Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you make pizza sauce in cast iron? Or is it one of those no-nos like rice?
You can cook anything you want in cast iron but storing food in non coated cast iron (especially acidic food) is never recommended. If you are slow cooking something acidic like a tomato based sauce your results may vary. Long story short it is not really recommended for tomatoes unless you are only cooking for a few hours or less.

I'll brown burger and/or sausage in iron and throw in marinara with no ill effects. I will also make lasagna in iron. Once it is cool, I will transfer leftovers to a different container and soak the iron in hot water to get any acidic sauce out of it. I have done cacciatore with no leaching issues either.

You can cook anything you want in cast iron but storing food in non coated cast iron (especially acidic food) is never recommended. If you are slow cooking something acidic like a tomato based sauce your results may vary. Long story short it is not really recommended for tomatoes unless you are only cooking for a few hours or less.

I'll brown burger and/or sausage in iron and throw in marinara with no ill effects. I will also make lasagna in iron. Once it is cool, I will transfer leftovers to a different container and soak the iron in hot water to get any acidic sauce out of it. I have done cacciatore with no leaching issues either.
Yes, I meant like stewing tomatoes or sauces. Sound like it's best to add the sauce (or rice) to the dish and not the other way around.

Yes, I meant like stewing tomatoes or sauces. Sound like it's best to add the sauce (or rice) to the dish and not the other way around.
To be safe, yes. You could do sauce in a well seasoned pan but the acid also attacks the seasoning so it will deplete the nice shiny coating.

It's a shame they went belly up. Customer service beyond reproach. There was a commercial firewood guy on here that kept bad mouthing them. He bragged how many hundreds of cord of wood he split with his processor. Then said he bought the DHT "Just" to split big gnarly knots he couldn't put through his processor. Their warrantee was specific, no commercial use. He argued he only split a few cord with the DHT, so it was a "home owner unit". He showed pics of wedges bent and stuck in giant knots. DHT was a member of this forum and gave us fantastic discounts. They gave him wedges, cylinders, and I think a new beam he twisted. He just kept bad mouthing them, so they started posting receipts of stuff they gave him, right up to a brand new, next size bigger machine.

The reviews we got back then were always good. I had just bought a TSC 35 or 37 ton machine and was happy with it. So, when Lowes started carrying them I looked them over. They looked like they were all common over the counter parts. A friend just rebuilt my old Huskee/TSC 22 ton cylinder for $25, plus the $11 kit. He said the seal kits have every thing for any cylinder of that size. It didn't have to be a Speeko kit, who built the Huskee's. I wouldn't worry about parts. Actually, I've started looking for Box Store splitters with bad cylinders at auctions.
I bought a 35T Black Diamond splitter from Bomgaars's 5years ago. The black paint is peeling away exposing a gray color. I wonder if it is a DHT splitter that was just repainted. They are pretty much all the same.

Good day fellas, you cast iron nuts have inspired me. Home from the office for lunch. Bacon wrapped sirloin medallions, seared in a Lodge no. 8 and finished off in the oven. Any horseradish fans out there? I quite enjoy it with most things beef.View attachment 1147534View attachment 1147535
Horseradish. Only if it burns your eyes and nose when you eat it.:numberone:

Good day fellas, you cast iron nuts have inspired me. Home from the office for lunch. Bacon wrapped sirloin medallions, seared in a Lodge no. 8 and finished off in the oven. Any horseradish fans out there? I quite enjoy it with most things beef.View attachment 1147534View attachment 1147535
Those look perfect. I love horseradish. I usually makes spicy horseradish with sour cream to make dipping sauce.

Looks good to me. Maybe a little rough bottom on the inside, but most of mine are too. What brand? None of mine are marked with inches.
Birmingham Stove & Range Co. Might be towards the end of the Red Mountain series. I will defer to others with more experience. 🍳 Just finished scrubbing it with hot water and an SOS pad. Then did a stove top seasoning. Think I had it hot enough the paper towels were getting very dark brown.
Edit: After further review it looks more likely that it is 1967 or shortly there after Century series. Looks like they were made with a whole lot less machining and or care than my #5 BSR pan. Maybe @svk or @farmer steve will chime in. I think it will cook fine and the food will taste just dandy on my fine paper plate.

Back