Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat wave has died, 2nd day wiht much cooler temps and a nice breeze. Spent 3.5 hours clearing willow brush again. Made a nice hole in a dense batch of deadfall and built a good sized brush pile. Been sitting here for a an hour catching up and just stood up to get a coffee. OUCH!! My back said that one hard lift I did was just a bit much. I knew I should ahve cut that chunk down some.

Felt real good running he saws and not sweating.

Ruined a micro chain on my 193T. I didn't know it had stretched a bit until it threw the chain. On tht saw it almost always will bend a few chain tangs so they don't fit the bar grove. I usually just throw them away and buy a new chain. Planned to do that but cruised innocently right on by the John Deere/stihl dealer on the way home forgetting to stop.

Interesting fight with the MS362. It usually barks on 2nd pull and then takes 5 or 6 to run but today no bark so I pulled three times, reset for fast idle and pulled many many times figuring it was flooded. Finally proceeded with business with the 441 and 193 stopping every so often to give teh 362 another try. It only took 3 repeats of that befoe i noticed the control lever was still on choke!!! Ah well, my arms needed some strenthening exercises.

Just came in from putting out the trash and recycling. Never have much of either. I was greeted to a large wasp nest full of wasps when i opened the recycling been. It was a surprise cause a month ago I sprayed a nest half that size in there. Thot I got them all cause it was so early in the morning. So much for that idea. Killed a bunch today again.
I expect them and am leary of moving stuff at the cabin, but not here at the house.
I stepped in a Yellow jacket nest a couple weeks ago. Got me 5 times on one ankle, 6 on the other. Got under the band on my sweat shorts, two on each hip. 3 around my belly button. One on butt, couple on each arm. Had one get trapped under the lens on my wrap around Oakleys. Threw them across the yard. I’m not allergic but those buggers hurt and itch forever. One week to the day I was at my place in WV. Was showing my neighbor how to parbuckle a log up on his band mill. Got into another nest and they got me 5-6 more times.

Heat wave has died, 2nd day wiht much cooler temps and a nice breeze. Spent 3.5 hours clearing willow brush again. Made a nice hole in a dense batch of deadfall and built a good sized brush pile. Been sitting here for a an hour catching up and just stood up to get a coffee. OUCH!! My back said that one hard lift I did was just a bit much. I knew I should ahve cut that chunk down some.

Felt real good running he saws and not sweating.

Ruined a micro chain on my 193T. I didn't know it had stretched a bit until it threw the chain. On tht saw it almost always will bend a few chain tangs so they don't fit the bar grove. I usually just throw them away and buy a new chain. Planned to do that but cruised innocently right on by the John Deere/stihl dealer on the way home forgetting to stop.

Interesting fight with the MS362. It usually barks on 2nd pull and then takes 5 or 6 to run but today no bark so I pulled three times, reset for fast idle and pulled many many times figuring it was flooded. Finally proceeded with business with the 441 and 193 stopping every so often to give teh 362 another try. It only took 3 repeats of that befoe i noticed the control lever was still on choke!!! Ah well, my arms needed some strenthening exercises.
I took a big Cherry down for my neighbor. They said there was a cold front coming through, but I was frying. Came in at 3 and decided to take a break till 4, that’s when the dog eats. Stood up to feed her and both ham strings cramped worse cramps I’ve had in years. I drank 4-5 bottles of Power Aid. When the cramps let up I got on the scale. Lost 8 pounds in about 5 hours. Guess I’ll finish up tomorrow.

I was thinking to myself how much trying to fell a realy big tree with an Ms880 or 90 would have sucked especially if you had to hold the saw a neck height.
If you think that’s bad try it with a Homelite 7-29 with a big bar. I had one with a 52” bar and that thing was Heavy.

