builder does not need to worry about emissions requirements so that of course is where the additional flow and timing advance can make some extra power.

Husqvarna is pricing the 572XP extremely aggresively. Unless Stihl either cuts prices at the source or finds a way to offer large discounts without causing open mutiny among their dealers, Husky has already won this round regardless of how their saw performs.

Allow me also to add one thing: after decades of being pretty simple affairs, chainsaws are finally benefiting from technical advances in engine design. Strato was the first step, then came Auto-Tune/M-Tronic, now ports are finally becoming truly sophisticated. People may ***** and moan all they want about lack of cubes, but if these two saws perform like the MS362C's bigger sisters, they can tackle pretty much every job I can think of bar Redwoods and similar botanical giants and milling. And still have something left.

I also remember the days when an engine tuner said he was done with motorcycle engines because "stock Japanese engines are as good as they get, you cannot make them any better without major engine work which costs serious money and which massively shortens their life spans". He was laughed at by the "that engine needs to be ported!" brigade but he's still in business and he was absolutely right.
I am sure there will be people throwing money at these new saws and then posting videos to prove everybody, starting from themselves, how much smarter they are than the people who spent countless hours designing those saws.
Engine builders will still have their niche, but the days of easy gains are coming to an end, if they aren't already.
Talking to a builder yesterday, he was laughing at some of the port work pictures he's seen on the 562, he said he removes very little when he ports them for the most gains.
I like my Japanese bikes :sweet:.
The builder does not need to worry about emissions requirements so that of course is where the additional flow and timing advance can make some extra power.
This :rolleyes:.

Talking to a builder yesterday, he was laughing at some of the port work pictures he's seen on the 562, he said he removes very little when he ports them for the most gains.
I like my Japanese bikes :sweet:.

This :rolleyes:.
I have heard that if you get to aggressive while grinding with the 550 or 562 they will be slower than stock.

I have heard that if you get to aggressive while grinding with the 550 or 562 they will be slower than stock.
That's what he was saying, they already have no torque as is, and I haven't ported saws but I understand this from the bikes/cars I've done(even though it is different).

i haven't used one yet... but what about the 576xp
576 is a solid saw but has never garnered the attention that the 550 and 562 have. Most guys go for the lighter 372 or more powerful 461 or 7900 in that class.

I wasn't too sure of the 576 until I saw one embarrass an 044 that I personally knew was a strong saw.

That's what he was saying, they already have no torque as is, and I haven't ported saws but I understand this from the bikes/cars I've done(even though it is different).
Lol I wouldn't say they have no torque but certainly are not the torque kings in their class. They are angry, not torquey if that makes sense.

View attachment 618894 The sky is falling. People have lost there minds and forgotten how to drive. I was stuck doing 10mph on 94 and its just wet. If your scared of the snow stay home your a danger to society on the roads. OK done ranting off to the saw shop.
what saw ya buying?:innocent:

what saw ya buying?:innocent:
Just picking up a 590 chain that found something it didnt like in those oak logs. IMG_20171215_173005.jpgShirks told Stihl to go pound sand said he's been having problems dealing with them for awhile now. The big glass sign might be for sale if your interested. Be a nice wall hanger piece.

Yesterday I saw a Canadian hauling a load lol.
View attachment 618875
He also was messing with the gas prices :laugh:.
View attachment 618876

Umm , that might be Canadian gas prices :(
But ,,, we haul more wood with less wheels even if it was a B-train lol

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home , I ran into a fella that lives between my house and where I scrounge most of my wood and he also knows my day job .
We chatted a bit , he asked how the shop and the wood was doing . I told him that shop was busy in full tire season and that I was quite well stocked on softwood but no spare hardwood , he asked if I'd sell a cord of soft , I said sure , a hundred $ delivered in 8' length , he paid me right there on the spot and asked if I could drop it off within the next three weeks :)

I like scrounged wood :)

Umm , that might be Canadian gas prices :(
But ,,, we haul more wood with less wheels even if it was a B-train lol

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home , I ran into a fella that lives between my house and where I scrounge most of my wood and he also knows my day job .
We chatted a bit , he asked how the shop and the wood was doing . I told him that shop was busy in full tire season and that I was quite well stocked on softwood but no spare hardwood , he asked if I'd sell a cord of soft , I said sure , a hundred $ delivered in 8' length , he paid me right there on the spot and asked if I could drop it off within the next three weeks :)

I like scrounged wood :)

I’ve been selling a lot of firewood ricks, lately. Not even advertising it. Selling it to the fellas at work. Word gets around fast, “who has the wood”. Lol [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been selling a lot of firewood ricks, lately. Not even advertising it. Selling it to the fellas at work. Word gets around fast, “who has the wood”. Lol [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe word of mouth is best , you're not the one looking to sell , they're the ones looking to buy .

Here's a derail but it could be about wood ...

I had one of my crazier customers stop by today , I asked her if she came over to wish me a happy birthday , she said "Oh , let me give you a birthday hug !" she came over , gave me a hug then took both my hands and made me rub her breasts , then she said "No , not here for your Bday , my husband sent me over for you to check my oil" .... That was crazy broad #1 today lol

Here's a derail but it could be about wood ...

I had one of my crazier customers stop by today , I asked her if she came over to wish me a happy birthday , she said "Oh , let me give you a birthday hug !" she came over , gave me a hug then took both my hands and made me rub her breasts , then she said "No , not here for your Bday , my husband sent me over for you to check my oil" .... That was crazy broad #1 today lol
*SPEACHLESS*

I'm a little pissed off right now!!!

My younger daughter told me that at her last visit to the nurse's office she was asked if her parents have any guns in the house. Who the eff are they do ask? Is the state putting it on the school to ask?? WTF!!!

My daughter is 8 and thank God she knows, she told me she told the nurse "yes my daddy has lots, he keeps them in his two safes downstairs". The nurse said "so they're safe then" my daughter said she nodded yes.

Am I taking this the wrong way? Is the nurse just "worried about the kids she overseas" or is this something bigger? The government prodding??? I've heard at physicals doctors ask.... Man I'm worked up!!!

It must be something the American Medical Association is pressing. When our first kid went in for his 1 year check up our pediatrician asked us that same question. Now my wife's in law enforcement and she told the doc she had her 9mm service weapon in her purse he about sh@@ him self. I asked him what he carried and he got real quiet about that from then on..........

Now I know there are some stupid people out there that don't keep their weapons safe from children or teach their kids and that's a real problem. My kids have been trained from a young age how to handle and respect guns and other dangerous tool. I'm not so sure all kids are.............

And yes the govt' is prodding.........

i haven't used one yet... but what about the 576xp

576 is a solid saw but has never garnered the attention that the 550 and 562 have. Most guys go for the lighter 372 or more powerful 461 or 7900 in that class.

I wasn't too sure of the 576 until I saw one embarrass an 044 that I personally knew was a strong saw.

I owned a 576. My first "real" saw. And a REAL saw it is. It sounded like a jet engine with a chain on it. Realistically it would have been enough saw for anything I cut, but I got a taste of power, and I figured if I'm gonna be slingin a big saw I might as well have a BIG saw. So I got a 395. Don't hesitate to get a 576. I regret selling it, but with the 395 I don't know if it would have been justified to keep it. That saw needed to be owned by somebody that was gonna let it go nuts on some trees so I set it free. :D

Back