Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 days of no 'wooding' now. Started Friday with wild wind, went through weekend with more of the same, wound up yesterday with 6" snow. Letting today, which looks nice, go by to dry out the willow rounds waiting to be picked up.

In an hour or two I'll go out and split enough green willow to finish out the cord rick I didn'dt have enough to finish last winter. Another job waiting is restack a rick of Horse Chestnut that fell over. That stuff is DENSE!!! Probably take a couple years to season.

Well, shucks. Wx report says dry tomorrow and poss Thursday morning then back to rain and showers every day for most of the week. Going out tomorrow and hope that bottom has dried out enough to pick up the rounds I have waiting and maybe do some more brushing to get at the nice looking log hiding in there.

I needto get 6 cords willow for my customer plus a few more for me. That grove is the last one I have found to cut in. It won't last very many more years and my customeer is gonna have to find another source. He's been with me since back in the early 80s. I've already cut off 4 other old customers.

Wondering if my new hat will offend some of the tree huggers LOL. But then again, where I live now it won't be an issue. If I was still in IL, I might run into somebody that would take exception to it. :)

View attachment 1072455
My wife got me this shirt for Father's day last year. I haven't gotten any grief for it yet. 20220619_212718.jpgI do wish it had a man's saw on it,not a MS170!:lol:

I'm looking for a wedge driving axe/hatchet. Looking for recommendations. I know I could search this in other parts of the forum, but this is the thread where I spend most of my time, and I kind of "know" you guys, so I value your opinions more than somebody that I'm not familiar with in other threads. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm not looking for a splitting axe, as I already have some ancient model laying around in my garage, and barely use it. But just something to carry with me to the woodpile, or into my woods to drive wedges when needed.

I looked at the Stihl brand so far, and they've gotten terrible reviews, mostly for split handles. What do you guys suggest I look at, Fiskars maybe?

I'm looking for a wedge driving axe/hatchet. Looking for recommendations. I know I could search this in other parts of the forum, but this is the thread where I spend most of my time, and I kind of "know" you guys, so I value your opinions more than somebody that I'm not familiar with in other threads. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm not looking for a splitting axe, as I already have some ancient model laying around in my garage, and barely use it. But just something to carry with me to the woodpile, or into my woods to drive wedges when needed.

I looked at the Stihl brand so far, and they've gotten terrible reviews, mostly for split handles. What do you guys suggest I look at, Fiskars maybe?
I personally use a 2 lb hammer because that's what I have now. If I was going to buy an axe I'd look at something by Council Tool.
I'm sure the professionals will have better suggestions as to which specific model to choose.
Axes - Council Tool https://counciltool.com/product-category/axes/

Funny stuff for sure.
I won't be supporting or saying anything positive about that beer company after their woke messaging recently.
Get woke, go broke.

I'm with you on that. I shouldn't wish bad on them, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if all the woke corporations went belly up.

I've never really been into that piss-flavored water anyway lol.

I figured that skunk woke beer was just in with the man food to give to the neighbor that comes over to drink beer but never brings any with.:cheers:
That's the last straw, I'm dumping out that half empty 30 pack of Busch and restocking the fridge with Stroh's.

I use a 6lb sledge, although I think it was kk who suggested a council axe. I'm not sure the narrow back of the fiskers axe would work well, just too narrow and im not that good of a shot lol. If I did more felling regularly where the truck or tractor wasn't close I'd consider getting an axe specifically for driving wedges.

Estwing. I like the metal handle. All steel.

Funny stuff for sure.
I won't be supporting or saying anything positive about that beer company after their woke messaging recently.
Get woke, go broke.
First of all, I’ll say that I don’t agree with the initiative that they are promoting. Secondly, I think when companies do this, it’s a VERY thinly veiled attempt to gain more customers.

I am a live and let live person, so I really don’t care if people want to cut off their body parts and claim to be somebody else, but there are limitations, especially sports.

I drank two bud lights last night, but somebody else paid for them so I’m technically not helping or hurting lol. I probably drink three cases of beer a year, usually Michelob golden light which is an AB product. Doubt they’ll go bankrupt with or without me.
I'm with you on that. I shouldn't wish bad on them, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if all the woke corporations went belly up.
Yup
I've never really been into that piss-flavored water anyway lol.
We always said that about Coors lol

Got the last couple of scrounges split and stacked. I've kept the splits big because it is less dense wood than most of what I burn. Green density 1050kg/m, ADD 620kg/m compared to peppermint at ADD 820kg/m. Stihl, as @dancan would say, better than burning snowballs.

Sunday. That's candlebark down the bottom with the darker orange colour.

View attachment 1072397

Today

View attachment 1072398
Welcome back cowboy!

90B2A3BF-DDF0-4EF9-827B-1982BB143B9D.jpeg

Be careful with them there felling spikes men!! Was a new gallon too!!View attachment 1072541
20 bucks....gone.
Money Dollars GIF by Visionary Music Group

Latest posts

Back