Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the scrounge pile today. Took the 445, 550 as a backup and the 395 just in case I got greedy. :D The 550/395 never made it out of the truck and never refeuled the 445. It cut everything I planned on getting today on one tank. It had the BFC on it and it cut fine for 1/2 tank. Then started doing the same wierd stuff it does on the 550. Throwing dust/small chips and the top of the chain would lift off the bar in the cut. In the middle of the cut it wouldnt pull. Instead it would push the saw out like the bar was pinched but it wasnt. I need a better file guide and a bunch more chain.
Go to your dealer and ask them for a quick tutorial, it may help, and they may make a sale.
You basically need to look at a factory chain and make the older one like that.
Post some pictures of that chain, and we'll have it throwing chips in no time:chainsaw:.
Here's a semi chisel 325x18 chain on a 2145(345 husky) with a ported AM cylinder cutting a very hard chunk of ash. What's funny is it was previously a 16" chain and it has a few odd cutters on it from a safety chain. Don't ask what happened because I couldn't tell you how it got that way, but when it's sharp it's a fun little saw for cutting dirty wood and the chain holds an edge for quite a while.

Oh yea...as I was leaving the pile yesterday there was an excavation crew in the back 40 starting to dig a retention pond for the project. They park all the equipment at the site entrance and I had to drive right through their refeuling party to get out. They were feuling dozers and graders then parking them then heading out for the night. Since I had to drive past them I jumped out of the truck and went to see what kind of crew I was dealing with. Good, old fashioned, blue collar, dirty, country folk. My kind of people! I asked what kind of trouble it would be to have somebody blow the pile apart with a dozer so I could get to the wood and the guy said..."We would do it tonight but it's getting dark and I still have an hour drive home"..(!!!!!) They said they were GLAD somebody is taking the wood because if somebody doesn't they said they had to bury it in the pond. *GASP*!!!! So I guess the next chance they get they are going to spread the pile out some so I can get to it. :D

I'm using Oregon 20LPX chain on the 16" bars. Is that the stuff I should be using? And if I wanted to buy 10 chains where are you guys getting it? I can only get "green" chain at Lowes/HD. Is it cheaper to buy bulk online?
I run Carlton because its what my dealer keeps on a roll. There's an Oregon on the 24 on the Del saw that seems to cut just fine and hold an edge well. The 590 calls for LPX and it cut fine with it.IMG_20180206_073617.jpg

The weather report says it will be a little cloudy here today. That cloudy stuff has been falling pretty well, everything is white!
Good morning Mike :drinkingcoffee:.
It's a 50/50 chance every day it will be cloudy here, many days it's 100% overcast, Lake Michigan is the reason. I do like that the lake buffers the low temps though, it's anywhere from 5-20 degrees warmer on this side of the lake :happybanana:(it's 8 in Milwaukee, Madison is 1, it's 16 here :)) . We got another inch of snow last night, right after I cleaned up 7" :happy:, I like snow :yes:.
Wait am I in the right thread lol.
Hope you all have a great day.

I'm using Oregon 20LPX chain on the 16" bars. Is that the stuff I should be using? And if I wanted to buy 10 chains where are you guys getting it? I can only get "green" chain at Lowes/HD. Is it cheaper to buy bulk online?
That chain will be fine, the chain can make a good bit of difference in the cut speed, if the chain on my saw in the video was full chisel it would have cut a good bit faster, but it would also dull quicker I use it in dirty wood because it doesn't dull.
@cantoo gets his chains and bars through his son at dealer or close to dealer cost(if I'm not mistaken), but guys will buy bulk chain from baileys online and many other places online. I still think if you go up to your local dealer there should be someone there who can help. That or just start a thread asking if there is another member in your area. Also get us some pictures(it does take some practice to get good pictures) and we can walk you through what's needed.
And as Mike said if you still don't get it feel free to send a few chains to me, I'd be happy to help you out.
Here's a quick comparison of my ported 361 with a sharp chain vs a dull chain.
I got a hard time because my chain wasn't sharp (I just needed to run some saws) so I had to make another video the next day lol.

Sharpening chain is like sharpening a knife. Some people get it, others just don't. If you don't, find a good shop and keep extras on hand.

I am a legend (in my own mind anyway) at sharpening saw chain (round, not square). I couldn't sharpen a knife to save my life...irritates the hello out of me too.

And you should have :)
I know, I just needed to run a few saws, and that was one of them, at least no one can say I let them sit to long :rock:.
Hope all is well out your way.
Still wanting to see that 365 in action, and now your chain sharpening skills at work :D.

Found a guy down your way that can help tech you to sharpen.
If he can make this thing cut, he should be able to help you out:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 12.22.14 PM.png

Noticed this tree (cherry?) dead/dying not too far behind the wood burner so I figured I would take it down. Top of it was dust inside and there might of been a squirrel that may or may not have been harmed by the sounds of things when the tree hit the ground.....

167F74B2-B870-4974-88AC-B2F7A70DE7B7.jpeg 74804E0D-59A0-4208-907F-9F9C6B9AABB3.jpeg 6D4A490E-0811-433B-9407-6D983CF5FAE6.jpeg

Latest posts

Back