Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a Makita 36v powerhead which includes a pole saw and extension. This thing is great for what I need. Around the yard pruning limbs etc.
I even use it to cut up big limbs into firewood from a standing position!
The battery lasts ages and the bonus is it has attachments for hedge trimmers, string trimmers and even a blower.

Sounds interesting! What is the reach on the pole saw?

Saturday was a Very Cherry day. This is what's left of the three smaller trees my neighbor is having taken down, the two biggest are still left.
AQIxfd3.jpg

2XN0VlR.jpg

gh5eyqj.jpg

Then as a warm up for Saturday, on Friday my climber gave me a hand working on 3 trees in WV for another friend of mine. I met Rodney here on the Employment Forum. He was just getting started with his new company. Now he's doing well, but still gives me a hand if I need it. He lives in Southern MD, I'm in Western MD, and the job was in WV. 4 hour trip each way. He took down a big dead Ash that was close enough it could hit my friends 150 year old farm house if it fell, elevated a big maple from over the farm house, then went to my friends neighbors and topped about 30' out of a big Spruce between his current house and his family's old 2 story log house. Left my house at 6:30 AM, stopped for breakfast at my favorite Family Diner, got on the job around 10:30. Finished everything and ate lunch about 3, was back to my house by 7:15. Rodney still had an hour and a half drive home. I only got pics of the Ash, should have got some of the Spruce, it was pretty cool. Best part of the job was every thing stayed where it landed, no clean up.
9Qw4kOi.jpg

56G61rp.jpg
Looks like just getting to the base of that tree is half the battle.

I've been doing some reverse firewood scrounging the last week, sold the whole split pile, the back half which was pure black locust for my woodshed for the 2024-25 season :oops:. Then to get my last seasoned cord I only had 2/3 cord left in the split pile so I pulled a 1/3 cord out of the woodshed for next yrs season:crazy2:. An I still haven't talked to the only person I've committed to suppling, and older widow. If she needs wood I still have 3 cord in the woodshed for next season I'll load up for here :). I'm fine with that since I have the two nice piles of black locust I cut this spring I can cut/split and reload it right back up. That would also help me out by giving a bit more room to grade the drive. Now that the split pile is gone I can take down the trees in that area, that will help so I can do some driveway grading right there(for the two by the drive). I also cut a half cord of the black locust I cut this spring and split/delivered it, need to do another half cord today yet.
This is 4 and 2/3 cord, it's about a 1/3 of what I started out with this spring(last pic).
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 9.33.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-07 at 9.45.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 9.44.54 PM.png

I've been doing some reverse firewood scrounging the last week, sold the whole split pile, the back half which was pure black locust for my woodshed for the 2024-25 season :oops:. Then to get my last seasoned cord I only had 2/3 cord left in the split pile so I pulled a 1/3 cord out of the woodshed for next yrs season:crazy2:. An I still haven't talked to the only person I've committed to suppling, and older widow. If she needs wood I still have 3 cord in the woodshed for next season I'll load up for here :). I'm fine with that since I have the two nice piles of black locust I cut this spring I can cut/split and reload it right back up. That would also help me out by giving a bit more room to grade the drive. Now that the split pile is gone I can take down the trees in that area, that will help so I can do some driveway grading right there(for the two by the drive). I also cut a half cord of the black locust I cut this spring and split/delivered it, need to do another half cord today yet.
This is 4 and 2/3 cord, it's about a 1/3 of what I started out with this spring(last pic).
View attachment 940119View attachment 940120
View attachment 940121
Pile started off with red oak and dead ash, then finished up with a mix of oak ash maple popple birch. Pile is 5 rows deep 5' high and about 12' long. Chipper1 has me beat though :dizzy:

Attachments

• 20210715_163207.jpg
    20210715_163207.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210506_122508.jpg
    20210506_122508.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Nice wood piles/stacks gents.