I had to replace the lower two cutter wheel bearing pillow blocks @ $200 for the pair. A new double link chain, $60 and a new banded drive belt which was around $75 if I recall correctly. I have done 50 or 60 stumps on our property with it since I bought it. It has paid for itself easily. I just put a new battery in it back in May. I have a fairly new 65hp Wisconsin V465D motor for it with electronic ignition that has under 300 hours on it. I bought that motor for $300 in a used concrete cutter from a local rental company that upgraded all of its equipment. My motor uses a bit of oil every time I use it. Hopefully in the near future I will be swapping this one on to my stump grinder.
We had a Vermeer model 15 stump grinder with a V465, that thing was a beast, 8’ of travel. Often took as long to set up as it did to grind out the stump.

Ported 462 ... Ported 462 ... Ported 462 ...

That said my MOFO ported Hybrid is stronger ... but it has a Husky piston that allowed for wider ports (single ring piston). (The piston is also lighter than a 460 piston, so less vibrations).
I run a stock 462R with a barkbox at work. It's pretty strong, but it just doesn't have the torque of the 500i or my hybrid...I really have to be cognizant of keeping the chain speed up when I'm dogged into a tree. I actually like the saw, because it's gotta be versatile. My requirement there is to have a saw large enough to fall trees with a 28" bar, yet light enough to hike and cut brush when needed. I'd say the 400 or the 462 are the closest saws to filling that role.

I've almost debated on taking the 462 home to try and coax some more torque out of it. I did some mild work to the 400 cylinder and got a little more grunt out of it. After that and upgrading the oiler, I have a saw that needs a bigger bar than the 25" that's on it currently.

My hybrid is seriously a strong saw. I just finished up a 440 for somebody and was honestly dissappointed in the "feel" at first, just because the hybrids have ruined my expectations. I then compared my cut times to it bone stock and now I'm actually proud to put my name on it.

I stepped in a Yellow jacket nest a couple weeks ago. Got me 5 times on one ankle, 6 on the other. Got under the band on my sweat shorts, two on each hip. 3 around my belly button. One on butt, couple on each arm. Had one get trapped under the lens on my wrap around Oakleys. Threw them across the yard. I’m not allergic but those buggers hurt and itch forever. One week to the day I was at my place in WV. Was showing my neighbor how to parbuckle a log up on his band mill. Got into another nest and they got me 5-6 more times.
I was getting set up to climb a tree with all my gear on last week, I was standing on top of a sand dune with the hill to my back, a shed to my left, and a bunch of needle like thorny branches on my right, with my rope bag in front of me pulling rope out of my bag, then I saw a ground bee crawling around on the ground next to my bag as if my bag was on the nest 😮 . I decided to just keep going for it as I had nowhere to go anyway, fortunately nothing came out of it.
If when I do get stung, I just look around the yard and grab a piece of plantain(it's in most every yard here that they don't spray for broad leaf) chew it up a bit and smear it on the sting/bite, instant relief :havingarest:, well not quite that good, but much better lol.

I rotary cut another field today, you can see the walnut grove in this pict. too,

Resized-20220802-142807-S.jpg

The owner of this property has ATV trails all over the property and a log was blocking one of the trails, so I drug it out for him,

Resized-20220802-150405-S.jpg

It will get made into firewood this fall.

SR

It's been awhile since I ran a 661, but I do have my ported 066 to compare it to. Even running an 8-pin, the 066 has more torque when you lean on it hard. However, if I keep the chain speed up on the 500i, it's not far behind the 066. It definitely will have zero issues pulling a buried 32" and will even run a 36" in softwoods just fine.

The FI is pretty cool on it, instant throttle response. Throw an aftermarket or modded muffler cover on it and it runs like a ported saw. The big selling point for me was the weight. I forget the numbers exactly, but it was within a few ounces of my 044...both with wrap handles, etc.

I know a lot of the contract fallers are starting to run them on the fires because of the weight and ability to pull a 36".

The only downsides to the 500i that I've found so far, are the suspension and the clutch cover. The stock cover is kinda lame and wood chips go everywhere...it isn't annoying enough for me to buy that expensive WCS billet cover though. I did do the upgraded suspension kit from WCS, the 500i feels like a wet noodle with a 32 or 36 until you throw the stiffer AV on it. After that, it's easily my favorite falling saw.

