Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent posted in this thread in a long while so figured I'd share my dumb moment with you guys. Weather is warm today and jumped on the oportunity to split my rounds. Some I had to noodle in half because they were just too heavy and large for me to get up on the splitter even with the boards i use. Any how I split away and say "hey let me go get my logrite hookaroon and stop bending over to pick up the larger splits. So getting towards the end....tired and I take a half ass stupid wack at one near me and MISS and get the inside of me right foot WOW THAT HURT!!!!. thankfully I was wearing some nice thick boots but still managed to puncture right through it all and hit the bone right there.
87106e175badb631e0fa9b41bb904fd8.jpg
d52c2e76efa4004fdc46e69bee62f391.jpg
e448f16dc241e0ad55ce4625475fbb9c.jpg
7c5fef6158fcd715eebde0ffbe25a32e.jpg

I'm betting first metatarsal with a place bet on navicular.

I'm doin' good,Steve, but you guy's are killing me with all these bare ground pic's! The last time I saw dirt was back in November. Pretty tough cuttin' in the woods this winter.
View attachment 634549
It was 79 Murkan here yesterday. Two nights in a row with all the windows in the house open all night. 67 Murkan on the way to work this morning.Unbelievable.

That's good. I was glad I got them out of the house before they ended up running around everywhere.
Yesterday I found a nest under the hood of my suburban :rare2:. Let stuff sit for a minute and somethings gonna make it home.
They love my lawnmower. I now use the lawnmower as a mousetrap.

I had to look up what that all meant lol. It actually got me on the bone under that, the one on the inside of the foot in the middle. I'm mad at myself for swinging at a piece somewhat close to me to begin with.

Ran about three tanks of fuel through the MS211 at the childrens camp today (see dedicated thread in the Firewood forum). Bucked up a bunch of maple, elm, birch, and aspen that I had previously cut. Ended up rocking the one brand new chain and the others had been kinda sorta sharpened but left something to be desired. I really need to take the plunge and get a file and joint to carry with me.

went bact today for the 4th load of free pine wood at the barrows castle site. the wood is so spread out under the snow it's really hard to tell exactly how much is there... started at 12 noon and through the last block in at 1:30 ... most of the free stuff under the snow cover is loaded with sugar sand so will need to wait till the sun burns off the snow and hopefully some sand!

Attachments

• hqdefault[1].jpg
    hqdefault[1].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 22
  • hqdefault[1].jpg
    hqdefault[1].jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 22
Mid grade firewood. Very similar to Elm (it's in the same family) and Silver Maple. If you've got it, it heats a lot better than burning air.
Ah yes. Spruce is way better than snowballs. I forgot. We have so much hardwood here I have started to become a wood snob. I need to stop it. Cut the schitt and throw it in the truck already.

went bact today for the 4th load of free pine wood at the barrows castle site. the wood is so spread out under the snow it's really hard to tell exactly how much is there... started at 12 noon and through the last block in at 1:30 ... most of the free stuff under the snow cover is loaded with sugar sand so will need to wait till the sun burns off the snow and hopefully some sand!
Haven't been on this thread much so I don't remember a picture of the truck. I love the truck. A real work truck.

Haven't been on this thread much so I don't remember a picture of the truck. I love the truck. A real work truck.
thanks!! oldmaple, she appreciates it! only had it for a short 5 years or so and she has hauled a few wheel barrows of firewood...not many just a few and still ready to be used hard .... used hard when ever she's not out playing in the show, scouting for deer, bear or fishing some where up north around the Canadian boarder. some times when I leave the key in her she runs off with out me looking/working on her own. still to young to be going on her own with out me at 28.

Hi everyone, I’m really enjoying this thread! I’ve been scrounging for wood for 3 winters now, and I probably have enough for next winter as well. I have a Taylor outdoor furnace that heats my house and shop.

I do have 8 acres of woods, but most of my firewood has come from wherever and whoever is willing to give it up. I’m learning a lot of tricks from this thread and hopefully I’ll amass even more wood. With an outdoor stove I’ve been willing to burn a lot of wood that others would turn away from. I haven’t seen any problems from this as of yet.

My tax returns last year bough me a Husqvarna 562xp running a 24inch bar and skip tooth. I’m able to cut up bigger wood much faster with this set up. I’ve got a 4 leader maple lined up just a mile from my house. The thing is huge and will provide a lot of heat.

Hi everyone, I’m really enjoying this thread! I’ve been scrounging for wood for 3 winters now, and I probably have enough for next winter as well. I have a Taylor outdoor furnace that heats my house and shop.

I do have 8 acres of woods, but most of my firewood has come from wherever and whoever is willing to give it up. I’m learning a lot of tricks from this thread and hopefully I’ll amass even more wood. With an outdoor stove I’ve been willing to burn a lot of wood that others would turn away from. I haven’t seen any problems from this as of yet.

My tax returns last year bough me a Husqvarna 562xp running a 24inch bar and skip tooth. I’m able to cut up bigger wood much faster with this set up. I’ve got a 4 leader maple lined up just a mile from my house. The thing is huge and will provide a lot of heat.
welcome to AS and the scrounging thread. we do get a little sidetracked here once in a while :rolleyes: but a good bunch of scroungy scroungers with lots of tips.

You know your a real scrounger when you go to a bar with your wife and low and behold they are clearing the property line and there some nice sticks laying there. I was going to throw them in my bed of my pickup until I noticed the viper eyes of my wife looking at me like I really lost my mind lol. I'm gonna go back with out her hahaha

Back