Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the gravy then noodle the big stuff. Looks like red oak so should split with the fiskars pretty easy.
Tried noodling off one and the center was solid as a rock! The small stuff was splitting beautifully. Love this red oak, very happy to take what I can get. Once the easy stuff’s gone I’ll spend some time on the big pieces. Just tough to get to some the way it’s all stacked.

A guy I used to work with gave me the go ahead to take as much as I wanted from some trees they had taken down. Some really big stuff that I don’t have enough bar for, or the muscle to split by hand, so doing what I can over the next few days after work. Hoping to pull at least 2 more trailer loads of easy wood out then have the hard stuff left if need be
Perfect excuse for buying a bigger saw 😀

I want one! What do you have in there for a heat source??
A small electric heater. The seedlings go on little heating pads as do the micro green sprouts (new).
I got a heater meant for a much larger greenhouse so it runs at very low power. Maintains 42*. House is 8x6.

Make time my good man. You love to cook, grow your own veggies and you'll wonder how you lived without.
We hardly bought anything from the store during the season. Freezer is full of cut and whole toms, beans, bunch of fruit from the trees; dried toms, cucumbers, and zucchini. It is a blast to go out and pick dinner :p

Peppers, lettuce, broccoli in the greenhouse. Garlic, onions, carrots, snap peas still outside. Only into the 20s so far this winter.View attachment 1141252
Are these 2023 plants that you brought inside to extend their growing season? Can you replant in 2024? You've started seedlings for 2024 already?

Are these 2023 plants that you brought inside to extend their growing season? Can you replant in 2024? You've started seedlings for 2024 already?
The hot peppers were dug up and transferred. Everything else is new . The plan is to see what we can start and grow through the winter. We’ve been harvesting lettuce and micro greens so far. Most of the peppers keep producing. Garlic and onions are for next season.

Good evening guys.
Been a bit. Still cranking out the hrs in the truck, working on the barn and hanging with family any other time.
Ready for this winter solstice to happen and the daylight to get a bit longer.
Hope you're all well.
Saving this in case I ever make it to a GTG in Australia :laugh: .

G'day fellers,

Happy new year, hope you all had a great Christmas with your families. I'm gradually catching up on the occasional scrounge amongst the other stuff.

The bloke in this video, Malcolm Douglas was a well know and regarded outdoorsman, did a heap of nature programs and docos. He has been gone now for 15 years at least As it happens, my dad knew him quite well, having been in Scouts with him as a teenager. Malcolm was a good bloke.

Latest posts

Back