Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the 245th anniversary of Sybil's ride. She is our local heroin whose ride was longer and more successful than Paul Rever's.

Her father, Col Ludington, was in charge of the local militia. A rider had been dispatched who arrived late at night telling the Col that he had to mobilize his militia for the Battle of Danbury. Col Ludington told the rider he had to go out and alert his men, but the rider was too exhausted.

Sixteen-year-old Sybil overheard the conversation and volunteered for the ride. Her father at first objected, but she convinced him she knew the area and could ride well and he was left with no alternative.

The British had landed in the Long Island Sound and marched to Danbury, where we had a supply depot. They actually won the Battle of Danbury, but then did not leave, and started burning down local farms. This infuriated the militia, who organized against them and drove them out of the area. The British would not return to this area again.

On various bike rides I have replicated Sybil's ride (during the Tour De Putnam), and the troops march to Danbury (there are historical markers), and we used to ride from Danbury to the Sound (where we would swim before returning) which was the same route the British troops marched.

There are a lot of historic Revolutionary war sites around here ... The Battle of Danbury, the Battle of White Plains, West Point, and supply lines that went through Danbury CT and Cold Spring NY. There were chains stretched across the Hudson River in an attempt to stop British ships, and lookout points on the Mountains we hike along the Hudson where early warning signals were given. And, Mad Anthony Wayne, who did the unthinkable, and attacked the British in the middle of the night!

Cold Spring also had a foundry, with Iron ore coming from what is now Fahnestock State Park. We often hike and bike there.

Spalted Maple, that is the name I was trying to remember!

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/species/maple-spalted/
I sawed out some Spalted Maple some time ago,

Resized-20210927-121147-474-S.jpg

Resized-20210927-121835-809-S.jpg

I made this clock out of a piece of it the other day,

Resized-20210602-175523-9571-S.jpg

It looks much better in person.

SR

Well I think we get on here 50 percent to give or get help and 50 percent for the escape from , well life I guess. Lol
I'm here partly for advice, and partly for the "Whew!" effect when someone who actually knows what they're doing 'fesses up to doing exactly the same dumb thing I just did... :D

Well down here the seasons shifted over a month ago, its been over 80f every day the last couple weeks even after cold fronts. That means my time to hoard is coming to a end, it gets too darn hot until late october or even late november to load/split/stack. Soon it will be well over 90f. The last firewood scrounge comes from 30 feet from my piles, a tall oak had its top break but not separate from the trunk. Dangerous as hell but I got it down and im about to go clean it up and get it stacked to start drying.

Dropped the rest of the dying oak next to my house yesterday. Hollow for about 6' but enough good wood to warrant splitting. Tons of carpenter ants flooded out and I sprayed them all including the bonus queen.

View attachment 984774View attachment 984775View attachment 984776View attachment 984777View attachment 984778
If it were I, I would have left the hollow sections in 3' to 4' lengths for wonderful hollow log campfires in the summer for special occasions with friends and family. Stand hollow log on end with either notches cut in bottom for air or on bricks to allow air flow up the chimney of hollow log. Light a small fire in the bottom of the log and feed it appropriate sized wood to keep it going hot and you will have a clean burning blow torch type fire several feet of blue flame above the end of you hollow log.

Laus deo, Ken

Latest posts

Back