Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need more chainsaw files and I waded through the thread
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/best-value-in-chainsaw-files.345302/page-7
I can't find a useful source for Save Edge files. The web site doesn't say much. Ideas?
I found the Woodland Pro files from Bailey's are a pretty good deal. I combined them with a few Woodland Pro (Carlton) chains and then the shipping isn't too bad. My Stihl dealer has Stihl files which are pretty good but they're $6 a piece.

So the solar saga Continues. (Please let me know if this bores you guys. Figured it's interesting and I'm doing a ton of leg work to find a good deal and a decent company, but if no one gives a rip ill stop talking about it :) )

Had company number 2 over last night. Set up is a bit different then the first guy, but he said they should be able to get 100% coverage with panels on the roof and not under the trees. I did like his panel system better as it's ran in parallel and not series. So if one panel goes out it doesn't affect the rest of the panels. (Didn't even think of this with the first company, which runs their panels in series, so if the last panel goes out the whole system is down till it gets fixed)
We did touch on the battery back up, (my wife really wants this. I could go either way) and basically said they rarely do them because of the upfront cost ($10k minimum) and the customer rarely benefits as the panels keep making power independent of the grid, and typically they have provisions for a generator to be ran in overnight or storm conditions where the panels don't make power. So he's doing his quote both ways, with a few different battery options. (Including the generac set up that I liked) company 1 does not offer their system without the battery back up.
This guy was very easy to talk to and knew his stuff and recognized I have been doing my homework. Unfortunately we had such a good discussion about what we wanted and expected that it got late and we had to tend the kids. Seems his design team was having some technical issues with vents that Google earth shows that are no longer there since the roof was done this spring and a proper ridge vent was installed. So he's stopping off this evening with the design proposal and quotes for battery back up with his system, the generac system and without.
One good thing is they guarantee that your current electric bill will be 100% offset by the solar system. Which is what I wanted. Ditch the electric bill and just make the $200.00 a month payment on the solar system.
I have several quotes from companies that use Google earth now to compare, along with the first guys quote. So far the first guy is a lot more expensive. But waiting to see what company #2 quote is, and have a final guy coming out next Thursday for a quote that's a local.

All my equipment gets 91 non oxy with startron in every can. I cleaned carbs for 10 years as a job and don't want to do it again if I don't have to. If it is going to be a long term sit I will mix av gas or 110 with non oxy and add startron. Just filled a couple 6 gallon cans and it was $3.89 a gallon for 91 on oxy. Well worth it.

Just want to say I watched a utube video of the guy thats always wearing those fake billy bob teeth. Cant think of his name, but a few here probably know who I am talking about. Any ways, he was doing a long term comparison of different fuel additives in small engines. forget how many engines he tested, but they where all new engines. The test took place over several months and included non-ethanol, 10% ethanol and That other junk I think is E85?. His results after about a year and a half of testing was the non-ethanol and the stabil where the only engines left running. Startron and all those other additives failed and turned to varnish in the carb bowls. I have used stabil for years in my old boat. Boat sat unused for over a year before I sold it and it cranked right up. I never used anything but the 87octane ethanol and staybil.

I always try to use the highest octane fuel I can find for chainsaws. The only time I’ll mix anything other than that is if it’s for the boat or if it’s just for the string trimmer. I agree, cleaning carbs sucks!

I drain everything and let it run dry if it’s going to sit more than a couple of months.

Just want to say I watched a utube video of the guy thats always wearing those fake billy bob teeth. Cant think of his name, but a few here probably know who I am talking about. Any ways, he was doing a long term comparison of different fuel additives in small engines. forget how many engines he tested, but they where all new engines. The test took place over several months and included non-ethanol, 10% ethanol and That other junk I think is E85?. His results after about a year and a half of testing was the non-ethanol and the stabil where the only engines left running. Startron and all those other additives failed and turned to varnish in the carb bowls. I have used stabil for years in my old boat. Boat sat unused for over a year before I sold it and it cranked right up. I never used anything but the 87octane ethanol and staybil.
One of the interesting things that happened every spring was the small engine update classes. Every little engine mfg reccomended some sort of fuel conditioner. Briggs had their own packaged, when I asked who made it, the instructor told us (probably close to 100 dealers/mechanics at that class) that before it was rebranded they exclusively used stabil, and he always used the marine version at double dose for storage. That was something like 12 years ago now, been religious with it and have had nearly no carb related issues since. Unscientific method of course ;)
Thankfully we have access to 87 and 91 non corn juice here. I usually use 87 in everything, except motorcycle. Had things sit 4-5 months, no issues so far.
In other news…View attachment 933860went with lodge pole logs this time, rides better and like it better than red fir anywayView attachment 933859
Thought that pretty pickup was a power stroke?

