Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old farmstead fireplaces and a few antiques.
awesome! 👍 i can see the pots hanging, the fire going, managing the coals and other cooking pots out front... any idea how old the farmhouse is? or when built!

i would like to cook in mine. in LR. add pot holder. fab, drill, tap, etc... still in ideas stage!! 😋

thanks...

Went and picked them up this morning I know everyone likes pictures .i didn’t even have to lift one he had forks on a Cat track skid steer . I took three off for my basement to make some shelves . View attachment 1149547
Score!

Last year I scored several sheets for $10 a piece of 1/2" treated from the ex wife of a lumberyard worker. I was tickled pink to say the least

Went and picked them up this morning I know everyone likes pictures .i didn’t even have to lift one he had forks on a Cat track skid steer . I took three off for my basement to make some shelves . View attachment 1149547
most shelves about 12" wide. 80 ought to do the job!!! 🤩

P1010001.jpg

I had my 12ga./30-06 bbl. set on that day, and I shot three big bulls for my freezer.

Here's how it shoots,

412-Scope-Check-Target.jpg

It's a great system.

SR
That’s pretty cool! And the 06 isn’t rimmed…

My uncle had a cool savage, it was triple douce over 20ga

I’d love to find a 30-30 over 12ga for hunting

That fireplace could be the twin of the one in my family's house ('til 1974) in Wakefield MA. Two chimneys and 4 fireplaces. The entire back wall was brick and incorporated the chimneys and fireplaces.

Just discovered the house's Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Sweetser_House
These fireplaces are all central to the house. There is one huge chimney that has all 3 fireplaces going into it. All the fireplace flues went into one main chimney. Around 2000 we had that main chimney rebuilt with a separate flue for each fireplace. In the kitchen that we think was added on back when they made soapstone sinks we found a dug well under the floor. There is an old cookstove in there with a separate chimney. There used to be an original ice box in there. Up the hill across the street on our woodlot is where there are two gravity feed wells that fed the house until about 2006. We installed an artesian well at that time. I upgraded the house to a 200 amp service at that time also. I'll have to check out that link. Your old house ed is huge. Our farm is a saltbox cape. I'll post a picture up soon of it.

awesome! 👍 i can see the pots hanging, the fire going, managing the coals and other cooking pots out front... any idea how old the farmhouse is? or when built!

i would like to cook in mine. in LR. add pot holder. fab, drill, tap, etc... still in ideas stage!! 😋

thanks...
1735 - 1750

That’s pretty cool! And the 06 isn’t rimmed…

My uncle had a cool savage, it was triple douce over 20ga

I’d love to find a 30-30 over 12ga for hunting
You mean like this?

Savage-2400-01.jpg

Savage 2400, they were built in 12ga./.308 Win, and 12ga./.222 Rem., mine is a .222 Rem..

Your uncle had a Savage 24, I've had several of those over the years, the 2400's are a major step up.

SR

Yeaaa, I'm waiting for GM to introduce their NEW 8.3 Duramax diesel. 600 HP, 1200 Torque.

Now, that's going to be a powerhouse!

SR
I've been watching that with some interest, gm is lagging behind right now in the light/medium duty duesel power area. Ford and ram have the dura turd beat in torque output and ford has them both spanked in gcwr.
As of right now it's purely a rumor and no one can get gm to give a yes or no answer weather its in development or been scrapped. Some places are saying a 2026 release date, but gm will not comment on or off record.
Presumably the 6.6l can't meet emissions at those power levels without significant modifications to the aftertreatment systems. The larger displacement let's them keep lower cylinder pressure and reduce nox output. Basically one of the same reason cummins jumped up to a 6.7l from the 5.9l.
Which leads me to my final question, what's the point? Plenty of 8-9l engines out there that already do 1200+ ft lbs and push 400-500 hp.

You mean like this?

Savage-2400-01.jpg

Savage 2400, they were built in 12ga./.308 Win, and 12ga./.222 Rem., mine is a .222 Rem..

Your uncle had a Savage 24, I've had several of those over the years, the 2400's are a major step up.

SR
I’ll have to read up on the 2400’s

I know they made the 24 in 30-30 over 12ga

I wonder if they made the 2400 in it too

I’ll have to read up on the 2400’s

I know they made the 24 in 30-30 over 12ga

I wonder if they made the 2400 in it too
Like I already said, .308 and .222, at least that's what was imported by Savage, other cartridges were chambered for the European market.

The 412's were another step up from the 2400's...

I really like the 7x65R's, they chambered 412's in that cartridge.

SR

Back