Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my neighbor lent me a Fiskars yesterday evening. I'm not sure what model, but its at least six pounds with a 36" handle and boy is it one fast wood splitting son of a gun! I've never split a pile of wood so fast! 🤷 I think I split two cord in an hour!👍 Unbelievable!
View attachment 1041106View attachment 1041093Oh no wait!

Just a second, wrong photos! 🙄

Well my neighbor lent me his Fis...Doooe!😖
Hold on! hold on!
View attachment 1041094View attachment 1041095

Those weren't the right photos either!..

...I don't know How I ended up with those last pics? 🤷 I mean, they aren't mine!...

...Ok here we go! These are the right photos! 👍 Alright then! Were was I?🤔
☝️ Oh yeah!
Well, my neighbor lent me his Fiskars yesterday evening. Im not sure what model, but its at least six pounds with a 36" handle and boy is it one fast wood splitting son of a gun! I've never split a pile of wood so fast!🤷 I think I split two cord in an hour!👍 Unbelievable!View attachment 1041103View attachment 1041107View attachment 1041096
🤥

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!😉
That is a Fiskars Isocore maul (about 8lbs) and you are correct. They are much appreciated here in Australia where we have some pretty hard and twisted timber. They are heavy though compared to a good axe or 6lb Cyclone maul. I only use mine when the hydraulic splitter 'spits the dummy' or the axe is too light. Fiskars also make a superb splitting axe I believe. My mate raves about them because of their 'break-proof' handles.

We were sleeping in the new cabin (or at least trying to sleep) without any front door and a mid-sized bear kept coming back after we chased it (4 times). On the 4th time the bear bit Harold's cooler and flung it 15' into the air, and I instinctively yelled at it and as it ran I chased it for about 50 yards ... wearing nothing but underwear and boots and a flashlight in one hand and my Glock 40S+W in the other. The bear did not come back after that, and we finally got some sleep!

Sounds very American.

P.S.:

There’s firewood under there, somewhere. I would really have to scrounge for it! So I carried in a few boxes of dry stuff from the garage.

Philbert

I have an uncle in Minnie Soda, your picture reminds me of his pictures.

Is the plow mounted? Would it be easy to take a picture if the mounting bracket?
If you need pics of the mounting brackets, just let me know. My ATV plow has the same mounting tabs.

The mounting brackets are just half-moon shaped channels ... the tab goes in the channel and the pin goes through all 3 holes and holds it in place. The pin has a spring clip that locks it in place.

Let me know if you need any pics, it is in the garage as the Mustang is currently in the body shop. It is a 2006 and I drive it all year round, and it started to bubble the paint in front of the driver side wheel, so I'm getting it fixed.

If you need pics of the mounting brackets, just let me know. My ATV plow has the same mounting tabs.

The mounting brackets are just half-moon shaped channels ... the tab goes in the channel and the pin goes through all 3 holes and holds it in place. The pin has a spring clip that locks it in place.

Let me know if you need any pics, it is in the garage as the Mustang is currently in the body shop. It is a 2006 and I drive it all year round, and it started to bubble the paint in front of the driver side wheel, so I'm getting it fixed.
I would definitely appreciate some photos! 👍Thankyou!

I would definitely appreciate some photos! 👍
I can grab some photos for ya of mine too.

Best way I’ve found is to use some 1/4” sheet metal and make a skid plate that bolts to the tube frame with some u bolts, and then 3/8x1.5 or so you make the actual mounts off the bottom of that. It makes for a sturdy mount, and doubles as a great skid plate, just remember to drill or cut out an access hole for your drain plug.

Also, you want the mounts very close to the center of the wheeler or you will run up on top of your plow. If they plow arms are not long enough, extend them, don’t move the mounts forward

I can grab some photos for ya of mine too.

Best way I’ve found is to use some 1/4” sheet metal and make a skid plate that bolts to the tube frame with some u bolts, and then 3/8x1.5 or so you make the actual mounts off the bottom of that. It makes for a sturdy mount, and doubles as a great skid plate, just remember to drill or cut out an access hole for your drain plug.

