Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sign of them yet on Kodiak Island. 🏝️ Since spring is around the corner, the biting insects will follow. I had forgotten about those pesky buggers until now, thanks! 😆 All the more reason to embrace the season and enjoy these cold days collecting firewood. Happy days View attachment 1158451
Looks like KK is making the rounds.🤣

Very nice place.

Somebody has been pooping in my woods.

Attachments

• 20240302_113826.jpg
    20240302_113826.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Those mounting plates look good, but a little tall? You loose at least one board by having to saw underneath them. Not a problem if going after live edge only. How are they mounted to the ladder?
I only use them to get started, once I'm on the flat surface I don't need the ladder!

In a Habitat for Humanity store. They have new packaged chains, all 5$. I ee lots of 3/8, .050, 59 DL. Some of my Homelites take them, Im getting 10 of them. DL's arent marked, you have to open the pouch and count them. Other sizes 1/4 , .043. 325, .050.
I bought a used stove from them two years ago for $100.00
I find them to be a valuable part of the community .

In a Habitat for Humanity store. They have new packaged chains, all 5$. I ee lots of 3/8, .050, 59 DL. Some of my Homelites take them, Im getting 10 of them. DL's arent marked, you have to open the pouch and count them. Other sizes 1/4 , .043. 325, .050.
Think you just won "Saw chain scrounge of the day" honors.:numberone:

Saw my first red-winged blackbirds yesterday. Pretty sure sign of spring.😥
Just got home from my one and only ice-fishing excursion of the season. 54* at the moment, 5" of mushy, honey combed ice and rain in the forecast next week. The red-winged black birds were singing in the cattail marsh the whole time we were there, and everybody caught enough for a meal or two.

Advantage or owning a spinner / breaker set.

Years ago, I found several Oregon Type 90 (3/8”, low profile, narrow kerf) chains, new in the package, on a Sears ‘Clearance’ table for something like $3 each (!). Some odd DL count.

I spun them together into a long length, then broke and spun them into loops to fit my pole saw.

Do that a few times and it pays for the spinner / breaker set.

Philbert

I only use them to get started, once I'm on the flat surface I don't need the ladder!
Yes, I know that. It just seems like your first cut is a little thick. When I was at the sawmill, we always got a 1x4 on the outside and then worked our way in.

Advantage or owning a spinner / breaker set.

Years ago, I found several Oregon Type 90 (3/8”, low profile, narrow kerf) chains, new in the package, on a Sears ‘Clearance’ table for something like $3 each (!). Some odd DL count.

I spun them together into a long length, then broke and spun them into loops to fit my pole saw.

Do that a few times and it pays for the spinner / breaker set.

Philbert
I just might get a spinner. Those 59 DL chains are probably 30$+. They have at least 20 of those left. They probably had 20-30 of the 404 packs. I don't use many of my old 404 saws, but, if I sold one it would be nice to put a new chain on it.

What's this part called? Looks like the two bits from a 3point hitch? [Edit: I figured it out, they are called rose joints. I was talking to the guy whose built the one in the video. He was helpful in providing info and photos to build one.]

336647746_583396840490501_6934125504653439725_n.jpg

There's a guy in the UK making machines for splitting kindling.

Had a friend show up today, saying he needed some pine boards. Lucky for him, there was a pine sitting on the mill, so we milled him some pine boards today,

Resized-20240302-141502-S.jpg

Maybe he will post a picture of what he had on his trailer when he left?

SR

I just might get a spinner. Those 59 DL chains are probably 30$+. They have at least 20 of those left.
I recall, sometime back, someone offering a super deal on 0.058 gauge chain. Maybe 10 loops, or so?

I didn’t need any, but figured, if I did, it would have been worth buying an 0.058 gauge bar to match them, at that price.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back