Some people complain about the fuel economy of it, but I don't really have an issue with it. A few of my ported saws are fuel pigs too, I think it's just the cost of making big power out of a smaller cylinder. I certainly don't think it's any worse than my ported 044/046 hybrid and still better than my 066.

Sorry for the long-winded response, just lots to say on the 500 lol.
No! Dont apologize! Great solid info and I thank you!👍 You answered every question about the saw I had running through my head. Also, I agree about fuel economy out of a saw. The bigger powerful falling saw's are going to be thirsty. That's just the way it is. IMOP, they should be if they are to make any kind of power on the stump. Thanks again for the reply. I think Im going to call Madsen's and see if any 500's are available.

I'm looking for and require considerably more power than an 046/460. How dose the 500 compare to your hybrid?

My 661 makes mad horse power!!! But I had it hopped way up by Dwayne at Olive's Auto Shop in Idaho. I sent it to him from the Post Office as soon As it arrived to me from Madsen's I never even took it home. Just sent it straight to Dwayne to be hopped up. I'd actually like to get another 661 but I don't want the 661C I bought the last MS661 Madsen's had in stock. 🤔 Im not even sure Stihl stihl builds the MS661 They may just offer the 661C, but Im not sure about that either.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

No! Dont apologize! Great solid info and I thank you!👍 You answered every question about the saw I had running through my head. Also, I agree about fuel economy out of a saw. The bigger powerful falling saw's are going to be thirsty. That's just the way it is. IMOP, they should be if they are to make any kind of power on the stump. Thanks again for the reply. I think Im going to call Madsen's and see if any 500's are available.

I'm looking for and require considerably more power than an 046/460. How dose the 500 compare to your hybrid?

My 661 makes mad horse power!!! But I had it hopped way up by Dwayne at Olive's Auto Shop in Idaho. I sent it to him from the Post Office as soon As it arrived to me from Madsen's I never even took it home. Just sent it straight to Dwayne to be hopped up. I'd actually like to get another 661 but I don't want the 661C I bought the last MS661 Madsen's had in stock. 🤔 Im not even sure Stihl stihl builds the MS661 They may just offer the 661C, but Im not sure about that either.

If ya get a chance, try the Husky 592xp impressive 90+cc saw great ergonomics even thoe it’s a new model . If ur not a diehard Stihl guy lol

I'd say that it compares reasonably well to the hybrid. I haven't timed them back to back, but they feel pretty similar in the cut. The 500 was still brand new when I compared them, so I remember that the hybrid may have pulled a bit better on the top end and felt pretty close on the bottom. The 500i spooled up a bit quicker, which I attribute to the FI.

Now that the 500 is broke in, I'm curious how they would compare now...I haven't run the hybrid in awhile. The last tree job I did, I brought the 066 along with the thought that I was going to do the flush cut with it...but I ended up just using the 500i for that since I already had it out. It was one of the biggest Claro walnuts I've ever seen, probably 40" DBH and 4'ish where I did the flush cut. The 500 w/32" square ground and agro softwood rakers, had no issue with it.

The fact that the 500i feels so similar to my hybrid isn't a knock against the 500i, but rather a compliment to the hybrid. My hybrid was considerably faster than a dual-port, but otherwise stock, 460 I was messing around with. I'm not a professional porter by any means, just an idiot with a lathe and flex-shaft grinder, but that hybrid turned out exceptionally well. So good, that my 066 saw a lot less use after I built it.

All that being said, my only recommendation is if you have no complaints with your 661, you might just want to stick with that. If you're chasing a significant reduction in weight and don't mind losing just a little grunt, the 500i is the ticket.

I'd say that it compares reasonably well to the hybrid. I haven't timed them back to back, but they feel pretty similar in the cut. The 500 was still brand new when I compared them, so I remember that the hybrid may have pulled a bit better on the top end and felt pretty close on the bottom. The 500i spooled up a bit quicker, which I attribute to the FI.

