Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's was my job for today. A leaking water pump on a 2014 Explorer with 94k. I wonder how big the bonus was for the engineer that designed a smaller engine package by using the water pump as the idler for the timing chain?:buttkick:View attachment 1153819
12 hours for a water pump!
That was a draindead idea. They probably never increased the water pump bearing size.

but if I had to go with a 3 saw plan, it would be 50, 70, 90, or 35/40, 50, 70.
My favorite 3-4 saw plan: (all ported running square file 3/8): MS 261-18"; MS462s 20" + 24" Hybrid (440/460) 28".

Additional options: Ported MS 460 28" and various 660 and a 661 with bars up to 36". The 661 has 32" 404 chain.

If(let's be clear that's not the plan), but if I had to go with a 3 saw plan, it would be 50, 70, 90, or 35/40, 50, 70. For jobs I typically get by with the latter, a 90 sure can be nice on a big solid stump.
My 3 saw plan ended up being the new model 550XP, OEM 372XP and my 394XP. Then I added a little worked over 440 and a worked over 254XP. I really like that 254XP with a 3/8" chain with a 20" bar. I have dropped a few 24" Ash with it recently and it just keeps on kicking.

Yeah, they do fine. I doubt you've actually ever overloaded the truck. They have pretty high gvwr/ cgvwr.
They do lag in power behind ford and torque in ram. Gvw and gcwr is lower on gm too. Now we're talking about 36k lbs vs 40klbs which realistically should never be behind a pick up truck but that's what all the 8.3L duramax bs started.
I'd really like to drive a heavy duty diesel one ton Dodge and Ford while towing a nice load of logs. Just to see the difference between the three. I hear all kinds of nightmares about newer LML Duramax pickups like 2015-2018 and even newer about faulty stock fuel systems that are destroying the motors. Never heard anything good about a Ford 6.0 and herd the 6.7 isnt much better. Everyone wants a Dodge 12 valve with a standard. My dad had an 89 F350 7.3 crew cab. Eight foot bed and a standard trans, but that was before they started putting turbos on them and calling them Powerstrokes. I'm just hoping my 08 Duramax doesn't give me to much trouble anytime soon. I can't work on anything new these days when it comes to car or truck engines. Shortly after I bought the Duramax. When towing big loads to town. (45 miles of twisty mountain roads) I had an issue with losing power and the dash reading "Ruduced Engine Power" on the cluster then it would go into limp mode. That really worried me considering I'd just bought it used and for a decent penny fir this blue collar boy. I took it to a reputable wrencher in town. Turns out it was just a dirty MAF sensor. Boy was that a relief! Been running fine since. 🤞

I'm just hoping my 08 Duramax doesn't give me to much trouble anytime soon. I can't work on anything new these days when it comes to car or truck engines. Shortly after I bought the Duramax. When towing big loads to town. (45 miles of twisty mountain roads) I had an issue with losing power and the dash reading "Ruduced Engine Power" on the cluster then it would go into limp mode. That really worried me considering I'd just bought it used and for a decent penny fir this blue collar boy. I took it to a reputable wrencher in town. Turns out it was just a dirty MAF sensor. Boy was that a relief! Been running fine since. 🤞
Friend had same truck as you,, 200k and one o ring. Towed a big TT
I have same truck,, one issue,, 60k on it. Frost plug on the drive shaft yolk developed a leak,,, good sealant fix that.

Friend had same truck as you,, 200k and one o ring. Towed a big TT
I have same truck,, one issue,, 60k on it. Frost plug on the drive shaft yolk developed a leak,,, good sealant fix that.
Hey Bob.
What's a TT, also not familiar with the frost plug on the yoke, is that a Canadian thing.
Just hit 100k(miles that is) on the Volvo semi I drive last week. It was assigned to me last late last Feb, it ran off the production line 1/14/23, pretty nice ride.
20240205_115247.jpg
Not the one I drive, but nearly identical.
20240208_122218.jpg

