Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met with a sawmill guy yesterday to look at dad's wood lot. One of the few around that will do small acreage. Only 50-60 trees but all really nice. Red,white, black and chestnut oak. He told me the white oak goes to the whiskey barrel makers. Most of the trees are limb free 30-40 feet. Gonna be lots of tops for farwood.
Whiskey barrels… Definitely sounds highly valuable to me.

I don’t think anybody on here has ever discussed the fact that their trees may turn into whiskey barrels.

Good morning gentlemen.

Had a long day yesterday. Left at 5 AM and got home at 10 PM. Had a bunch of meetings down in Saint Paul.

It’s a mild 28° here and it’s going to be 47 by the end of next week. This is by far the most mild winter I’ve ever encountered in northern Minnesota.

Good morning gentlemen.

Had a long day yesterday. Left at 5 AM and got home at 10 PM. Had a bunch of meetings down in Saint Paul.

It’s a mild 28° here and it’s going to be 47 by the end of next week. This is by far the most mild winter I’ve ever encountered in northern Minnesota.
Those 200 pieces of cast iron are really holding the heat. :yes:

I think the “too fast for conditions” (Illinois, where I grew up) and “following too closely” (Georgia, where I live now) are usually used to cite someone when they have hit another car or something. You can hardly argue with it when the definition of following too closely is rear ending the car in front of you. Or if on an ice covered road at 10 mph you still slide off and hit a mailbox.

Not going to be used by a cop having a long shift to just harass somebody he sees on a street all by themselves. Last thing you want to do when you just want to get home is pull someone over to create paperwork for yourself.

Whiskey barrels… Definitely sounds highly valuable to me.

I don’t think anybody on here has ever discussed the fact that their trees may turn into whiskey barrels.
Pics of potential whiskey barrels. 🥃 The last pic is the biggest oak in the wood. Not getting cut.
20240124_122022.jpg
20240124_122154.jpg

20240124_122159.jpg20240124_122300.jpg20240124_122013.jpg

We have that too “Unsafe speed for conditions”. It’s also used in good weather, we have a 55 mph speed limit county wide. But on curvy roads it’s not safe to go 55, you need to reduce accordingly. They do this instead of posting lower limits in all of the corners.
we prob need that here, too! like unsafe @ any speed! :drinking:

we have had several bad head-ons of late! no one walked away!! ~

well, i am itchin' to do something! :blob2: this cabin fever is for the birds! over 12" rains 🌧️ in some areas already and alert extended for another24 hrs!! :surprised3: neighborhoods by the dam being evac'd... roads into some, washed out! and many will if not already... going to get wet! we have not watered garden this week! 😋 i enjoy seeing the many projects here on the AS! mine: several things come to mine. to do! need doing! should get done! tuff to decide at times. i have been known to drag my feet. but i am working on improving the situation....

zzzzxpr.jpg

I scrounged a few snow shovels (for free) last year from a neighbor who was moving to FL.

My wife complained a few days ago that the top handle on one of them (plastic) broke (it split partly). I removed the plastic top handle, and to my surprise the turquoise painted shaft was actually REAL WOOD! It also had a thin metal strip along the front edge of the plastic shovel!

I thought to myself "This is just as good as finding a cast iron pot"!!!

So, I lightly sanded the inside of the plastic handle, and the top of the wooden shaft and coated them with PL Premium and put a hose clamp (temporarily) around the plastic handle to hold things in place and now it should be as good as new again! Waste not want not!

I interviewed a guy today who has a woodmizer! The lumber gods have smiled upon me!!!!! Offered him a job on the spot.
Now it wasn't because he has a woodmizer, that's just a bonus. He actually is retired from this field and wants to come back as a " dummy " for running money. Kind of what I hope to do May 1st.!!!!!! I've had a fella like him before. He told me in the interview, " I just want spending money for 5 years. I will get er done with no problems and no drama". He did just that !!! Hated to see him go.

Are you talking about 1/2" kerf?
No sir I 'm sorry I did not explain that well. Every other tooth is only half the width of the others. They call it a scoring tooth only taking half of the material and the tooth behind it finishes the cut. Someone posted a good pic of it a page or so back.

Back