Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a little today with the coming snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain. barely frozen enough to get in. found some red oak tops i missed last time i was in this part of the woods. bugged me so i HAD to go get it.
View attachment 630974
You got to let me get in on some of that scrounging. I'm down to splitting and stacking everything here. The saws are starting to get feeling left out :(.

sharpening a chain or a knife or ax. the secret is .patience. patience patience. then after you get it it is very easy.just my 2 cents.remember we all had to learn. lord please give me patience and i want it right now amen.
I am a legend (in my own mind anyway) at sharpening saw chain (round, not square). I couldn't sharpen a knife to save my life...irritates the hello out of me too.

You got to let me get in on some of that scrounging. I'm down to splitting and stacking everything here. The saws are starting to get feeling left out :(.
only took about 1/2 hour to dig that out and cut it up. guess this slop we're getting ain't goona be good for gettin to the woods. i'll let ya know.

View attachment 630890 grabbed this at work today
That pic reminds me of a incident that happen at work years ago. I was operating a tie crane laying out ties to be installed in the track. It was a old rail line and we where installing new and old relay ties. I come around a curve and see all kinds of state equipment and they where loading my relay ties on dump trucks. There was also a ton truck with a load of ties on a gooseneck trailer. They had loaded the trailer so heavy that when they tried to pull it, it ripped the bed off the truck. I get off my tie crane and walk over to where they where at and asked what they where doing with my ties. On guy said, his boss told them to move them out of sight of the highway. Well, I knew that was a bunch of crap, but I told them they had to put the ties back where I could reach them with my crane because we would be installing them under the track later that day. Nope, he said, his boss told him to get them out of site of the highway and thats what he was going to do. OK I said and I went to a radio and called my bossman. He drove up and the guy tried to tell him the same story. That story wasnt going to work at all, my boss calls the police and the State mans boss. In a few minutes, the place was crawling with bigwigs and the Law. The state guy was using state equipment and was stealing the ties. The flatbed was a borrowed truck and when the owner showed up, the law had to restrain him to keep the guy from putting a asswhooping on the thief. They slapped the cuffs on the state worker and the the state bossman put the other state workers to moving my ties back to where I could reach them. They had hauled a few dump loads somewhere and they had to take their equipment and reload the ties and haul them back.

While writing this, I got a call from my nephew that had his tractor stolen Sat nite. They found the tractor on the side of the road out of fuel and the NC State Patrol had the thief in the back of his car. Thief was a dope head that got tired of walking and stole the tractor to get home. He must of been joy riding when it ran out of fuel and the SP drove up on him. Nephew is hauling the tractor home as I type. Looks like no damage to tractor was done.

Freaking Meth Heads....

#4 buckshot kept handy at all times. We got one addict on my street, when I was told what he was, I went way out of my way to make sure he thought I was the craziest person he ever laid eyes on.

He live two houses up the street on the opposite side, sad e thing is he spends half the time locked up, his mom takes care of his kids(2), and he once was a decent mechanic. Last time he got pinched was a guy paid him to swap a motor. He used the money for the used motor for dope, when he started coming down, he scrapped the car for cash to get more dope. Poor kids..... his son is in the same grade as my little daughter, good kid for where he comes from. I told the teacher at open house that if he needed school supplies to send a note home with Cailey. His kids are the sweetest things, but that guy.....

just a little today with the coming snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain. barely frozen enough to get in. found some red oak tops i missed last time i was in this part of the woods. bugged me so i HAD to go get it.
View attachment 630974

I may have missed it, but what New Holland is that?

Never mind, i see your signature. Doh!

Been snowing on and off for a few days here. My pile is covered but my neighbor gave me a chuckle when I drive by him running the saw in the log pile. Could hardly see for the snow. I guess he either needed the wood or his wife had a honey-do list for him. Got about 18 inches of snow since Friday so I have snowmobile on the brain. Headed way up north on Thursday for a sled trip with the guys. Wife is making sure I split her up lots of kindling before I go.

Went to the pile today with one saw and one chain. Of all the days I didn't take everything I own. I showed up and it was a full blown earth moving party. Whole crew of people. Excavators, dozers, pans, pit trucks, the whole deal. The guy I talked to yesterday had spread the pile out and I had free pickins to everything. No dragging stuff out with a chain. And all I had was a 550 with one. Sharp. Chain. And now I dont have any sharp 16" chains. Because every log was covered with frozen mud. But the good news is I filled the whole truckbed. And got to cut real wood. Red oak, white oak and thorn something that was hard and heavy. Worth the trip. I need chains and I need them quick. Supposed to get crappy over night so I might give my back a break and chill at home tomorow after work and file some chains. Backwards.

While writing this, I got a call from my nephew that had his tractor stolen Sat nite. They found the tractor on the side of the road out of fuel and the NC State Patrol had the thief in the back of his car. Thief was a dope head that got tired of walking and stole the tractor to get home. He must of been joy riding when it ran out of fuel and the SP drove up on him. Nephew is hauling the tractor home as I type. Looks like no damage to tractor was done.
Glad they got the tractor back. To bad the guys not gonna make it to get his wife a beer :lol:.

Well FML. Wheel bearing went out on my vehicle today. Luckily I was able to sneak it over to a good service station. There goes some saved cash.

When I was a full time mechanic, one of my favorite things was doing GM wheel bearings, right behind a simple brake pad job. Of course, some manufacturers have made both of those a pain in the ass.

I know this is the place where we fell, cut up and burn trees but does anyone know a forum where the opposite happens, meaning people talk about nurseries and planting?

Long story short, I am rearranging the garden and while I have a highly trusted supplier of perennials and shrubs, I will need some trees as well. Nursery prices around here are horrifying and to make matters worse all trees I've seen have clear ballroot issues (sat too long in the container) so I've decided to "grow" my own. I've found a forestry nursery which will gladly supply me as many 2-5 years old saplings as I want for spare change and several sources of cheap nursery containers. I can make my own potting compost and trees can grow until they are ready to plant near the vegetable garden so I am all set there.

What I need is some help in choosing trees: I am well conversant about bushes and perennials but I may need some help in choosing the tall woody things as I have a tendency of chopping them up and burning them instead of growing them.

I know this is the place where we fell, cut up and burn trees but does anyone know a forum where the opposite happens, meaning people talk about nurseries and planting?

Long story short, I am rearranging the garden and while I have a highly trusted supplier of perennials and shrubs, I will need some trees as well. Nursery prices around here are horrifying and to make matters worse all trees I've seen have clear ballroot issues (sat too long in the container) so I've decided to "grow" my own. I've found a forestry nursery which will gladly supply me as many 2-5 years old saplings as I want for spare change and several sources of cheap nursery containers. I can make my own potting compost and trees can grow until they are ready to plant near the vegetable garden so I am all set there.

What I need is some help in choosing trees: I am well conversant about bushes and perennials but I may need some help in choosing the tall woody things as I have a tendency of chopping them up and burning them instead of growing them.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/nursery.4/

Back