Now that the 500 is broke in, I'm curious how they would compare now...I haven't run the hybrid in awhile. The last tree job I did, I brought the 066 along with the thought that I was going to do the flush cut with it...but I ended up just using the 500i for that since I already had it out. It was one of the biggest Claro walnuts I've ever seen, probably 40" DBH and 4'ish where I did the flush cut. The 500 w/32" square ground and agro softwood rakers, had no issue with it.

The fact that the 500i feels so similar to my hybrid isn't a knock against the 500i, but rather a compliment to the hybrid. My hybrid was considerably faster than a dual-port, but otherwise stock, 460 I was messing around with. I'm not a professional porter by any means, just an idiot with a lathe and flex-shaft grinder, but that hybrid turned out exceptionally well. So good, that my 066 saw a lot less use after I built it.

All that being said, my only recommendation is if you have no complaints with your 661, you might just want to stick with that. If you're chasing a significant reduction in weight and don't mind losing just a little grunt, the 500i is the ticket.
Ok, roger that. Pro info fo show! 👍 If I can find a MS in the 661 I will definitely stick with it for part swap reasons and such. If all I can find is a C model. 🤔 I may try the 500i. Thanks again 👍

I rotary cut another field today, you can see the walnut grove in this pict. too,

Resized-20220802-142807-S.jpg

The owner of this property has ATV trails all over the property and a log was blocking one of the trails, so I drug it out for him,

Resized-20220802-150405-S.jpg

It will get made into firewood this fall.

SR
Looks great.
Dang beetles, ash trees dead everywhere.
I have been finding more and more that have made it through the initial devastation those buggers caused. Hopefully they are on their way out and these trees can thrive.

Yo Guys! Been a couple years since I've been on here. Still been cutting and burning lots of wood. Last couple seasons I've been fortunate enough to score some excellent, volumus, easy sources of red and white oak, hardly feels like scrounging lol.

Me and the wifey just bought a property (closing Aug 15th) on 2 acres that backs up to public land so I will be doing more. And putting in a huge garden, building a music studio....annnd many other things

I might finally get a truck. the prius V is a champ, but now that we're getting ready to homestead (sort of), there's more justification for it. I just looked at a 1995 F-250 XL inline 6 4.9L today. Its rather rough cosmetically but runs really well, got an HD rear end. 197k. Seller said he would take $1800. What do y'all think?
88E18CEC-8FFE-4F9A-8A47-11754F2989CB.jpeg

oh and I guess I should post a pic with some wood in it. Not my wood just a job but anyway... A couple months ago got hired to cut up this big dead pine. I told them I wouldn't recommend burning it inside, but they wanted it anyways, so whateves. It was hot as balls till the shade came over. Cannot wait for fall...
44578EA3-359C-4082-8432-DC412A2B31E8_1_105_c.jpeg

If ya get a chance, try the Husky 592xp impressive 90+cc saw great ergonomics even thoe it’s a new model . If ur not a diehard Stihl guy lol
Definitely not a die hard Stihl buff. I've just had great luck with them in the past and its pretty much all I've ever run with the exception of my ol' ported 288, but heck that was 25 years ago. It made good power for sure. Id say between an 044 and 066 as far as power. I did however try my boss' 390 or 395 (cant remember witch) the other day and its all hopped to the max. Unbelievable power! Even more, it was lighter than my 661! I couldn't believe it! He said to me "I ran Stihl for years until I ran a 394. I Couldn't believe the difference. Ive been a Husky man ever since! Some day you will too". I know a lot if seasoned cutters that switched over from Stihl to Husky for a lot of reasons and my boss might be right sooner than he thinks! I like the power my 661 makes. However, it wouldn't make the power it does if it were stock. 👍 I don't however like the way Stihl engineered and designed the 661. I feel its a step down from the 660 as far as being user friendly maintenance free and reliability. 👎 Apparently right now, Husky is the 90cc saw to have for felling bigger timber.

Latest posts

Back