Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta start someplace.
Here's the first tractor I owned. When I bought it, I did so knowing I wanted to upgrade soon as possible. This one was a manual, with manual steering, two wheel drive, and had 625 hrs iirc. I did some fixing on it and then sent it down the road :hi:. Also notice, no barn in this picture :).
View attachment 1157126
Then I snagged this one up. Same size chassis, but with hydrostatic trans, power steering, 4wd(sort of), and only 88hrs :happy:. Also to be noted, I didn't have a woodshed back then. I'm so glad to be done with tarps on wood :yes:.
View attachment 1157127
My first was an 8N, still have it, skidded many a tree with it. I’d love to get one with a loader one day

Trying to get a 4wd one sooner than later

I looked all over for a bearing spacer today for my Valby chipper cutter shaft. Nobody had one and to order one would be down time and around $40 with shipping. I fired up my WWII LeBlond Regal 13 inch lathe and made one. This lathe was used in a homeowners basement during WWII to make parts for the military. I bought it quite,awhile ago for $300. The size of the spacer is 10mm x 90mm. The ID was unknown. It fit like a glove in the housing. I tore apart the hydraulic valve to reseal it. My new oddball size O rings will be in next week.

Attachments

• 20240226_145003.jpg
    20240226_145003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_150140.jpg
    20240226_150140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I looked all over for a bearing spacer today for my Valby chipper cutter shaft. Nobody had one and to order one would be down time and around $40 with shipping. I fired up my WWII LeBlond Regal 13 inch lathe and made one. This lathe was used in a homeowners basement during WWII to make parts for the military. I bought it quite,awhile ago for $300. The size of the spacer is 10mm x 90mm. The ID was unknown. It fit like a glove in the housing. I tore apart the hydraulic valve to reseal it. My new oddball size O rings will be in next week.
Nice job, looks great.
Got the shop mud sanded this evening (wasn't in this pic).
Hope to prime it tomorrow and paint it by this weekend. Then I can have the neighbor swing by and put all my outlets and switches in and start moving some things in. I can do the trim around things if need be, but I'll try to get that done sooner rather than later. Also need to put some wood on the framed out area around the panel, and then extend the jambs on the door a couple inches.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 10.03.56 PM.png

Truth be told, I don't miss tarping, untarping, tarp sailing, rolling frozen tarps or repairing damaged tarps. Mytee sells the same identical strap in yellow, green, blue or pink to match your underwear, if you're that sorta' trucker. ;););)
Right, I liked the slider kits I hauled the last couple yrs I hauled steel.
I am. I like the red ones, they'd look great on my "hybrid" trailer 😄.
View attachment 1157131
I guess it's available in several colors.
Learn something new all the time.
Not sure what the difference is or if there is in the ratings for lifting vs securing a load, but I'd guess there is one.

Nice job, looks great.
Got the shop mud sanded this evening (wasn't in this pic).
Hope to prime it tomorrow and paint it by this weekend. Then I can have the neighbor swing by and put all my outlets and switches in and start moving some things in. I can do the trim around things if need be, but I'll try to get that done sooner rather than later. Also need to put some wood on the framed out area around the panel, and then extend the jambs on the door a couple inches.
View attachment 1157175
Thanks, your building is coming along nicely.

Right, I liked the slider kits I hauled the last couple yrs I hauled steel.
I am. I like the red ones, they'd look great on my "hybrid" trailer 😄.

Learn something new all the time.
Not sure what the difference is or if there is in the ratings for lifting vs securing a load, but I'd guess there is one.
As the grade goes up, they are rated for lifting, also as the rating goes up the chain will carry triple the load before breaking. That's a poor explanation, but I think you get it.

SR

My first was an 8N, still have it, skidded many a tree with it. I’d love to get one with a loader one day

Trying to get a 4wd one sooner than later
That's awesome.
Just gotta make it happen, but I understand having other priorities. I feel very fortunate to have gotten the deal I did on this one, it was way more than I thought I'd be getting and way quicker. I sold the first one on a Thursday and found this one when the wife and I were getting ready to head out on a date :innocent:. Sent them a message and about 20min later I got a call back, hey honey I said and gave her my cutie pie eyes 😄, and she said sure, lets go😍. I kept them on the phone for nearly an hr so no-one else could call. Got there and laid a pile of cash on the table. Came back three hrs later with a borrowed trailer and truck lol.
Now it's a bit beat up, can't wait to find the next one :happy: .

As the grade goes up, they are rated for lifting, also as the rating goes up the chain will carry triple the load before breaking. That's a poor explanation, but I think you get it.

SR
I get that. I've not done much myself with heavy lifting, but have had many coils lifted off the deck of the truck. One place it was a bit concerning. They lifted the coils up one at a time after I hooked them with a huge chain thru the eye(center of the coil in case someone doesn't know). The lifted them out of a pit where I was parked up over a 20' plus tall wall :surprised3:. I was always watching and planning on what I'd do it one dropped, not sure my planning would have gone far if a 20,000lb coil fell from 25' onto my trailer :laugh:. I pictured myself flying thru the air like a guy at the circus.
How it probably would have looked.

SR
Grade 80 and above are rated for over head use. It's called a safty factor, not a triple rating. The safty factor isn't cart blanc, or static. 3 to 1 would be a minimum, we use a 5 to 1 safty ratio here at work. This breaks it down a bit better.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myteeproducts.com/blog/chain-grades-chart/

Yep, 4 thru the eye and one over top with the coil bumped up against a block held by a chain, hammer down. Didn't matter to me wether it was eye to the front or the side, but either way you better have it tied down. Only time I used straps on a coil was over the top to help hold my tarps, and then one on the back or front to hold the extra.
Glad I don't have to toss tarps anymore, especially lumber tarps :baba:. You missing that 😅.

I was thinking about the color charts, wonder if the different color straps have different ratings. I see the normal yellow, then red and blue on occasion?
Funny how you can do something for so many yrs, but not know about some of the finer details of it. Must be how guys who cut trees for a living feel when they get on AS:laughing:.
we have yellow, green, orange and blue/grey straps. only one that denotes something special is the blue/grey ones, are some sort of special abrasion resistant material, lot stiffer then the regular straps.

Latest posts

Back