Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saw Chipper, ported 562s run very strong, and Randy's work is second to none (I have several saws ported by him). Also, glad to hear you got a good price on it, I'm sure it will put a smile on your face!

However, the new 400 is a game changer ... lighter, more displacement, new transfer technology ... to repeat (and slightly modify) on of my Dad's old quotes:

"Quality (performance) will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". I honestly don't remember what I paid for my 10 mm 044 back in Dec 92. I remember thinking it was a lot at the time, but that saw still runs strong and was my only saw for 18 years ... no regrets!

On the other side of the coin, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so enjoy that saw! A ported 562 will put a lot of other saws to shame.

Nice saw Chipper, ported 562s run very strong, and Randy's work is second to none (I have several saws ported by him). Also, glad to hear you got a good price on it, I'm sure it will put a smile on your face!

However, the new 400 is a game changer ... lighter, more displacement, new transfer technology ... to repeat (and slightly modify) on of my Dad's old quotes:

"Quality (performance) will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". I honestly don't remember what I paid for my 10 mm 044 back in Dec 92. I remember thinking it was a lot at the time, but that saw still runs strong and was my only saw for 18 years ... no regrets!

On the other side of the coin, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so enjoy that saw! A ported 562 will put a lot of other saws to shame.
Yea Mike , those 044 are in a class by themselves .

I'm sure the power I will like, if it has more power than a 60 and it weighs less than a 372, I'm sure I will like it.
I'll pass on the 400 for the price, already have a 462 and have had many others, still have the 372's and the ported dolmar 7900, but the 440 is long gone. I'll try one if I get a deal, otherwise maybe someone will let me run one of theirs, just like the 500i. Oh, forgot I still have a 572 I need to assemble :oops:.
I'm familiar with those types of quotes, I've also heard it said location location location when investing in land, but I'd rather combine that with highest best use ;). Like I said, I've already moved on from the 440, and it's owed me nothing, I made lots of firewood, helped lots of friends and neighbors with it, made money doing many jobs with it, and made money on it when I sold it and the guy was pleased with it. I feel I've done alright with my choices in the past, even though some have gone sideways, not many have gone down. I've never bought anything with the intention of keeping it forever, and I have no regrets either :).

Hi guys. We’ve had extreme winds with subzero temps for the last couple of days. I had to go out on the lake yesterday to retrieve a broken down snowmobile for my boys and the larger basins on the lake look like a scene from Hoth.

I tried to get into my cabin with the truck yesterday and there was just too much snow. I probably could’ve made it if it was a short distance but wasn’t going to abuse the truck to drive 3 1/2 miles in bumper deep snow even though I had traction. With that being said, I’ll be spending Christmas at home rather than at the cabin, but I have several invites to join people for dinner.

I had an 042 or 044(?), only saw for many, many years. Added a 021 for small stuff. The shut-off switch messed up. Parts were not available, or so I was told. The shop put a toggle kill switch on it. Never liked to run it that way. Sat on a shelf for a few years, replaced with a 357XP. I gave it to a friend, and it was passed on to another.
When I buy something, price is never the first consideration. Everyone is different when it comes to their money.
Now, I also have the 562 stock. The then eleven year old 357 went into the shop. Slow turn around, meaning two to three weeks. I walked out with the 562, very similar to the 357, and kept cutting/splitting. What's not to like about these saws? The 042av was rock solid, but a heavy saw.
I will say, a one saw plan teaches you not to get bound up when blocking limbs and rounds off a downed tree.
Merry Christmas, from southwest Michigan

Hi guys! I didn't check in for 2 or 3 days as I didn't need to follow the hunting stuff closely and got so far behind I kinda got scared! Then couldn't find the time to catch up so stayed away longer. You probably didn't even notice 😁

I read you gentlemen are having a major ' day after tomorrow' style mega storm, it looks bad! Stay safe everyone. There will be a few new members of the 100 club after this! I can't imagine the cold some of you are facing.

We just came through a 10 cold spell that was big news here. It was nothing that unusual, maybe a once a decade sort of event, but news because of the energy crisis and price rises. People here aren't used to £20-30 a day heating bills here and with inflation above 10% we've a fully fledged cost of living crisis underway so a cold spell and big bills was news. I managed without turning the gas boiler on. Which was good as when I came to test it I found the controller had died so I couldn't have used it anyway. My two small stoves were about at their limit, running hard for about 15 hours a day to keep the house at snug temps. Outside temps.... We had snow on the ground for a week, lows of -5C in London and highs of just above freezing, so very very mild by your standards! 16-22C inside though.
Stay safe gents, and let's see who gets the 100+ club.
I missed you, I need your address! I'll probably never make the 100* club, but it was 2F with feels like -15F this morning. I went out in shorts, T-shirt, and slippers to get wood. Then I remembered I had something in my truck, so I walked down to my truck, started back to the house and remembered I left the charger on my diesel tractor 2 days ago, so walked around back, by the time I unplugged the tractor I was thinking, "ya know, 2* is cold"! sure glad the back door was open. Next time I go out, I'll make sure I put a cap on!

Hope everyone has a good Christmas...I was planning on visiting some family today, but I'm pretty sure I came down with the flu or covid last night. Fever, chills, extreme fatigue/body aches, headache...I almost never get sick, so I turn into a giant sissy when I do get sick.
Yuck!
Hope you get over whatever it is quick.
I hate being sick.....

Hope everyone has a good Christmas...I was planning on visiting some family today, but I'm pretty sure I came down with the flu or covid last night. Fever, chills, extreme fatigue/body aches, headache...I almost never get sick, so I turn into a giant sissy when I do get sick.
Green tea , honey, and some fresh garlic 🧄 get ur immune system a boost 🎁 get well my friend.

Hope ur feeling better soon. Always more crap going around in the winter time. Another reason I hate winter as if frigid cold and snow/ice weren't enough.

Hope you feel better soon

Latest posts

Back