Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 1129542
Cutting by eye sometimes produces pieces that are a hair long .. this one is a bunch of hairs long! Kitty corner it is.
Thats actually a very nice pic Jeff.
We should have a bit of a comp who can post the best fire photo. I won't be posting any wood burner pics any time soon as it will be shorts and tee shirt weather for the next 5 months.

Y
Find the pile with a drone and turn him in!

Squeaking around rules is one thing, blatantly wrecking others hunts is another.
A few years ago I found 4 deer stands surrounding multiple blocks of salt and minerals. a few bags of feed and apples. I hung a note on one stand saying that I reported the location of the stands to Mass Fish and game. I also unloaded a pile on the salt block. The next time I went in there the stands were all gone. The food and blocks were still there.

I'll get to do some scrounging soon. I was cleaning up the leaves at my elderly neighbour's house yesterday. While pushing dead tree branches into the woods in his back field I noticed he had two severe Oak leaners sticking out 30 - 40 feet into the field. The tops are about 8 feet off the ground. One is about 12", the other around 8" in diameter. I tried knocking them down with my tractor bucket without any success. These will be fun to drop. They look like a rainbow. I'll get pictures when I drop them. I get the wood too. There is also a nice Cherry tree that I will be cleaning up for him that is on the edge of the field now. I moved it out of the field yesterday for him. The guy that hays his field for him refused to do it this year because of the overhanging trees, the Cherry tree and way too many branches in the field.

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, but for those of you who grind your own meat, do you have this particular model:
https://www.ruralking.com/lem-countertop-meat-grinder-8-575-watt-1224
It's only 3/4 HP. Is that enough to get the job done? Not looking for speed because it would only be around 50#? at a time. Just power. Had a HF model and it burned up right away.
Good price?

Been snowing here about an inch on the ground
We had about the same here before it turned to rain. I went out to pick up some Thanksgiving related items at the grocery store during the snow. On the way home there were street signs all over the road near an intersection! Seems someone drove over the narrow curbed median while making a left turn into the cross street and mowed down about a half dozen signs. Visibility was very bad at the time so I stopped and put my 4 way flashers on to warn other drivers--they could go around by driving in the bike lane. I called the local PD and two cars showed up in less than two minutes. They blocked the road off with their vehicles and had all their lights on. The two officers removed the debris from the road and advised DPW.

It wasn't that I couldn't remove the debris, it was the risk involved at that intersection... one of those 4-5 lane crossing 3-4 lane ones with weather related poor visibility. Some years ago the dentist two doors down from me stopped to help a motorist under similar weather conditions. For his effort he was struck by a car and suffered a traumatic brain injury that ended his career. Marty was a really nice and personable guy, and very competent dentist, before the collision. After the collision he barely had a personality and struggled to perform tasks even after many months of rehabilitation. Fortunately/Unfortunately I learn from others' mistakes in judgement...

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, but for those of you who grind your own meat, do you have this particular model:
https://www.ruralking.com/lem-countertop-meat-grinder-8-575-watt-1224
It's only 3/4 HP. Is that enough to get the job done? Not looking for speed because it would only be around 50#? at a time. Just power. Had a HF model and it burned up right away.
Good price?
Haven't used that model, or any real king model. Cabellas isn't far off from my place. We were using their little 1/2hp all plastic model for years till it went belly up. Then we got one of these from cabellas, it's night and day faster then the old white one.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1hp-carnivore-meat-grinderWe just got it last year. Was kinda expensive, but it was split 7 ways so not bad $ per person.

Haven't used that model, or any real king model. Cabellas isn't far off from my place. We were using their little 1/2hp all plastic model for years till it went belly up. Then we got one of these from cabellas, it's night and day faster then the old white one.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1hp-carnivore-meat-grinderWe just got it last year. Was kinda expensive, but it was split 7 ways so not bad $ per person.
I looked at the LEM site and this one can't be that powerful for the price. Probably same as your cabela's model.

Back