Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first car I wanted to buy was a Black 58 Thunderbird that was for sale at a gas station that was owned by my friend's uncle for $500. I was 16 and my father would not allow me to buy it!

When I was 18 I purchased my first car, a Black 67 Mustang Fastback with a 289 - 4 speed. I mistakenly purchased it at night. It needed new brakes in all 4 corners (had to borrow the money to do them) and there was a trail of oil smoke in back of it, so I learned how to rebuild a car engine (we had previously monkeyed with lawn mower engines). I sent the heads out to be done and did rings and rod bearings w/o removing the block from the car.

A friend of mine still talks about seeing sparks flying off the crank as I honed the cylinders with my drill.

Added a 600 Holley and dual exhaust (thrush mufflers - LOUD), and I never got beat by another 289 or 283 (and there were lots of them out there at the time).

I could even beat my good friends 69 Z-28 to 60 (after that he pulled away from me), but it drove him crazy that I could do that!

I think if I put a 289 Hi per cam in it and headers he would have been in trouble! (Like Shelby did with the GT-350s).
My first was a '69 Caddy Sedan DeVille I bought for $125. I spent a thousand on tires, and alignment, and maintenance items long overdue, before I could drive it. I did not soup it up, but after the initial thousand, it provided trouble-free driving from age 16 to my child's birth after college and a good career start. I think I owned and drove it regularly for more than 10 years. It went away as a demo-derby car! Did well as I recall, but I could not bring myself to go watch it's demise! I loved that car. It could get me and 7 friends anywhere in "style", and all at 8mpg.

My first was a '69 Caddy Sedan DeVille I bought for $125. I spent a thousand on tires, and alignment, and maintenance items long overdue, before I could drive it. I did not soup it up, but after the initial thousand, it provided trouble-free driving from age 16 to my child's birth after college and a good career start. I think I owned and drove it regularly for more than 10 years. It went away as a demo-derby car! Did well as I recall, but I could not bring myself to go watch it's demise! I loved that car. It could get me and 7 friends anywhere in "style", and all at 8mpg.
Sedan DeVille for a first car. How do you move up from that? :surprised3:

Ah... a kindred soul... My first car was a '72 Buick Electra Custom Limited 4 dr. that I got for $600. The previous owner gave me all the service records... there was no neglect. Initially I thought the guy bordered on fanatical but it didn't take long to realize that the car needed a lot of maintenance. The dual exhaust system was good for maybe two years. The short tire life was my doing... the 5,000 lb car would grind rubber off the tires in the turns... turns taken at speeds it wasn't equipped to manage well. 😜 Spent a lot of time under the hood... water pump, alternator, distributer, tune ups, belts, hoses, etc. Between the cold weather and my then driving style it got about 4 1/2 mpg in the winter with the 455 and forever open 4-barrel. The speed alert on the speedometer kept me out of trouble on the highway... compared to other cars I'd been in the sense of high speed was missing. For a kid it was an expensive car to drive. I do believe that it was in part responsible for me getting a job as a sales office clerk at the Ford dealership when I was a teen. This as when the general manager asked me if I had a car and I mentioned the Buick he smiled.

Little something to wake up the taste buds on a cold morning. I call it my "Texas Scramble" Warm cast iron skillet. Add coconut oil. Add sliced and diced ham. Brown nicely. Slice mushrooms add to ham. Slice and dice some tomatoes and green chili peppers. Add and cook down to get rid of extra moisture. Whisk some eggs. Pour into pan. Stir until the eggs are cooked. Optionally throw on some shredded cheddar cheese after spooning it onto your plate. Bon Apetite! :drinkingcoffee: Best with coffee for those that indulge.

Attachments

• TexasScramble.jpg
    TexasScramble.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 0
My first car got it at 13 me and my dad redid the car . Wasn’t that bad rust wise as it was only 8 years old and had 43k miles on it but the owner rear ended another car . 20181110_154423 2.jpg 1963 Hawk 289 Studebaker with a Paxton blower super T10 4spd factory traction bars and Eaton 3.73 posi .Car also had factory disc brakes . I put a 62 nose in it from a parts car. Had it until I bought my house sold it to another guy in the club . His son still has it .

Little something to wake up the taste buds on a cold morning. I call it my "Texas Scramble" Warm cast iron skillet. Add coconut oil. Add sliced and diced ham. Brown nicely. Slice mushrooms add to ham. Slice and dice some tomatoes and green chili peppers. Add and cook down to get rid of extra moisture. Whisk some eggs. Pour into pan. Stir until the eggs are cooked. Optionally throw on some shredded cheddar cheese after spooning it onto your plate. Bon Apetite! :drinkingcoffee: Best with coffee for those that indulge.
We call that Breakfast Medoly. One skillet breakfast. Substitute sausage or bacon for the ham, add diced potatoes. Staple for every camping trip.

My first car got it at 13 me and my dad redid the car . Wasn’t that bad rust wise as it was only 8 years old and had 43k miles on it but the owner rear ended another car . View attachment 1145524 1963 Hawk 289 Studebaker with a Paxton blower super T10 4spd factory traction bars and Eaton 3.73 posi .Car also had factory disc brakes . I put a 62 nose in it from a parts car. Had it until I bought my house sold it to another guy in the club . His son still has it .
nice! we had a few '53s... and i have a couple of '53 stories of youth... lol. one before i had a driver's license... oh, boy!! what an evening that was...

til we got pulled over! lol

1705592836514.png

nice! we had a few '53s... and i have a couple of '53 stories of youth... lol. one before i had a driver's license... oh, boy!! what an evening that was...

til we got pulled over! lol

View attachment 1145536
There’s a GREAT saying, poor decisions at night lead to great stories the next morning…

Back