I'd really like to drive a heavy duty diesel one ton Dodge and Ford while towing a nice load of logs. Just to see the difference between the three. I hear all kinds of nightmares about newer LML Duramax pickups like 2015-2018 and even newer about faulty stock fuel systems that are destroying the motors. Never heard anything good about a Ford 6.0 and herd the 6.7 isnt much better. Everyone wants a Dodge 12 valve with a standard. My dad had an 89 F350 7.3 crew cab. Eight foot bed and a standard trans, but that was before they started putting turbos on them and calling them Powerstrokes. I'm just hoping my 08 Duramax doesn't give me to much trouble anytime soon. I can't work on anything new these days when it comes to car or truck engines. Shortly after I bought the Duramax. When towing big loads to town. (45 miles of twisty mountain roads) I had an issue with losing power and the dash reading "Ruduced Engine Power" on the cluster then it would go into limp mode. That really worried me considering I'd just bought it used and for a decent penny fir this blue collar boy. I took it to a reputable wrencher in town. Turns out it was just a dirty MAF sensor. Boy was that a relief! Been running fine since. 🤞
I doubt you'll have the issues with your 08 the newer trucks are having. My brother in law does 99% of the diesel warranty work for the chevy dealer he works at. I wouldn't own a diesel 15 or newer. Too many horror stories from him.
The 6.0l Ford were fine once deleted and studs added. The 6.4l (international) was/is a boat anchor, the 6.7l (Ford scorpion ) is a great engine. We've owned every rendition of 6.9/7.3 idi and every version of powerstroke up to the 6.0l. I haven't personally owned a 6.4 or 6.7, no one wants a 6.4, most would take a 6.0 these days, including myself. If I could afford it I'd jump into a 6.7l and call it a day. Since I'm cheap and like old junk I stick with the cummins as my preferred diesel. Hence why I swap them into my old ford's.
The newer trucks all pretty much do the same job, as fast as you'd like them to. Kinda at a point of absurdity with the hp and torque ratings in the new trucks. The axles, brakes and frames are the limiting factors.

I doubt you'll have the issues with your 08 the newer trucks are having. My brother in law does 99% of the diesel warranty work for the chevy dealer he works at. I wouldn't own a diesel 15 or newer. Too many horror stories from him.
The 6.0l Ford were fine once deleted and studs added. The 6.4l (international) was/is a boat anchor, the 6.7l (Ford scorpion ) is a great engine. We've owned every rendition of 6.9/7.3 idi and every version of powerstroke up to the 6.0l. I haven't personally owned a 6.4 or 6.7, no one wants a 6.4, most would take a 6.0 these days, including myself. If I could afford it I'd jump into a 6.7l and call it a day. Since I'm cheap and like old junk I stick with the cummins as my preferred diesel. Hence why I swap them into my old ford's.
The newer trucks all pretty much do the same job, as fast as you'd like them to. Kinda at a point of absurdity with the hp and torque ratings in the new trucks. The axles, brakes and frames are the limiting factors.
Sounds like sound information from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about it than I.🤣👍

Hey Bob.
What's a TT, also not familiar with the frost plug on the yoke, is that a Canadian thing.
Just hit 100k(miles that is) on the Volvo semi I drive last week. It was assigned to me last late last Feb, it ran off the production line 1/14/23, pretty nice ride.
View attachment 1153952
View attachment 1153953
Now that's a real Truck! 👍

Sounds like sound information from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about it than I.🤣👍
You got a solid truck, few issue will crop up over time, but shouldn't be anything major. I really liked my old bosses 2005 2500. Put a crap load of miles on it. Egr crapped out, glow plugs here and there, tailgate handle liked to break in the cold for some reason. Needed a new front end every few years, but never had an issue with the Allison and nothing major out of the engine. Far as I know it's the shops beater truck now. Had over 300k on it when I left.

You got a solid truck, few issue will crop up over time, but shouldn't be anything major. I really liked my old bosses 2005 2500. Put a crap load of miles on it. Egr crapped out, glow plugs here and there, tailgate handle liked to break in the cold for some reason. Needed a new front end every few years, but never had an issue with the Allison and nothing major out of the engine. Far as I know it's the shops beater truck now. Had over 300k on it when I left.
Good to know. That reassuring! 👍

Hey Bob.
View attachment 1153952
View attachment 1153953
On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again so I'm rollin, rolling, rollin down the hyway. :rock2:

The new trucks are fine, just take care of them and don’t run cheap DEF or fuel. We have customers that drive loads cross country that do just fine.

BUT, when something does break, it’s not going to be cheap. Heck, nothing is cheap anymore….

That said, my favorite all time Duramax was the 2005

No emissions and enough power to haul anything I’m going to try and move

The new trucks are fine, just take care of them and don’t run cheap DEF or fuel. We have customers that drive loads cross country that do just fine.

BUT, when something does break, it’s not going to be cheap. Heck, nothing is cheap anymore….

That said, my favorite all time Duramax was the 2005

No emissions and enough power to haul anything I’m going to try and move
the only feedback I've gotten on the newer ones is from my brother in law. He makes them sound like ticking time bombs. Meh, I like the older stuff better anyway. Dependable, good power, pretty easy to work on for the most part.
Yeah, everything's nuts expensive right now. No doubt about that.
Yep, not a chevy guy, but my old bosses 05 was a great truck. Good power, comfortable to drive towed pretty well.

Latest posts

Back