My third bay (24-25's wood) is almost full. Stacked a good load of ash in there yesterday, which finished off the third stack and started the 4th (each bay holds 4 stacks at approx. .65-.75 cord each).

Hope to have it full by this weekend, then I have two buddies that need wood.

Pile started off with red oak and dead ash, then finished up with a mix of oak ash maple popple birch. Pile is 5 rows deep 5' high and about 12' long. Chipper1 has me beat though :dizzy:
that's one of the nice things about this thread. There is a huge mix here from people selling it as a serious business, those selling as a fair bit of cash on top of their main business, those selling a few cords to pay for the saws/spitter etc they need themselves, those that don't sell (yet haha!) all the way down to guys doing a couple of cords or less. we share ideas and tips and have a laugh though, I've learnt loads and do decent job of putting up firewood these days.....Joined about 7 years ago when i got my 1st stove and it was really hard work to put up not quite 2 cord...i couldn't believe the amounts some people here used at first. Now ive 2 stoves, heat solely with wood, supply mum too although she only burns for ambiance/back up, and I put up 5 cord a year and have 2 years wood CSS. All done with 2 saws and a variety of axes (AAD struck...I blame steve, dan, joe and clarence for that mainly :D )

that's one of the nice things about this thread. There is a huge mix here from people selling it as a serious business, those selling as a fair bit of cash on top of their main business, those selling a few cords to pay for the saws/spitter etc they need themselves, those that don't sell (yet haha!) all the way down to guys doing a couple of cords or less. we share ideas and tips and have a laugh though, I've learnt loads and do decent job of putting up firewood these days.....Joined about 7 years ago when i got my 1st stove and it was really hard work to put up not quite 2 cord...i couldn't believe the amounts some people here used at first. Now ive 2 stoves, heat solely with wood, supply mum too although she only burns for ambiance/back up, and I put up 5 cord a year and have 2 years wood CSS. All done with 2 saws and a variety of axes (AAD struck...I blame steve, dan, joe and clarence for that mainly :D )
That's funny! And way to go London neil!!! Half the time I'm like firewood is alot of work the other half I'm like hell yea this is alot of fun:rock:

Hunted late this afternoon from my favorite local place. I use a climbing tree stand, and have taken deer from the same tree 4 of the last 5 years, always right before dark, including a 7 pt with the Cross Bow in 2019, a 4 point with the Cross Bow in 2017 and an 8 pt with the MZ in 2016.

But alas, the tree is just getting too fat to climb safely, I'll have to relocate to a suitable tree that is as close as possible. I did go up and down it, but it was just a little sketchy!

I did see 3 deer, and it was right as it was getting dark, saw them moving slowly and could not even make out what they were, but likely does.

Well, I was glad I at least saw something, beats not seeing anything, and means the EHD did not take them all!

Plan to be up at the Cabin Wed, Thurs this week.

Hunted late this afternoon from my favorite local place. I use a climbing tree stand, and have taken deer from the same tree 4 of the last 5 years, always right before dark, including a 7 pt with the Cross Bow in 2019, a 4 point with the Cross Bow in 2017 and an 8 pt with the MZ in 2016.

But alas, the tree is just getting too fat to climb safely, I'll have to relocate to a suitable tree that is as close as possible. I did go up and down it, but it was just a little sketchy!

I did see 3 deer, and it was right as it was getting dark, saw them moving slowly and could not even make out what they were, but likely does.

Well, I was glad I at least saw something, beats not seeing anything, and means the EHD did not take them all!

Is it on your own property? Ever consider a permanent or strap on tree stand on your favorite tree?

Thats great to hear. I agree just seeing something makes it that much better. The bigger bucks around me have gone into nocturnal mode based on recent trail cam pics. The smaller ones I'm picking up all thru the day

Craigslist is a good source to find wood in the free section
I also see guys scrounging firewood where the power companies have arborists maintaining the power lines. Trouble is they cut it in weird lengths so if you don't mind stacking and burning odd lengths it's a good way to go if it's close to the road.

Back