Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought at this point this pic was taken I had had enough but then I took a couple more wheels off. I have the log propped and it has been relatively good going for a big log. There are a couple more rounds I can take off it, beyond which it has dead blackberry and branches piled around it. There is some more at the smaller end, and then there are a swag of fallen trees to keep working on.

20240114_130247.jpg

20240114_132327.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Started off the day with a 5km run, then a couple of egg rolls.

I had some company.

View attachment 1144133

Suitably fuelled, I went back out to a tree that Roscoe and I made a start on back in June. Very fat trunk. Termite pipe up the middle but mostly good.

View attachment 1144134
Your stove stop working? Runny yolks! Yuck! :laugh: I had a friend identical to yours. Had to do a double take. She was always around me when I had food. Miss that critter.

What size/gauge bar you have on that saw?

Your stove stop working? Runny yolks! Yuck! :laugh: I had a friend identical to yours. Had to do a double take. She was always around me when I had food. Miss that critter.

What size/gauge bar you have on that saw?

My wood is ugly and my eggs suck :laugh: .

Limby has a 25in bar. I'm still dithering about getting a long bar for him.

My wood is ugly and my eggs suck :laugh: .

Limby has a 25in bar. I'm still dithering about getting a long bar for him.
It's a tough life. Hang in there @Cowboy254 sure glad your wife isn't there tho forcing you to do awful things like fishing. Makes me shudder to even thing about being forced to go fishin. :omg:

5AM. -18, 2days of whiteout. Not much snow, just colder than I like.. Wood burner in basement and it can’t keep up with these temps. Burning some LP.
I was looking at the temps out your way last night :cold: . They will be here tomorrow morning, saying 7 with wind in the teens, it's currently a toasty 13 with wind in the teens :havingarest::lol:.
Don't worry though, it will change soon enough.
Wouldn't want to be like this guy thinking it won't lol.

Why the sad face @SimonHS :(.
He got what he wanted lol.
Besides it's all cyclical anyway, that's where the weather records come from.

I find it interesting that we get all overly concerned of things that have been changing for yrs, as if we have an understanding of them and the long term effects they have. So much we know so little about.

We had a 2” rain over the x-mas weekend. Tiles were dripping for a few days. Des Moines river went up 2 feet. Whether was on the warm side for Nov.-Dec. Had all the lawn leaves chewed up and cleaned up the mower for the winter. A week later it wouldn’t start. Tore the old Grazer completely apart to get at stuff, safety switches, replace belts, etc. It was 35-40’s degrees in the shed. Not perfect but got it running and back together. Wanted to get some wood cut, lot of standing dead mulberry, but with the snow and cold I’m done for the winter.

5AM. -18, 2days of whiteout. Not much snow, just colder than I like.. Wood burner in basement and it can’t keep up with these temps. Burning some LP.
Same here. -6F this morning, which is unusual for our area. Little Heatilator can't keep up so the furnace is running.

You guys up in Montana and Idaho need to close that door of the North West Passage and keep that cold air where it belongs :laugh: .

Same here. -6F this morning, which is unusual for our area. Little Heatilator can't keep up so the furnace is running.

You guys up in Montana and Idaho need to close that door of the North West Passage and keep that cold air where it belongs :laugh: .
I've got jokes about leaving doors/borders open and IL, but some may take offense...
Besides I'm watching my social credit score ;).

A couple years ago a friend dropped off 3 20" bars from his 039. He gave the power head to someone else, who didn't want the burnt up bars. Tips were purple from running dull chains, oil set on low, etc. I saved the one good bar and put it on my 290, changed the sprocket to 3/8, opened up the exhaust a little. Bugger just runs way over it's pay grade. A while back the 290 started acting up. It would be revving great, cutting like mad, and die for a split second, like some one flipped the switch on and off real fast. Instantly it would be back at wide WOT. My wife bought me an MS 251 for our anniversary, so I've been using it for my 18" and under wood. A big storm blew down 20 or so of my 24"-30" White Oaks, so I've been using the old 290 more. It got to the point it was "cutting off" a couple times an hour. I took it in to my shop and he pulled the cover off, took one finger and poked the plug wire, it was loose. The air filter kept the wire pushed down on the plug enough it couldn't come all the way off, but occasionally loose contact. Well, that was a cheap fix. I threw that bar away and was going to buy a new one. Then got to thinking, I have a brand new 25" bar for the 660 I never use, with a brand new chain. I'm going to stick it on the 290 and see how it does. If I just cut the normal stuff I use the 290 for, and don't lean on it, which I never do because my chains are always sharp, I don't see where the saw knows the difference? I'll let you know how it does. No, I'm not trying the 36" next week.

Latest posts

Back