Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Motocross , and GP racing industry knows a thing or two about 2T oils , I listen to them years ago, and never looked back,for my 2T applications
Right.

I think I remember reading that dirt bikes need "stickier" oil than saws because they are run at WOT for longer periods?

It seems a majority favor the 40:1 Vs 50:1. I have been years at 50:1 with no issues, but I'm not above learning. I firmly believe the one who thinks he has nothing left to learn, is actually the biggest fool of all! I may go to 40:1 for a bit and see how things go. Especially for the vintage mag monsters. I think I would jump in front of a moving train if I smoked my pm 700's or 850!!
I run 32:1 because it is easy to measure 4 ounces per gallon or half pint to 2 gallons.
I trim fencerows and a cemetery with my echo trimmer i run 32:1 if anything it just lasts longer and burns cleaner than 50:1.
Less carbon too.

There are 2 basic things for oil requirements, load and rpm. Higher loads and rpm need more oil to protect an engine. Really chainsaws, even ported fall into a low to mid power output category. Doesn't matter how "powerful" of a saw it is, it's just not a very powerful engine. A 32cc saw even ported is lucky to get 2hp while a stock 32cc zenoah g320 is 3.2hp with a can exhaust. Comparing them to dirt bikes and sleds is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. Saws just don't see the High sustained loads or come close to the power outputs recreational engines do.

There are 2 basic things for oil requirements, load and rpm. Higher loads and rpm need more oil to protect an engine. Really chainsaws, even ported fall into a low to mid power output category. Doesn't matter how "powerful" of a saw it is, it's just not a very powerful engine. A 32cc saw even ported is lucky to get 2hp while a stock 32cc zenoah g320 is 3.2hp with a can exhaust. Comparing them to dirt bikes and sleds is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. Saws just don't see the High sustained loads or come close to the power outputs recreational engines do.
There general knowledge of lubricants and understanding can be applied to , 2T applications , so I go with that , been working for me for many years now , I’ll say one thing there oil quality is superior,

There general knowledge of lubricants and understanding can be applied to , 2T applications , so I go with that , been working for me for many years now ,
I'm not, discrediting the information as bad, just not as applicable to o.p.e. as it would be to other engines is all. I get into fight quite often with guys and our rc engines running excessive ratios for no real reason other then hear say. 25 to 1 and 16 to 1 are "normal" ratios in rc 2 strokes (not nitro/glow engines) but nearly no one that doesn't race can tell you why they run that ratio, other then Jim Bob super moto gp racer runs that ratio in his husqkawsakimaha... so no reason in particular. But the same guy will complain that he has 3 gallons of gas through his rc engine and it's go so much carbon and spooge coming out the exhaust he doesn't know what to do. Usually it's from the excessive oil ratios being used in an engine that doesn't see the high sustained loads the moto gp/ mx riders engines sees, coupled with the guy can't tune an engine if his life depended on it.
It all needs taken into account when selecting what ratio/oil you run. Doesn't mean it's bad information, just needs taken in context with the application you're using it for. (I think that made sense.)

I'm not, discrediting the information as bad, just not as applicable to o.p.e. as it would be to other engines is all. I get into fight quite often with guys and our rc engines running excessive ratios for no real reason other then hear say. 25 to 1 and 16 to 1 are "normal" ratios in rc 2 strokes (not nitro/glow engines) but nearly no one that doesn't race can tell you why they run that ratio, other then Jim Bob super moto gp racer runs that ratio in his husqkawsakimaha... so no reason in particular. But the same guy will complain that he has 3 gallons of gas through his rc engine and it's go so much carbon and spooge coming out the exhaust he doesn't know what to do. Usually it's from the excessive oil ratios being used in an engine that doesn't see the high sustained loads the moto gp/ mx riders engines sees, coupled with the guy can't tune an engine if his life depended on it.
It all needs taken into account when selecting what ratio you run. Doesn't mean it's bad information, just needs taken in context with the application you're using it for. (I think that made sense.)
Yea , oil always the biggest fight in forums,Lol 👍😆Just do Whatca like

It all needs taken into account when selecting what ratio/oil you run. Doesn't mean it's bad information, just needs taken in context with the application you're using it for. (I think that made sense.)
It’s a lot to do with tuning ur saw , to the ratio ur running correctly,👍

season 2 stir the pot GIF by MTV Floribama Shore

Welp, gonna have to switch to drain oil! :innocent:
I do have about 10 gallons of old motor oil saved up. Maybe I could run it in my hillbilly oiler 🤔

I run 32:1 in my milling saw at a rich 11,500rpm. It's def seeing sustained heavy loads!

Back