Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an Ash tree milled a couple years ago with no particular use for the wood in mind at the time. Fast forward to this week when I was debating how best to face a corner shelf 4' wide at the front. I need about 11" x 48" board. So, I pulled this 7' board out of my pile:

View attachment 1079834

of course it was about 6 boards down in my stack. It was an old circular saw mill, and it left blade tracks like this:

View attachment 1079843

I ripped it down to the 12" to cover the 11" I need, and then ran it through the planer. (The planer will handle up to 13" so that was another lucky break. Planer did a great job as far as I'm concerned:

View attachment 1079844

I only planed the side I will use as the front. And, I haven't sanded it - in fact, I might not:

View attachment 1079845

I may decide to oil it to bring that grain out a little more, but not sure.
Don't you just love Ash lumber. The pinkish hue and the grain. Better looking than boring Red Oak. My favorite lumber. Wish I could get more before it's gone.

I noticed the saw marks in the first pic and I thought, there's still circle mills operating? Then you confirmed it.

You're just applying danish oil on it and not poly?

Got an Ash tree milled a couple years ago with no particular use for the wood in mind at the time. Fast forward to this week when I was debating how best to face a corner shelf 4' wide at the front. I need about 11" x 48" board. So, I pulled this 7' board out of my pile:

View attachment 1079834

of course it was about 6 boards down in my stack. It was an old circular saw mill, and it left blade tracks like this:

View attachment 1079843

I ripped it down to the 12" to cover the 11" I need, and then ran it through the planer. (The planer will handle up to 13" so that was another lucky break. Planer did a great job as far as I'm concerned:

View attachment 1079844

I only planed the side I will use as the front. And, I haven't sanded it - in fact, I might not:

View attachment 1079845

I may decide to oil it to bring that grain out a little more, but not sure.
Keep in mind, when you only plane one side, "sometimes" it will cause the board to "cup". Maybe you didn't take much off, but you should always take the same amount off both sides.

Nice board!

SR

Don't you just love Ash lumber. The pinkish hue and the grain. Better looking than boring Red Oak. My favorite lumber. Wish I could get more before it's gone.

I noticed the saw marks in the first pic and I thought, there's still circle mills operating? Then you confirmed it.

I love ash. My brother made our built in cabinets with all ash frames and drawer boxes and used river birch from our woods for the faces. Looks awesome.

Come on over, you can play with the Super 1050 with the 45" bar and work the hurt right out!
My new toy might work as well. 026 for scale.20230503_204158.jpg
By itself...
20230503_205024.jpg
It pulls the 36" .404 full comp chisel with authority.

No need for it, I'll probably try to sell it, but it's fun!

Thanks guys for the CAD!

The needle must be leaking on my 026. It floods out with gas pouring out of the muffler. It popped with the choke on, I flipped the choke up one notch and no start. I noticed gas coming out the muffler so I let it sit. I just started it up with no choke and as soon as I let the rpms drop it stalled. The muffler is soaked with gas. What do you fellas think?

Probably something like Danish oil, or even Tung Oil. No poly, it won't be a horizontal surface, nothing ever sitting or spilling on it.

IMG_8100.jpg

If poly is used , the water base won't yellow near as much and will help keep the brightness of that beautiful ash.
I love ash, hickory, and even sassafras. It is soooooo easy to work with compared to hickory. Not quite as pretty tho. If stained, it can pass for oak to the untrained eye.

The needle must be leaking on my 026. It floods out with gas pouring out of the muffler. It popped with the choke on, I flipped the choke up one notch and bo start. I noticed gas coming out the muffler so I let it sit. I just started it up with no choke and as soon as I let the rpms drop it stalled. The muffler is soaked with gas. What do you fellas think?
Sounds like a fuel lever issue or carb gasket issue. Also, make sure your tank vent is working OK.

I'm making a meatloaf for supper, it's venison/pork mix and I don't like bland food, so it's spiced up quite a bit.

One thing I like to add to my meat is garlic or in this case Ramps. My back woods are full of ramps, everything you see on the ground in this pict. are Ramps,

Resized-20230503-142441-S.jpg

and it doesn't take long to get all that you want, when you can get them by the handful,

Resized-20230503-143004-S.jpg

So, I collected a good amount and cleaned them right out in the woods, once home I cut up quite a few of them and put them in the meatloaf, that's now in a cast iron skillet in the oven.

SR
Dang...made meatloaf tonight...invited a friend and his family...could have used some o them 😁
Now...need to find some Ramp starters or seeds 😁

Latest posts

Back