Briggs had their own packaged, when I asked who made it, the instructor told us (probably close to 100 dealers/mechanics at that class) that before it was rebranded they exclusively used stabil

Interesting! I've always had really good results from Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit. It claims to stabilise fuel for up to three years.

Interesting! I've always had really good results from Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit. It claims to stabilise fuel for up to three years.
Can't comment on storage that long, but last year I dug out a little 2t single stage snow blower that I filed up the year before and never used. Gas smelled ok in the tank, looked ok. Fired up on the second pull. Kinda surprised, but not at the same time. Stuff works.

One of the interesting things that happened every spring was the small engine update classes. Every little engine mfg reccomended some sort of fuel conditioner. Briggs had their own packaged, when I asked who made it, the instructor told us (probably close to 100 dealers/mechanics at that class) that before it was rebranded they exclusively used stabil, and he always used the marine version at double dose for storage. That was something like 12 years ago now, been religious with it and have had nearly no carb related issues since. Unscientific method of course ;)

Thought that pretty pickup was a power stroke?
Guess I should have said everything but the pickup, lol. Been getting dsl from the boss, bulk fuel he gets is from Canada, the #2 is supposed to be good to -20 seems to run better and better mpg than local stuff. Oh and it stays good for years ;)

I have been getting 89 octane no etoh gasoline from the Southern States Coop store. 89 octane is what both Echo and Stihl call for and no alky makes it better. Not being a logger I only mix one gallon at a time with Schaeffer 9000 mix oil. All my ope gas is treated with Schaeffer Neutra treatment. Been doing the Neutra thing for years, never a problem with corn gas before I went with non ethanol fuel. Other than the stink of the corn gas... 100LL avgas smelled best of all from the Onan P216 in the Wheel Horse.

A "minor" accident yesterday. Standing on my tailgate to cut a long, heavy branch around 12-15" diameter. Almost through when it finally went. I yanked my 362 right out of my hand. Branch fell the 8' to the ground with saw right behind it. I took a heavy hit on the nose of the bar and then flopped over on its back. Broke top off of chain brake handle and broke the wrap handle. 50 mile drive today to a good dealer, 'we'll let your know when the parts are in, next week sometime". I expected that.

Not a biggee but I'm going to have to pull the MS441 shelf queen down and use it to finish that tree. Not nice to toss around a441 to cut stuff in the 12" range. Ever get the top off, then it will be fodder for the 441 and at least a 24" bar. It took a 32" bar to fall it.

Yesterday was first day out with the 441. I had forgotten what a hungry beast that thing is for wood. Cuts so fast it takes 2 men and a boy to keep up. I was using a 20" bar and got the tree down to the main stem pluss the crown where the branches radiated out. I'll hit that with the 441/24" tomorrow and then switch back to a 20" for aobut 20' of around 2' rounds. Probably be back to a 24" to finish the log pluss the 32" to cut the ugly stump down look good. It's a real mess as it split half way down the stem with multiple little stems that came off it.

This a "clean up" project for an absentee landlord. Hasn't been touched in over 100 years - looks like a jungle once one gets inside all the edge brush. Just something to keep me occupied and sorta in shape for a few more years.

Sounds good turnkey.

I just agreed a deal on the pile of 038 bits I've not had time to get to in err. 3 years?? Not getting back what I spent but happy with the deal and good to get the shelf space back! I just don't have the time. If I do want to do wood based tinkering I can hang one of the 6 or more axe heads I've collected! So, back to just 2 saws but both new/nearly new condition and a nice pair. No creamsicles either! Not they I have anything against them

Never had a problem with stabil. Just always used the marine and doubled the dose. My favorite was the "but I put seafoam in it before I put it away". Made lots of money off people using seafoam as a stabilizer.

I've had better results with startron so that is what I stick with. To each their own I say. Fuel talk is like oil talk. LOL!

Never had a problem with stabil. Just always used the marine and doubled the dose. My favorite was the "but I put seafoam in it before I put it away". Made lots of money off people using seafoam as a stabilizer.

I've had better results with startron so that is what I stick with. To each their own I say. Fuel talk is like oil talk. LOL!
I always noticed those guys that swear by Seafoam are the same guys that can't plunge a toilet without help.

Latest posts

Back