Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how your bracing will hold up. Seems opposite to what it should be. Too bad you couldn't rotate the tongue jack 90 deg so the crank was in front, but I know you said it was welded in well and you didn't want to have to mess with it. If you need additional bracing, could you weld it to the outside frame of the tongue?
So, yes I'm wondering too. I had a pretty long conversation with my brother shortly after I posted the pictures. (He works structural steel fabrication.) You, me and him have the same reservations about not having a forward brace. Sooooooooo gonna test it this weekend. I don't have a way of simulating a full 13klbs of dead weight. But I have a really steep hill and a really heavy truck I can load heavy and test it out. The worst that will happen is either my welds will break (doubtful) or the c channel will twist. (Most likely) now I didn't take pictures of the lower gussets that connect the frame to the tongue of the trailer that gives it the bottom of the legs support from pushing forward and allowing the legs to act like a lever and twist out of the c channel.
Really if it moves more then I'd like, I'll have to run over to my brother's and gracefully cut the jack off and turn it, like you suggest. There won't be anything graceful about cutting it off. It's welded on there like God himself didn't want it to come off. (The jack) and the outer tube will more then likely need replaced on the jack. So fingers crossed it will work out.

Attachments

• 20230201_171911.jpg
    20230201_171911.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Guess I should state my reason for such a large winch. So one of the things winch makers don't like to tell you is the rating given is with 1 wrap in the drum. Most winches have 3 to 4 wraps on the drum and each layer takes away from the maximum pulling power. 90%+ of people will never go more then 2 wraps deep on a winch. Which means your 8k winch is only good for about 4k at wrap 3 and wrap 4 isn't worth mentioning. But just double it over.... I'm lazy and don't have time for that. More often then I'd like to admit I've had the 12k winch doubled or trippled over to get something on my deck over with 2 wraps on the drum. Don't have time to play with a little winch. So (like normal) I just went over kill knowing I shouldn't really need the full force of the winch, except for those rare occasions.

Scrounged up two Husqvarna saws tonight for $100. One is a 440. The other is s 268. Compression is good on both. Haven't had a chance to mess with them. Yesterday I missed out on a super deal for two nice Stihl saws. One was a super clean MS290. The other was a MS660 Magnum. $300 for the pair. Somebody beat me to the punch. I offered the guy more. Never got a reply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201-082204_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230201-082204_Facebook.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 3
Scrounged up two Husqvarna saws tonight for $100. One is a 440. The other is s 268. Compression is good on both. Haven't had a chance to mess with them. Yesterday I missed out on a super deal for two nice Stihl saws. One was a super clean MS290. The other was a MS660 Magnum. $300 for the pair. Somebody beat me to the punch. I offered the guy more. Never got a reply.
660 alone would be worth $300! At least to me. Never ran across a deal like that.

Guess I should state my reason for such a large winch. So one of the things winch makers don't like to tell you is the rating given is with 1 wrap in the drum. Most winches have 3 to 4 wraps on the drum and each layer takes away from the maximum pulling power. 90%+ of people will never go more then 2 wraps deep on a winch. Which means your 8k winch is only good for about 4k at wrap 3 and wrap 4 isn't worth mentioning. But just double it over.... I'm lazy and don't have time for that. More often then I'd like to admit I've had the 12k winch doubled or trippled over to get something on my deck over with 2 wraps on the drum. Don't have time to play with a little winch. So (like normal) I just went over kill knowing I shouldn't really need the full force of the winch, except for those rare occasions.
It has been my understanding that only the line speed is affected by the # of wraps. Pulling power remains the same. I’ve used the hell out of mine under some extreme conditions for a lot of years and have never noticed a change in power.

So, yes I'm wondering too. I had a pretty long conversation with my brother shortly after I posted the pictures. (He works structural steel fabrication.) You, me and him have the same reservations about not having a forward brace. Sooooooooo gonna test it this weekend. I don't have a way of simulating a full 13klbs of dead weight. But I have a really steep hill and a really heavy truck I can load heavy and test it out. The worst that will happen is either my welds will break (doubtful) or the c channel will twist. (Most likely) now I didn't take pictures of the lower gussets that connect the frame to the tongue of the trailer that gives it the bottom of the legs support from pushing forward and allowing the legs to act like a lever and twist out of the c channel.
Really if it moves more then I'd like, I'll have to run over to my brother's and gracefully cut the jack off and turn it, like you suggest. There won't be anything graceful about cutting it off. It's welded on there like God himself didn't want it to come off. (The jack) and the outer tube will more then likely need replaced on the jack. So fingers crossed it will work out.
I brought up previously about welding a brace to the side of the tongue. Forgive the lousy pic, I can't draw.
Winch1.jpg
I don't know what those black bars bolted to each side are for. Bracing may get in the way. Plus lot of funny angles to mess with. Might be easier as you said, to just redo the jack.

I've heard that here before, but I just don't understand it. Why should the number of wraps on a spool decrease its efficiency?

I brought up previously about welding a brace to the side of the tongue. Forgive the lousy pic, I can't draw.
View attachment 1054224
I don't know what those black bars bolted to each side are for. Bracing may get in the way. Plus lot of funny angles to mess with. Might be easier as you said, to just redo the jack.
I would do one of those each side and use at least .187 sq or rec tube, 1.25 or 1.5”. I like overkill 😁

just saw the other pics. What kind of load do you anticipate? As is should hold a few thousand #

On a winch (perhaps the decrease in power was overstated), but it is simple physics, the larger the spool diameter the faster it will pull, but the less torque it will have. It is just like if you put a larger sprocket on your saw.
In theory, yes…in practice, not so much. Remember, during a pull the line sucks into the rest of the spooled line, especially under a full load. I’ve used Amsteel Blue since the early 2000s and this is even more true with the rope rather than cable. Nobody I’ve ever known with a winch running cable has it all pretty wound perfectly, sorry, that don’t happen on the trail.
the average truck winch ain’t like what’s on a tow truck.

60* slope...used a rope to get up and down. 200' pull, 3 winches + blocks. An interesting weekend.
Driver survived, truck got a new cab.
Good times...
P4260016.JPGP4260030.JPGP4260002.JPG

I see that Midway USA lists "coming soon" Winchester 348 ammo for $60/box of 20. That compares to the "unavailable" Hornady at $103/box of 20.

All of the bullet heads for reloading are also listed as "unavailable" and start at $60/50 if they did have them!

Glad I'm building the 338-06, I think my 348 will see a lot less action at the range. I spoke with my gunsmith today and he is hoping to get to it by next weekend. Fingers crossed!

Is that a barn your working on in the picture, if so, can I see a better picture of it please Brett? Im going to draw up a set of plans for a building permit to build an equipment barn/dry storage. Then submit it to the Kodiak Island Borough or as we say on the Island here. "Kodiak Island Mafia."🤣🤣
No, that's a buddies we built in 2017 iirc. It's a 30x48x12' tall, with a 10x48 lean-tos. I did remove a few branches off a maple tree in front of the left side so he could add another lean-to, but I haven't talked with him in a long while, need to call and check on him.
Ours is a 32x48 with two 12x48 lean-tos.
I have various videos/updates on it on my YouTube channel.
I have built a lot of them and every single person I built for told me they wished they had gone bigger before I even finished.
You should have built mine, then you wouldn't be able to say that ;).
this saw has plenty of power for me
Man card revocation for one week, keep it up and it'll be gone for the rest of the month, remember it's the beginning of the month!

Latest posts

Back