Also, you want the mounts very close to the center of the wheeler or you will run up on top of your plow. If they plow arms are not long enough, extend them, don’t move the mounts forward
I'll take all the info ideas and pictures I can get! Thankyou!

Very good advice.

The scariest experience I’ve ever had cutting was when I was bucking up a big blowdown pine tree, and my kids were all out in the woods “helping” aka playing nearby me (obviously staying a safe distance from the saw). I cut the main beam loose with about 6 feet left on the root ball, and it stood right up. It was a very stressful five or so seconds for me to locate all the kids in the woods.
Man I bet was a very stressful five second heart ache! Glad to hear everyone was ok!👍 Be Careful bud! All lives matter!😉

NYC DEP are a pain . They cut 100 + ash trees on 55a all nice wood right near the road . Asked about it was told if anyone goes in to get wood they will be arrested . They own the road too so even on the shoulder is a no go. On 55 you can pick up wood on the side of the road it's a state road .

Nope wife hate store bought jewelry. Very simple tastes would make me return a diamond piece of jewelry in a minute

Thanks
My Mrs.' makes her own jewelry as well. Thats a very nice jewelry box by the way. Looks like some time definitely put into it!

P. S.
Hey uhg, 🤔if you ever do get a piece of diamond jewelry and you wife makes you return it? Return it over to me would ya! 😉

So here's the thing I grew up in remote Alaska in a very small tight nitch community where you're neighbors are treated as well as and as if family. Then there's the felling industry. I cut timber on cut'n crews out of remote camps all over Southcentral and Southeast Alaska fir many moon! Then there's the Bering Sea. Hauling crab gear on the deck of 100 foot boats, small crews, 20 plus seasons. Then there's the Navy! Bigger than crab boats, but small fir a Ship. The destroyers I was on had a crew compliment of 350. Although we had several clicks amongst ourselves everyone knew each other's name.

I guess what Im saying is. All my life. I've been in different brother hoods one way or another! Thats why I clown around so much. I often make the mistake on this forum of talking to someone as if they were a brother and talk to them as such. I know no other way! 🤷 I apologize guys if I come across mean or stearn never has that been or will ever be my intentions.

If any of you ever truly got to know me? You would find that I am very kind, have very few enemies. If any? I am a very giving person, and take care of my own! Weather it be thy neighbor, fellow Cutter, or fellow shipmate, and I love to joke and clown around! That's me!👍 Take it or leave it, because to be a character. ☝️First one must have character!

🎵Sommmme people say a man is made out of mud.
A poor mans made out of muscle and blood!
Muscle and blood and skin and.......🎵
We seem to be very alike, lifes to short to have a boring outlook. A wicked sense of humour, compationate towards others, standing by your convictions and not being a sheep who runs with the flock.
The great thing as I have got older is I can say things as they are, do crazy things and people say its his age, wife replies, he has always been like it!

We seem to be very alike, lifes to short to have a boring outlook. A wicked sense of humour, compationate towards others, standing by your convictions and not being a sheep who runs with the flock.
The great thing as I have got older is I can say things as they are, do crazy things and people say its his age, wife replies, he has always been like it!
Roger that! 👍

In 1982 I bought a NEW HD 3/4 ton Chevy PU, 6.2L diesel, 4 speed trans, 3.73 gears with rear limited slip, 4wd, power steering/brakes, dual fuel tanks, tinted windshield, better cloth seat, front appearance package, gauges, better radio, step bumper and ?. It was $12,250.00 out the door.

To that point in my life, it was the BEST PU I ever owned, I still have it.

SR

That is a Fiskars Isocore maul (about 8lbs) and you are correct. They are much appreciated here in Australia where we have some pretty hard and twisted timber. They are heavy though compared to a good axe or 6lb Cyclone maul. I only use mine when the hydraulic splitter 'spits the dummy' or the axe is too light. Fiskars also make a superb splitting axe I believe. My mate raves about them because of their 'break-proof' handles.
There are 6lb and 8lb models. The 8 looks to have a larger rear striking flat. I bought a 6 for my son. I'll stick to my splitting axe unless I feel an odd urge.

SheaIMG_20221223_082457074_HDR.jpg

Back