Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't have said it better myself! 👍 IMOP, That's why the .50 is such a great extreme range tactical cartridge. Not only does it have great trajectory properties with minimal disturbance by wind when compared to the Creedmoor and other much smaller cartridges. The .50 also has enough lead in it's ass to pierce much heavier or thicker materials at far further distance's as well. 👍

I've got some kinda like that too, but I much prefer the old style stuff for plinking.

Actually, all my modern guns were lost in a terrible shipwreck last year.........you know how that goes......
No, I don't, I keep hearing all these people talking about boating accidents, I've never had one. But I sure have sold a lot, actually everything except my pistols, well the ones I bought anyway ;).
In MI we can do direct sales of rifles person to person, but you need a permit to purchase a pistol from an individual unless you have a concealed permit, then you use a form when you buy it and turn it in to your local sheriffs office. Supposedly it's not a pistol registry, I say bullcrap. But if you build one you don't need to do any of that happy horsecrap 👍 .
I do have a little double action Taurus PT poly 22, fun little plinker.

One of my friends at the Fish and Game club, who is a few years older than me and a Vietnam Veteran, had a (old model) Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt Long.

He used to shoot that thing so well you would shake your head! Unfortunately, he is not as good as he used to be.

We also talk cars a lot. He as a Viper, some Camaros, some Vettes and used to have a GTO with a self-installed L-88 motor!

Had a crazy two days of weather. Friday the temps started out in the mid-50's and some heavy rain. That softened the soil before heavy winds roared in bringing much colder temps. Within 24 hours, the temps dropped 59 degrees to -1, and the wind brought down two large evergreen on my neighbor's place. Missed their house, and their utilities, blocked their driveway. Looked like this when I got a call to help "trim their tree"

IMG_1916.jpg

The tree broke off just above the base, then broke two more places up the trunk when it hit the ground. I Loaded a couple saws, wedges, and the cant hook in my cart behind my 4-wheeler and rolled down around 9 am with temps a finger numbing 3°. I used the Dolmar PS 421 to do some limbing and take some weight off the top. And took a break to find the temps had already risen to 5°:

IMG_1921.jpg

Switched to the PS 6100 with a 20" bar that did not reach through the base to lighten the base end. Had lots of stress on more than a dozen of the branches on the bottom of the laid over tree. I sent the assembled watchers back plenty far and judiciously started tripping the stressed under-branches. Ultimately, I was able to get it laying down, then sectioned it to roll off the driveway:

IMG_1923.jpg

My motto is "Have Saw - will travel". My motto is not "Call me, I'll clean up your tree". I called this job done and rode the ATV home in time for lunch, and noted the outside temps had sunshined all the way to 10°. I'm sure this neighbor was very pleased with the help I applied, and won't likely do anymore clean-up till Spring like temperatures. And, no, I don't take this kind of wood for firewood, but I'm sure someone will.

Still socked in with the blizzard. All the roads are closed and the family that was supposed to come, can't. We have a student here from Paris France and a former student came back to visit from Aberdeen New South Wales Australia. We have packages from all over the world here from family and other students who have stayed with us. Cut our own tree this year which was fun, these girls had never even seen a chainsaw! Got the fire going as the blizzard rages on. Merry Christmas to all you scroungers!

Attachments

• PXL_20221224_195633298.jpg
    PXL_20221224_195633298.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I've been trying to decide what 44 to take out and shoot,

P1010089-S.jpg

SR
Nice collection of 29's you have there SR! Very nice! I have a 629 Classic myself.👍

B
Hope everyone has a good Christmas...I was planning on visiting some family today, but I'm pretty sure I came down with the flu or covid last night. Fever, chills, extreme fatigue/body aches, headache...I almost never get sick, so I turn into a giant sissy when I do get sick.
Bummer, maybe Santa will bring you a remedy. Get well soon! Sierra!👍

Missed the OWB pics. Pic of the band mill.
looks real cold there c'too! we heard upper areas N border to E... up to 12' snow!!... and or more. we, are finally warming up. stay warm, be safe. thanks for the pix! awesome.... hopefully we will break out of the cabin fever tomorrow! tonite i am burning some oak firewood that is every bit 45 years old. still solid as day one, w/plenty btu's. nice firewood for a Christmas Eve fireside fire. i pulled it as a treat.... 😋

1671936784693.png34f

Like a little kid after Christmas. I usually sleep with my new saws fir about a week. Arm tucked around it and all. On a cot in the shop by the saw chop corner of course.
The Squaw won't have it in the bedroom. I guess she doesn't like bar oil,🤔 Or maybe its the smell of mixed gas? 🤷 Heck, I don't know?
:surprised3:

tonight?
zzzzxkk.jpe
but seeing is believing! ~

We're seeing some very cold temps for the area, low single digits and below zero wind chill. My son mentioned how cold it feels, I told him not to complain.....I've seen much colder.

When I first went in the service I was stationed at Ft Drum, NY. One mid winter day it was way below zero with a wind chill reported at -49°. We were doing a morning training mission with helicopter pick up/insertion. We got out to the LZ and I was doing anything I could to stay warm. I apparently exhaled and squeezed my eyes closed at the same time......my eyelashes froze to my face!! They froze to my freaking face!! I rubbed my face and everything worked again, but my idea of what is cold was forever changed. The rest of the day went smoothly once the wind died down. I still remember in cold weather training the instructor said he had fewer issues with guys from the south, we weren't afraid to put the right gear on instead of being tough.

I hope all of you have a blessed and Merry Christmas!!

Shea

Back