Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice Duetz ? Rob. and a nice pile of wood.:rock2:
Thanks Steve, I really like my little Deutz,

standard.jpg

It's SUPER fuel efficient and totally reliable...

SR

Well, I'll admit it. I'm now a bit past my prime. But today I managed to give two ladies a good load of hard wood. For free! Not massive loads for sure, gotta save up a bit for Cowgirl. Still, I'm sure it's appreciated.

First up, I have a client who is going through an unpleasant divorce. The last time a court date came up for decisions to be made on the settlement, estranged husband doesn't show up to court. The case then gets put to the back of the cue and the costs for her are $4000! Four grand! Anyway, she's out of wood and the reverse cycle is out of action so in the cold snap of the last few days she and her two nearly adult children got cold. She would refuse if I offered her wood so I just took a load around while she was at work. One of her sons was at home sick and he helped me unload. Nice dry peppermint. It was a ridge tree and a bit harder and denser than usual, then had two summers in the shed facing the sun. Should be good to go. Here it was in Sept 2016.

Ridge 24th Sep 16.jpg

And here is some of it today.

27th Mar 4.jpg

After dropping that off, I went to cut up some branches off a downed tree next to the current residence of the Lady Farmer. The branches are on the road side of the fence. I had an ulterior motive in that I wanted to test out Cowgirl's monkey saw. It had had a hiccup when I got it where the throttle thingmajig was knocked loose in transit and got stuck under the choke doohickey. My mate put it back together for me since I don't know what I'm doing inside saws. These branches have been down for a while and it was a bit of a mess.

27th Mar 1.jpg

27th Mar 3.jpg

So I ran the monkey saw for the first time and it purred along sweetly. Light as and good power for a micro saw. A few more tanks through it and it'll be really good.

27th Mar 6.jpg

Then without warning, the trigger goes dead. Nothing. Throttle thingmajig has come loose again. Dammit. Luckily, I brought the 460 workhorse along for the ride.

27th Mar 2.jpg

It never lets me down and made short work of this stuff. I could certainly feel the weight after using the monkey saw though. I didn't cut a full load since I was about out of time but it's better than nothing. I'm sure the Lady Farmer will enjoy my wood nonetheless. Not sure about the species, some sort of eucalypt. Should go ok.

27th Mar 7.jpg

:)

Looks like you have a fair bit to do. That splitter will be just about run in by the time you're done.
I'm not splitting any more till burn season is totally done. I need my wagon and wheelbarrow to move/store dry wood but I need them to move fresh split stuff also. So I guess it's still harvest season for a couple more weeks. TO THE SAWZ!!

I'm not splitting any more till burn season is totally done. I need my wagon and wheelbarrow to move/store dry wood but I need them to move fresh split stuff also. So I guess it's still harvest season for a couple more weeks. TO THE SAWZ!!
I know the feeling, although for me it's due to the lawn being a swamp. It's started to dry rapidly though whenever we get a few days without rain, the trees are waking up and starting to suck up the water. In the mean time it's been collection, and stack temporarily on the patio.

Well, it was only me doing the work and we had a Neighborhood progressive dinner in the evening so I couldn't tire myself out too much. There was another log that was around 20" at the base tapering to 14" lying there. I could have wrapped a chain around it and used my truck to pull it on top of some old telephone polls lying there and start cutting rounds. I'll know better next time.;)

Back