Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they will/do. The batch we currently have is overly friendly. I can't do anything outside without a group of them following me around. It's to the point where ill lead them into their run so I can do something outside. They do the same thing with our neighbor across the lane. If John out about half the chickens run over to his place to hang out.

yes, I believe it is 41%. I have a bottle of thay surfactant stuff. Ill post pics of the stuff when I get home.
Any issues with hawks , coyotes and others ?

Any issues with hawks , coyotes and others ?
No, actually haven't had any issues with predation. The one neighbor had issues with hawks years ago, but the hawk disappeared one day. (I had absolutely nothing to do with it.) Haven't had issues since. Half the time I forget to close them in their coop at night. Only issues we've had is with the fat red ones getting sick and one broke its leg somehow. All the rest have been a-ok.

No, actually haven't had any issues with predation. The one neighbor had issues with hawks years ago, but the hawk disappeared one day. (I had absolutely nothing to do with it.) Haven't had issues since. Half the time I forget to close them in their coop at night. Only issues we've had is with the fat red ones getting sick and one broke its leg somehow. All the rest have been a-ok.
Guinea hens are supposed to be really good as a tick deterrent, but way to noisy lol

I'm completely out of 2x6's, so today I sorted out some logs to mill,

Resized-20240312-133007-S.jpg

Now to get them milled!

SR

You like synthetic over conventional, Kubota oil is conventional , people say don’t use synthetic , then others say ok 🤔 dealer says conventional, what the hell do they know,Lol
The main reason I use it is cold starts. I don't always have time to wait for it to warm up with the block heater. It cranks much easier with the synthetic vs. the conventional 10w30.

You like synthetic over conventional, Kubota oil is conventional , people say don’t use synthetic , then others say ok 🤔 dealer says conventional, what the hell do they know,Lol
Did research on it. From what I see Kubota doesn't say synthetic is OK to use when it comes to warranty stuff. Looks like they do make a synthetic blend.

Ok gents, any preference on diesel oil for ur tractors , ?View attachment 1161564
We've run bulk Chevron Ursa 15w-40 in our ferry boats for over 20 years. I've been running it in Dad's BX series Kubota the entire time. Zero mechanical failures, doesn't use oil, doesn't smoke and still runs like a top after 2,300 hrs. of rough use and neglect. We use 15w-40 conventional Rotella in the tractors we have at work with very similar results.

If you decide to go the Chevron route, you may be forced to upgrade to Delo, as they have dropped a couple offerings from their product line recently.

Peacocks too... my 2 least favorite birds because they are so noisy.
Yup, my bil has a great big white peacock, I can't stand the frickin' thing. I think if we blasted it with one of Sawyer Rob's double barrel's and roasted it in one of SVK's Dutch ovens the world would be a better place,

Well, since I couldn’t come up with anything witty to say on the oil question :) I’ll just add Rotella 15-40 conventional oil in all my tractors over the years. Not one issue. Of course our weather is such that 5-40 isn’t necessary.
Yes. That was a prototype of sorts. The idea was to be able to quickly take it on and off for shorter/ longer wood reducing travel time on short stuff.
Thanks! Hickory and the dreaded sweet gum gives us fits:)

I have the original Pro X-cut chain on it.
If you can file and it's mostly clean wood, this stuff runs excellent on my 550 mark ii. I have recently gone to the stihl rspro 23 chain, but with the back and forth weather we've had a don't have enough time on it to give it a yeah or nay.

20240312_191144.jpg

Ok gents, any preference on diesel oil for ur tractors , ?View attachment 1161564
I use Rotella T6 15w-40 in my Kioti.

-------------------------------------------------------------
If you can file and it's mostly clean wood, this stuff runs excellent on my 550 mark ii. I have recently gone to the stihl rspro 23 chain, but with the back and forth weather we've had a don't have enough time on it to give it a yeah or nay.
‐‐------------------------------------------------------------
I also use the Stihl chains because they are harder steel like the X-Cut chains. I can hand file or do them on my chain sharpener. I find that the Oregon chain is not as hard.

Latest posts

Back