Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it’s been too long since I’ve seen an MF 65, but I think they looked somewhat different over here.
I thought MF 65 also. Possibly some subtle differences per what country they were made for. I have an International 364 made over in @LondonNeil s part of the world. I have only ever seen a handful of them here.

If it were I, I would have left the hollow sections in 3' to 4' lengths for wonderful hollow log campfires in the summer for special occasions with friends and family. Stand hollow log on end with either notches cut in bottom for air or on bricks to allow air flow up the chimney of hollow log. Light a small fire in the bottom of the log and feed it appropriate sized wood to keep it going hot and you will have a clean burning blow torch type fire several feet of blue flame above the end of you hollow log.

Laus deo, Ken
I thought they wood make nice rustic flower planters but I like your burning 🔥 them idea too.

Getting a little bit done before breakfast and everyone is awake.
View attachment 984765View attachment 984766View attachment 984767View attachment 984768
15 year old daughter split most of the HVBW and some of the cherry. When I asked if she wanted to split some easy stuff she said, "Yeah!"
My sister learned to split wood, we told all her dates the last guy that made her mad disappeared into the swamp & has never been heard from again.
That we were not sure he was dead, maybe lost & can not find his way out of the mud & briars.

My kind of kid!!
Bob, I don't know what happened to her lately, but yesterday she split firewood, emptied the dishwasher, cleaned and organized the pantry, did homework, went to swim practice, took her shower, went to bed early... all without being asked or protesting. I just haven't figured out what she wants yet! LOL. Other than she turns 16 next month! And she's raring to get her license, not like a lot of kids her age.

Feed the hollow log from the top, drop you camp wood down the chimney. This one was just lit and as the inside of the log dries and catches fire/starts to glow, the flame will usually clean right up. Because of fire pit, I limit size at Flying fields but there is no limit to the fun and size if surroundings permit.

View attachment 20210820_194726.mp4

Looks like I need to chain and lock my gate into my wood lot. It is just a wire cattle gate, I loaded and hauled a load to a customer yesterday with plans to load from about the same spot today. What to my wondering eyes appeared but a big missing divot from teh 1-cord rick I was planning to load from. Not a lot, only 7-8 armloads but once successful....?. He did pick a good spot, vehicle would have been hidden from the house and the highway, back in nook in the varous piles. If I hadn't seen that rick yesterday I probably would never had noticed. I must have happened while I was delivering the load yesterday. Good thing he wasn't there when my truck was parked over there,. It would have been unlocked, key in it and all my saws. That won't happen again.

Odd part was he took that WILLOW! wood while standing right next to about 10 cords of bone dry Black Locust. Maybe he figured picking up those heavy pieces would have been too much like work.

Looks like I need to chain and lock my gate into my wood lot. It is just a wire cattle gate, I loaded and hauled a load to a customer yesterday with plans to load from about the same spot today. What to my wondering eyes appeared but a big missing divot from teh 1-cord rick I was planning to load from. Not a lot, only 7-8 armloads but once successful....?. He did pick a good spot, vehicle would have been hidden from the house and the highway, back in nook in the varous piles. If I hadn't seen that rick yesterday I probably would never had noticed. I must have happened while I was delivering the load yesterday. Good thing he wasn't there when my truck was parked over there,. It would have been unlocked, key in it and all my saws. That won't happen again.

Odd part was he took that WILLOW! wood while standing right next to about 10 cords of bone dry Black Locust. Maybe he figured picking up those heavy pieces would have been too much like work.
A lock and a game camera!

A bit late, forgot to post Thursday's activity. Plan was to go to the old house scrounge, pick up what was on the ground, finish brushing out the two stems I had on the ground and buck up the two stems. Finish the load. Then fall the remainder of the tree. Hah, eyes overloaded my A$$ againl I got about 1/2 of what I had on the ground, leaving the big pieces to be noodled another day, finished the brush out and bucked and loaded the tops of the two stems. I made 4 hours! I don't think I did that well all lasst year. There is way over a load left to be bucked and loaded off those stems.

I am fairly sure they are Maple trees, probably red maple but that is pretty fair firewood. I may leave the big monster standing, It is 4.5' diameter and my 441/32" looks like a toopick against it.

Started on this years cutting/ splitting last week. I know I am not alone in taking vacation to do it. It was going well got allot done until that Saturday, that's when our house boiler killed itself. The water make up valve wad leaking a few drops so I left it for later and went out to split. Came in 1 hour later and the basement was full of electrical smoke and steam coming out the boiler. It's toast and our hot water was indirect from the boiler. So no hot water until we can get it replaced. National Grid has a program where you can get a $2700 rebate on energy efficient boilers so thats what we are getting. We have put in for a 7 year loan to pay for it. So heat is the wood stove and hot water is from the kitchen stove. This is after the OWB circulator went. I got a new energy saving pump but I'll save that for when I am done splitting.

Any guess why the wood in this picture has that pattern? it was like that almost the whole 6' log.
wood stain.jpggrapple.jpg

I can't post at work during the week but I saw lots of posts on mice problems. They get into our vehicles all the time and these are daily drivers! They filled my wife's air duct in the SUV. We found putting moth balls works. I even had to put them near my Impala's intake because they were storing nuts there.

Back